$700 to Spend at Best Buy
Dec 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ss32

New Head-Fier
This is my first post on here, so I hope I'm putting it in the correct place. I received a Bose Sounddock 10 for Christmas, but I plan on returning it. I made the mistake of buying Bose speakers a few years back and I know better now. Between that, and a gift card, I'll have $700 to spend at Best Buy. Is there any equipment sold at BB (speakers, headphones, receiver, etc) that is worth investing in that I should look at? I know it's not the best place to be looking for quality audio hardware, but I don't have much of a choice.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 25
They carry porta pros, ksc-75s, and the Shure in-ear monitor line (I believe) so if you need cheap portable headphones, they'll do.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 25
They also carry Klipsch's lower-end stuff, which is pretty decent, the "Synergy" line. Stay away from their newest stuff...I heard a demo in the Magnolia section of their newer, thinner speakers and they sounded like junk to me. I have a pair of B3's from the Synergy line, a bookshelf speaker that retails for about $300 I believe. They're a real steal. Even though I have many more expensive setups I still continue to use those because they can easily hold their own without a subwoofer and take up a lot less space than a huge pair of speakers.

On the headphone side, if you can get a pair of HD600's from Best Buy I would highly recommend it...excellent headphones. Please get yourself a pair of KSC-75's or PortaPros as well since they're so cheap and sound really good!

For receivers, look elsewhere...Best Buy doesn't carry anything worth buying. Look around your area on craigslist for an old 70's Harman/Kardon receiver (I have the 430, it's great) as you'll save a huge amount of money and have something that sounds a lot better than most of the junk at Best Buy.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 25
Great! Thanks for the replys. I'm getting ready to go look around and see what I can find in the store. IIRC, though, you can order anything online and pick it up in the store, correct?

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 25
This is mostly true but you may have to wait for the item to be shipped to the store. Best Buy has a system called "OMS" which allows us to order things for people from the website and have them shipped to the store or the customer. DOT-COM orders require the purchase to be made before the pickup, so with store credit that would not work as our online system does not accept store credit as a method of payment. So you may have to go into the store with the SKU of the product (for example, the HD600 is SKU 9265109) and tell them you would like it ordered. They'll get it setup and can even ring you out in the store. Keep in mind that the OMS system is not available in all stores, so your mileage may vary. Calling ahead is the best bet.

As a side note, if your local Best Buy has a musical instruments department, you'll be able to choose from a variety of studio monitors like the Maudio AV-40s and headphones like the Sennheiser HD-280 and HD-25s.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 25
Website has Sennheiser IE8s, and carries all the apple stuff, so get the 32 gb touch and you will have an outstanding portable system for your money between the two. The cd players, amps, receivers and speakers are noticeably mid to lo fi so i would stay away from them. You could always get a small LCD TV.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 25
I'd go for a laptop, flat screen or a DSLR with that money. Their prices can be good.

If you're bent on audio gear, you might think about posting a "want to trade" thread. Maybe someone would swap the headphones you really want for a new laptop from BestBuy.

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go for a laptop, flat screen or a DSLR with that money. Their prices can be good.

Yup, that was what i was thinking as well. I just came back from Best Buy, and their selection of headphones falls very far of stellar.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 25
Do not buy audio gear from Best Buy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 25
If you're a gamer in need of a laptop, I'd consider asking your local BBs to see if they have any G51vx-RX05s in stock, I've heard those are going on clearance for 6-700 dollars now.

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 25
I got a Samsung HTIB on sale at BB for Grandma. It was on sale for 350$. It doesn't compare to my system of course and I can hear it's deficiencies but Grandma and her neighbors are blown away by it. It was a hoot to watch her sit in front of it feeding in CDs so she could re-listen to all her music like she was hearing it for the first time. Along with the Sony Bravia 32" hooked up to a new HD cable service, she is in heaven, which makes it my best Christmas ever. She's actually my wife's mother. Sorry for the hijack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back