7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Oct 22, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #167 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by LQQK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that folks here like to try and compare the sound quality between the 160 Classic & iPhone 3GS, how about an iTouch, is it in the same league?

LQQK

There have been extensive discussions on the difference in SQ between the current Classic (6.5G 160) and the current model Touch (3G 32/64), and I seem to recall you posting in several of those threads .....

Depending on who you listen to, the SQ on the Touch is:

A. a massive improvement over the Classic
B. a slight improvement over the Classic
C. identical in sonic terms to the Classic

I would have picked door B based on my brief store audition, but there are plenty who went for A or C. For me, we've probably spent enough time on this - if you need more than 64GB and you want an iPod, you have two choices : iMod or 6.5G Classic. If not, spend the extra on the 64G Touch and enjoy everything that comes with it.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #168 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckturtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too, find enormeous results from burn-in. However, what I tried to convey above was that I had received 2 new 7th Gen Classics, and their SQ's, straight from the box, couldn't have been more opposite. One was quite thin, trebly and irritating while the other was warm, engaging and lush. I was surprise and did not expect the enormous differences. It leaves me with the impression that their quality control, and resulting SQ's, will differ greatly among their same product line.

Sonds like the issue with the touch being reported here.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #169 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been extensive discussions on the difference in SQ between the current Classic (6.5G 160) and the current model Touch (3G 32/64), and I seem to recall you posting in several of those threads .....

What threads are you talking about?

LQQK

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #170 of 548
I just received 160 GB Classic 2009, two of them exactly - black and silver. I briefly auditioned black one against my 5.5 gen 80 GB using ER-4S. I tried HP outs straight as well as line outs feeding XIN Supermicro. Tracks were lossless, genres were various, 2009 Classic was mint fresh, no burning-in have happened yet.

Well, 5.5 gen still wins. I would not describe the difference in details, let me say just this common "Classic is trebly and lifeless". I'd better burn-in 2009 Classic for some days and give it a chance later.

Believe me, I am really interested in upgrade - plenty of memory, slimmer design, Genius, better compatibilty with new accessories, faster syncronisation... All these benefits interest me very much. So I really hope 2009 Classic will sound better after the burn-in.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #171 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry to say this, but that's just ridiculous! It may be that the phones are lacking too, but it may very well be that the iPod (or any other inferior DAP) is just lacking a good amp. Why is that the SONYs have good EQs? I never heard complaining anyone ever about a SONY's EQ. Also I find the CLIP+ lacking in SQ compared to a Sony S (with lossy formats). The Sansa sounds like a tin can into my face. Not too bad if you like that kind of music (notes into your face), but personally I like a bigger sound stage and warmth in my listening. The Clip's EQ is just a joke, nothing more; any settings dulls the player's sound.

My point is that when you use EQ, it's because you're obviously not happy with something the headphone is already producing. Unless you're using completely balanced headphones....which IEM's aren't. Unless you're using an Ety IEM.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #172 of 548
Hey guys, if Apple Lossless music files were the only media on a new 160GB Classic, do you think that holds roughly 320-375 average albums? Just wanted to make sure my thinking was correct...

I only have experience with FLAC which looks like I got 2-2.5 albums per GB IIRC.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #173 of 548
For avg song length being 4 minutes, all ALAC on a 160GB Classic would yield you 6,127 songs...about 550-610 albums depending all on song length and length of albums.

iPod Storage Calculator | iLounge

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #174 of 548
Really? Holy crap!
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #176 of 548
Yep yep. By the time I have everything in lossless I'll have it pretty much filled. My Shure SE530's should be getting here soon. Hopefully tomorrow but looking more and more like next week.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #177 of 548
wow.. you have 152GB on all ALAC music. thats pretty amazing. I'd love to have all that!

I have about 5000 songs, and most are 320, with about 1000 being FLAC and ALAC. give or take a lil. All that was taking about 20GB or less on my Classic. and I then had Movies. I was only using 25GB of it. I recently sold it locally and got the 32GB 3rd Gen Touch. I've not loaded all my music on it yet. but now that I have this cool program called Air Video (for the touch, iphone) I can connect via Wifi and watch ANY movie, tv show from my PC's HD over the net on my touch. so now I'll only have to load music to my ipod and not worry about video's. or encoding them. as it does live coding and I can watch MKV files or whatever streamed over wifi.

Hopefully 32GB will be enough for me. I think it will work just perfect. plus I can always delete some of the girls music. lol
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #179 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I really hope 2009 Classic will sound better after the burn-in.

I found that amping the Classic from the lineout had a more profound effect than burn-in, although I do maintain that it improved overall after the first 12 or so hours - whether that's ear burn-in or something in the device is for others to judge. Ultimately, I want to hear one of these from the new Onkyo digital transport into my DAC, but thats still a couple of months away for me.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #180 of 548
After 3 days switching back and forth between the 09 Classic and the iPhone 3GS i still think that it has they have the same sound signature. The iPhone sounds slightly more clear but the gap is really tiny. I only can notice it on some albums that i know by heart and listening on a "psycho" critical mode.

As for music goes if could only have one device i will go with Classic with no hesitation. But hey the iPhone do tons of other things nicely. On a couple of years a 128Gb iPhone will kill the Classic for me.Until then i'll be using it a lot.

Recapping the reviews given on the thread can leave you scared since it seems that the sound quality of an Apple device depends on how lucky one is which is hard to believe actually. I still can't buy that theory. iPods are very reliable and that's a symptom of a good QC. It might be more related to personal tastes imo.

Anyway i'm listening more music than ever before. and music is what it's all about in the end. Using allmusic as a guide to discover new artists is great really
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back