7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Oct 6, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 548
I have compared my new iPod Classic 160gb with the iPod Touch 2G and the iPhone 3GS of my collegues at work today (with my JH13s) and I think that the SQ of the new iPod Classic 160gb is very close to the iPod Touch 2G and the iPhone 3GS straight out of the iPods/iPhone. (With Apple lossless files and with the EQ turned off on the 3 DAPs.)

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 548
can anyone tell me if it is possible to rockbox this version successfully? has anyone tried it?

thanks

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #19 of 548
Hi All,

I know that many Head-Fiers are either in college or have at least driven past one. One of the things that they teach in a college/university is the value of research, and a lot of the confusion around the various iPods arises from folk blazing into a forum with zero research behind them. I am a long way from being an authority on the iPod, so I will refer you to two very comprehensive sources:

iPod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

(and another for the iPhone: iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

The reason I include the iPhone is that many claim that the iPhone 3GS has the best SQ of any portable device ever released by Apple. Others make the same claim of the current Touch, and I personally consider my 6th Generation 160GB Classic to be the best sounding iPod I've ever heard. If you have a 7th Generation iPod, you must work in R&D at Apple Corp. The 6th Gen Classic was released early September 2009 - if there has been a subsequent release in the month since, it slipped by me.

I *suspect* that the current Shuffle has the same DAC used by the aforementioned releases of the Touch, iPhone and Classic, and that $1.15 chip is supplied by a company called Cirrus Logic. For those of us who have come to associate the name 'Wolfson' with high quality DACs in things like CD players, it seems incomprehensible that switching to a DAC from another company could improve SQ so markedly, and I suspect that the Apple engineers have done some serious tweaking, but whatever it is, I like it. Many have a counter view, and blame their perception on the new chip - all I can say is that you need to take your IEMs into an Apple Centre and audition one or more of the new players or the iPhone. I cant tell you whether the new models sound better than your old 160GB Classic, but I would be willing to bet that they sound better than any Nano you've ever heard.

Feel free to disregard all of the above as the rantings of a Sony fanboy, but *please* do a little research beyond Head-Fi.

estreeter

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #20 of 548
I abandoned 160 GB Classic (2008) due to the lifeless sound and returned to 5.5 gen 80 GB. But I am missing bigger capacity. So I have options either to upgrade with 240 GB drive or get this 7th gen Classic, if it really sounds better.

Please, someone compare new 2009 Classic to 2008 Classic.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #24 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have compared my new iPod Classic 160gb with the iPod Touch 2G and the iPhone 3GS of my collegues at work today and I think that the new iPod Classic 160gb sound as good as the iPod Touch 2G and the iPhone 3GS straight out of the iPods/iPhone. (With Apple lossless files and with the EQ turned off on the 3 DAPs.)

The headphones that I have used for the tests are the JH13s.

This unit is a keeper for me !

How would you compare it to the sound of 5.5 generation iPods?

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #26 of 548
The gen number is debatable i guess. In amazon is being sold a 7th gen that's why i included the release year as well
wink.gif

What i can confirm once again is that 2009 Classic sounds quite different in comparison with 2008 Classic 120 that i used intensively for 10 months. I prefer this year's model by far. I think it is fantastic. And no it's not rockboxable and it never will.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #27 of 548
I agree that the 160GB (2009) Classic sounds great, and I propose that it be known as:

iPod_Classic_6G_Sept_2009

Not as good as Sony's nomenclature, but it works for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #29 of 548
I never found the generation ID clear enough. Actually since i live in Europe and i did not want a capped iPod i ask to my father who was going to NY to buy for me the new Classic 160 and it was quite a struggle explaining him that he should avoid a Classic 160 that was released in 2007 and that i just wanted the Classic released in 2009.

Aside from this jargon issue i must confess that i'm enjoying very much the new Classic and i'm still shocked since i assumed from the beginning that its sound would remained unchanged so my surprise and enjoyment is being ENORMOUS. I would need 6 Iphones to keep the music that my classic holds.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #30 of 548
Well...

I bought a 2008 120 GB model and sold it one week after because of bad SQ. Now I'm getting curious wethere this one can satisfy me. Also, is there a volume hack possible on the new 2009 model? Or, is the HP out maybe a bit more powerfull to drive my K518's to decent levels?

Rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back