6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Jan 31, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #271 of 1,004
Hi rb2013, Hi all,

I am a new member here. I have a NOS Reflector 74' 6H23pi-EB and a Reflector 78' 6H23pi-EB . The inside structure look like the same. Both are gray plate but different getter. According to your experience. Which one is better?

I am sorry about I can not attach any picture and image here.....and why??
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #272 of 1,004
  Hi rb2013, Hi all,

I am a new member here. I have a NOS Reflector 74' 6H23pi-EB and a Reflector 78' 6H23pi-EB . The inside structure look like the same. Both are gray plate but different getter. According to your experience. Which one is better?

I am sorry about I can not attach any picture and image here.....and why??
confused.gif
confused.gif

The -EB's are completely different design - using a dual dimpled plate getter post.  '74 or '78 Mediocre at best. The '74 and '75 6n23p Reflektor's are very rare and have a single wire getter post.

BTW the 6H23P or 6N23P are interchangeable - it's just a different interpretation of the Russian Cyrillic alphabet.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #273 of 1,004
This is what the HG's (and other components I have recently found) -  do 'Resolution', quoting Robert Harley from the latest Absolute Sound - this describes it perfectly:

But can a hi-fi system ever have too much resolution?
    That we would think to ask such a question reflects a general misconception of what resolution is.  To be fair, unless you've heard real honest-to-goodness resolution-it's impossible to appreciate its transformative effect on the listening experience.  Resolution has for a long time been conflated with threadbare timbres, exaggerated transients, desaturated tone colors, and a general absence of warmth.  The last iota of information is ruthlessly laid bare and the sound degenerates into sterility, resulting in rapid listening fatigue.
    That characterization is true of products that attempt to sound highly resolving without really delivering resolution.  These products hype transient leading edges, are tipped-up in the treble, add a metallic sheen to timbres, and try to impress with sonic fireworks rather then by revealing musical nuances.  As they say in Texas, "Big hat, no cattle".
    But a hi-fi system that delivers real resolution sounds nothing like this stereotype.  In fact, higher resolution renders greater tonal saturation, warmth, and instrumental body by virtue of reveling the timbral microstructure, which only contributes to a sense of realism and life.  Instrumental textures simply sound more like the real thing when a system  accurately portrays the instrument's harmonic and dynamic structure in all its finely textured glory.  Unfortunately, it's these low-level signal components that are the easiest to lose.  Resolution is shaved off in every stage of the audio chain, from tonearm resonances, to electronic colorations, the mechanical structures in transducers.  It takes extraordinarily skilled design to create products that deliver true resolution.
    But isn't resolution way down the list of matters most in hi-fi?  Once you get the marco-elements right- accurate tonal balance, extension at the frequency extremes, low distortion, wide dynamic range-resolving the finest signal components seems like a mere trifle to some.  My recent experience in my own system, aided in part by clean AC power and vibration control, suggests that resolution vaults the communication between musician and listener to new heights.
    Paradoxically, the finer the detail the greater its contribution to realism, and with that realism comes a deeper immersion in the music.  In fact, a truly resolving system sneaks up on you during a listening session.  At some point you snap out of an altered state and realize how captivated you've been.  This spell-like sense of being in the presence of the real thing is created in part because the brain is working less hard to decode the sounds-the high-resolution system has done the work for your brain, allowing you to focus on musical meaning.  Second, the system reveals to you aspects of the sound and of the performance that you never knew were there.  This phenomenon is particularly powerful when listening to records that you've heard hundreds of times over the years or decades.  You start listening to a record you thought you knew intimately only to discover nuances of musical expression that change your appreciation of the album. This discovery of newfound musical expressiveness, coupled with involvement is nothing less than transformative.

That is what resolution is all about and I'll take as much of it as a hi-fi system can deliver.

Realism, life like, spell binding, connection to the musicians - for me that's what it's all about.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #274 of 1,004

Thanks for the work on this thread.

