7 best earbuds rated. The winners are: Yuin PK1, Audio-Technica ATH-CM700, Yuin PK2
Jul 28, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #48 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and the PK1 just blows both away with the right amping, hehe.

Which is....?

I have PK-2's w/ iPod 80GB. I need lower bass for rap.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #49 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is....?

I have PK-2's w/ iPod 80GB. I need lower bass for rap.

Both PK1 and CM700 will be ok.

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #50 of 116
Hi, total forum newbie and relative audio-ignoramus here, so please go easy on me:). Great info about earbuds from all of you--awesome earbud breakdown from kostalex! My situation is pretty unique, but I figured I'd seek y'all's advice anyway.

I'm hearing impaired--not horribly so, but enough to need hearing aids. I love listening to music as often as possible, and that usually means portable (via my 80gig Ipod). Until recently, I've been using Sennheiser MX450s, but with a twist: I attach them to a special in-ear molding that I had my audiologist make (i.e., when I want to hear music, I take my hearing aids out and put the mold/Sennheiser bud combo in their place). The point is to get good quality sound into my canal so that I don't have to crank up the volume too much and further damage my hearing. Big headphones are typically out for me b/c they're not in the canal and I have to crank 'em up too much (ditto unaided buds). I can't afford the highest-end custom-made Shure/Ultimate Ears in-ear stuff right now (the hearing aids were expensive enough!:). And the few non-custom-made in-canal units I've tried were very uncomfortable (compared to the moldings my audiologist made, which exactly fit my canals, of course). So I'm pretty much limited to the molding/earbud combo for now.

The reason I'm posting is because my Senns are starting to short out on one side and I need new buds. I was just gonna get the MX500s (can't seem to find the 450s anymore, and I kinda like the volume control on the 500s anyway, given Ipod's pain-in-the-butt volume control), but then I heard about the Yuins. So to bring my longwinded post to a close, here are my questions: would an 80gig Ipod power the PK1s sufficiently to make it worth the extra cost compared to the PK2s (I wouldn't get an amp)? And is either Yuin unit so much better than Senn MX500s to justify their extra cost (i.e., even the cheaper PK2s are more than thrice the price of the Senns, though still within my budget; the PK1s are at the upper limits of my budget:)?

And a bonus question: do any of you by any chance have any experience (or know anyone else who has experience) with the special audiologist mold/earbud combo I'm describing? The molds are vastly inferior to UltimateEar-type designs b/c they don't contain any electronics (they're just conduits for bud sounds), so I'm curious to hear if any audiophiles out there have opinions on the quality of sound that comes out them, and whether the Yuin's apparent superiority would really come through when connected to such moldings. Any even vaguely relevant advice would be much much appreciated:). Thanks!

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #51 of 116
Don't buy the PK1s without an amp (I am listening to them right now, with a Microshar amp, and they sound absolutely fantastic. I'd buy the PK2s or 3s, which don't require an amp. And the entire line is excellent, you can't go wrong if it's buds you want.

Short answer. But yes, the PKs are the best buds you can buy, on all three price levels.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #55 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataphysismo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the PK/amp info, tstarn06, and for the general affirmation of the PK series' superiority in the bud field

No problem. They are really outstanding. I never thought I'd use earbuds ever again.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #56 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataphysismo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
earbud paired with separate audiologist molding?

Pataphysismo, I recommend NOT to use PK1 for custom molds. Converting earbud to canal phone (what mold exactly does) increase the bass a lot. Bass of the PK1 is already big, so I beleive that molded PK1's bass will be unbearable. Same opinion was raised by audiologists who offers PK1/PK2 moldings, you can find their thread (sponsored) somehere at head-fi. They recommend PK2 for custom molding instead of PK1 due to the bass issue.

I may also heartidly recommend Audio-Technica CM700 for this purpose. It is much better soundwise than PK2. It is also lean originally, so I beleive CM700 custom molded will be just perfection. Probably it will be in the same league with mid-fi armature IEMs, like UE 5pro, Shure E4 and Etymotic ER-4P.

Sep 10, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #57 of 116
kostalex, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to give such a great answer--that is so cool of you! I'll definitely check out everything you said, though it may take me a couple months or so to do it (I'm gettin' married in November, so my life and my wallet aren't really mine at the moment:). I had been planning on trying out the PK1s soon, and now I think I'll revise that plan and try the other two options you gave. For now, I'm using cheap but effective Senn MX 500s with my molds (to replace broken 450s; the 500s sound as good as the 450s if not better, so I'm certainly not suffering:). Take care, will post again when I have more to say after trying CM700 and/or PK2!

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #58 of 116
I've got these headphones:

Sennheiser HD-600, HD-25SP, MX-500; Westone UM2 (sold, considering W3); Beyerdynamic DT-770/250; V-Moda Remix M-Class; JVC Marshmallow.

I like best DT770, I didn't like UM2 too much (were not bad, but IMO the price for its SQ is too high).

I do like V-Moda best of portable phones I now have (I like em much more than Marshmallow, even MX500 sound better than Marshmallow, and btw earbuds which came with iPod are almost on par with MX500)...

Now, reading this thread made me wondering if PK1 would be a notable upgrade/improvement in SQ compared over V-Moda?

On move I mostly use iPod shuffle 1GB... I've also got XIN SuperMini-IV amp... So, should I go for PK1 and use SM-IV with iPod shuffle, or should I go for PK2 without the need for amp? (Well, I would take amp with me if PK1 with it sounds really much better than PK2 with/out it...)

Thoughts?

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #59 of 116
PK1 powered straight from Shuffle is not better overall than PK2. They are pretty close in this case, though it depends on your genres preferences. With fast rock/metal, PK1<-Shuffle is even worse than PK2<-Shuffle.

With regards to Shuffle -> XIN combo, I wonder if it worth it? Shuffle SQ is so-so and I doubt that it will be much better amped. Please, check and let us know what do you think. It is really interesting to know.

Marshmallow sound very much better kramer modded. I modded mine and use them with Shure E2 tips. Now I like them more than V-Moda Vibes and consider them (based on memories, not direct comparison) very close to UM2.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #60 of 116
Have we got earbud headphone/canal prices recommendation similiar to the range of Pk3 Yuin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back