$700 tube amp for D2000 / HD650
Mar 11, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was wrong with D2000?

I don't think he's saying anything was wrong with the D2000. But tube amps make noises. If you're using phones that are really sensitive to low-level sounds, and you don't want hum, you may not want tubes. If you want hum-free and a very low noise floor, you might be better off looking for a SS amp with a particularly warm tone signature.

Tim

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

LeChuck, I found that you owned WooAudio 4 before. It is out of my $700 declared budget, but it is also a speaker amp, so I am ok with the price.

How did WooAudio 4 perform with D2000/HD650?
May you compare it to Darkvoice 337 or 332?

First and foremost, I loved my WA4 and it's one of the best amps I've ever owned, especially for driving the HD650's. Unfortunately the amp is extremely high gain/high power, with limited adjustability in that regard (it had a high/low gain switch, but I would also exclusively use it in low gain mode, even with HD650's, as I would rarely go bast 12 o'clock), so it was impractical for driving the very sensitive D5000's.

I couldn't effectively utilize the volume control, it would just get too loud too fast. Also, there was a mildly audible hiss with the D5000's, which I don't consider a fault of the WA4 since I experienced similar issues with all tube amps I used the D5000's with, and even some solid state ones.

Generally speaking I recommend the WA4, but if you plan on using a lot of highly sensitive cans, you might want to look elsewhere. I have a lot of cans with wildly varying sensitivities and impedance ratings, and I've generally found that the most versatile solutions are high-end solid state amps with extremely low noise floors, but also enough power on tap to drive whatever you throw at them.

I've never heard a Darkvoice 337, but I did prefer my WA4 to the 332 without having to deliberate much. That being said, I've never tried the 332 with sensitive cans.

Also, I had jack disable the speaker output functionality of my WA4 during a series of mods, in order to optimize it for headphone performance, so I can't comment on its speaker driving ability.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

What was wrong with D2000?

There is nothing wrong with D2000 and DV336i combo,
they just not sound as good as it's paired with Green solo.
DV336i introduce some tubes warmth to D2000, good bass extension and some nice mids, but nothing really special. I prefer when I paired D2000 to Green solo at that time, the combo giving me a big "WOW", I would say "very symphonic".

PS. No humm or Buzz found when I tried the DV336i, but there is several occasions, the music become distorted/bass breaking up this happen to be bad selection of tubes that incompatible for certain type of music.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by GZeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a nice DA6 in the classifieds.

What is DA6?

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he's saying anything was wrong with the D2000. But tube amps make noises. If you're using phones that are really sensitive to low-level sounds, and you don't want hum, you may not want tubes.

I just checked my LunchBox II again:
  1. Denon D2000 - no noise at all with volume pot maxxed
  2. ER-4P - no noise up to 9 o'clock, where I listen normally. Ocassional and very bearable noise appears at 11 o'clock. I tried music at this level and get pain in the ears.
Friend of mine listens to headphone out of his EL84 speakers amp with no complaints. I also heard no noise from his amp either with his SR225 or any of my cans.

I hope to find better amp than any of two basic amps mentioned above, which will no produce noise too.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

What is DA6?

Whoops! I meant to type WA6 (ie. WooAudio) but my fingers got in the way. Never mind though, its gone.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No humm or Buzz found when I tried the DV336i, but there is several occasions, the music become distorted/bass breaking up this happen to be bad selection of tubes that incompatible for certain type of music.

Looks like there is no enough power to drive Denons?

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

In all that noise, I couldn't find the actual reason you had for dismissing it?

In no way I dismissed WooAudio 6. Woo amps have good rep and look like a solid products. I was interested in direct comparison to Darkvoices from somebody.

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, lets discuss the topic and not attack each other. Thanks.

Tyrion commented Dorito123 posts.
Dorito123 is banned, so problem is gone.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Whoops! I meant to type WA6 (ie. WooAudio) but my fingers got in the way. Never mind though, its gone.
frown.gif

I guess I bought the other one around midnight - loaded with all the v-cap and blackgate upgrades available.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back