I just stumbled across your work here seeking reinforcement for a recent tube purchase.  1974 6n23P single wire silver shields from that seller in Ukraine.  Seems I may have made a bad purchase decision.  BTW, when I inquired about 1975's, an auction appeared and they sent me a note. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #275 of 1,004
Another awesome 6922 tube hybrid HP amp - the Audeze 'The King'  Sweet!  the  HG's should sound mighty good in this baby!

Features

1. Dual ¼” unbalanced jacks
  2. True SPL power meters calibrated for specific headphones
  3. Clipping and overload indicators
  4. RCA signal inputs
  5. XLR inputs (converted internally to unbalanced)
  6. Filtered and fused AC power module
  7. 110/220V AC voltage selector
  8. Machined aluminum chasis
  9. Shock absorbing feet

Package Includes

1. 6-ft AC power cord

Tube Complement

1. Stock: E88CC, matched pair
  2. Compatible: 6DJ8 and variants including 6922, 7308, 7DJ8, ECC88, 6H23

Specifications

Output Power6W into 20 ohms load with less than 0.1% THD
Frequency Response10Hz-100KHz, -0.1dB
Total Harmonic DistortionLess than 0.1%, 20Hz-20KHz, full output
SNR-120dB, A weighted
Output impedance0.3 ohms
Input impedance10k ohms
Power requirement110-120V AC, 50/60Hz; 220-240V AC, 50/60Hz, externally switchable
Power consumption30W maximum
Dimensions300 mm x 110 mm x 325 mm
Weight9 kg

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #276 of 1,004
  Another awesome 6922 tube hybrid HP amp - the Audeze 'The King'  Sweet!  the  HG's should sound mighty good in this baby!

Features

1. Dual ¼” unbalanced jacks
  2. True SPL power meters calibrated for specific headphones
  3. Clipping and overload indicators
  4. RCA signal inputs
  5. XLR inputs (converted internally to unbalanced)
  6. Filtered and fused AC power module
  7. 110/220V AC voltage selector
  8. Machined aluminum chasis
  9. Shock absorbing feet

Package Includes

1. 6-ft AC power cord

Tube Complement

1. Stock: E88CC, matched pair
  2. Compatible: 6DJ8 and variants including 6922, 7308, 7DJ8, ECC88, 6H23

Specifications

Output Power6W into 20 ohms load with less than 0.1% THD
Frequency Response10Hz-100KHz, -0.1dB
Total Harmonic DistortionLess than 0.1%, 20Hz-20KHz, full output
SNR-120dB, A weighted
Output impedance0.3 ohms
Input impedance10k ohms
Power requirement110-120V AC, 50/60Hz; 220-240V AC, 50/60Hz, externally switchable
Power consumption30W maximum
Dimensions300 mm x 110 mm x 325 mm
Weight9 kg

Looks good but I don't know why they didn't bother making it balanced also.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #281 of 1,004
Hi, Guys, I have a question, hope someone could help me out.
I have a amplifier using 2x5670 to drive 6080. I know 5670 could be substituded by 6922. However, I just found 6922s are much expensive than 5670. I search online and I only see a site claimed 5670 is good enough, 6922s are not much better.
So I wonder anyone has experience of both types of tubes and how much improvement of 6922 to 5670.
Thanks in advance!

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #282 of 1,004
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922-6dj8-7308-pcc88/telefunken-e88cc-6922/

Is this the same tube the topic creator reviewed? Thinking about buying it for the Lyr 2...

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #284 of 1,004
Okay I bought it! Hoping to get more out of my Lyr 2 before thinking about buying a new amp.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #285 of 1,004
My first pair were used. I liked those so much, I bought a new back-up pair. Then when more tube amps came in, well you know.
Not saying it's my favorite all-time tube, but it is in the top grouping for me. Great benchmark tube. Glad I have them.
Plus, it will move along with you when you upgrade to the next 6922 amp. But it is a beauty for the Lyr2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back