6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Apr 27, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #181 of 1,003
Most of my collection are NOS or almost new. I might be wrong, but I always suggest friends to collect tubings which were made before 70s, especially 12AU7 of Amprex, made before March 1957 is a must.

I don't know about 12AU7 but the Russians were making good 6922 in the 70's

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #182 of 1,003

I can personally attest to the holography from the Siemens Cca. I have a pair of Amperex PW-I think they need burn in.
I'm now chasing 6N1P's since I have the Lyr….Next month I'll look for Telefunkens...

Love my Siemens CCa tubes, but my Telefunken E288CC tubes (early, re-branded Siemens and I have another pair re-branded as Philips) have the same 3D sound, but with greater clarity, IMO.
The Tele E188CC are killer, as well. Lots of great tubes out there; I need to add a pair of Philips Miniwatts to the collection 
beerchug.gif

I would add also Amperex orange globe 6GM8 - has also great holographic 3D soundstage :wink: Only Amperex tube that I can call "holographic" out of my collection. 

The fact that the 6N1P is currently in production. The fact that Schiit is using this tube, speaks to me.

http://www.rutubes.com/product/6n1p-ev-e88cc-6n1p-eb-6922-tube/

While it might not be the best sounding tube it has to be the best sounding tube for the price @$3.20 per tube with gold grids

I think this linked 6N1P-EB is almost "same" as the one I was talking about earlier but mine is without gold grid(actually not sure about it 100%) and should be NOS from 70`s with smaller rocket logo (newer ones should have larger Voskhod factory rocket logo):
Quote:

I haven`t got much russian tubes and can`t talk much along about these but I think the best I have is Voskhod 6H1N-EB with double wire support "cup-disc" getter, exposed heaters, small rocket logo.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #183 of 1,003
I would add also Amperex orange globe 6GM8 - has also great holographic 3D soundstage :wink: Only Amperex tube that I can call "holographic" out of my collection. 

I've got a few pairs of 6N1P's coming from Bob. I'm currently burning in a pair of Vokshod 6N23P Grey shields (1975).
I'm glad I have some socket savers on the way. I don't find it hard to swap tubes but this will make it easier!

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #184 of 1,003
@rb2013

What a fantastic work.

Thank you so much to share you knowledge with baby rollers like me!

i sent you a PM!

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #186 of 1,003
Just wanted to say thanks for the most interesting and insightful 6922 tube review I've seen to date.  Love the categories you selected in evaluating each tube and the care you took in painstakingly capturing the nuances of so many quality tubes.  Your insights on the Russian tubes are invaluable.  As a newcomer to the tube world with a modest tube phono preamp, the jungle surrounding vintage tubes is thick.  Thanks for the map and trail. I am already enjoying a pair of 74 Reflektor SWGP silver shields I scored on eBay.  Great job - thanks for the effort!

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #187 of 1,003
I ordered a pair of the 75 gray shields from rb to try out with my Brocksieper Earmax Pro amp and I can say that I am very very pleased with the results. The default tubes on the EMP are made by TAD but the rockets take this amp to another level. In fact there is no comparison between the TAD and the 75' gray shield rockets - the latter are in a completely different league. I haven't had a chance to compare these with any other 6922 variants but I am definitely tempted to. Sound wise the rockets are very very extended on both ends, instruments and voices are very real and very sweet and yet neutral, very wide sound soundstage and most importantly - fantastic bass. The bass is very pliant, very tight with oodles of nuances and details. The tubes are also very quiet - the silence between notes is very noticeable. All in all I am happy with the purchase. Money well spent.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #188 of 1,003
  I ordered a pair of the 75 gray shields from rb to try out with my Brocksieper Earmax Pro amp and I can say that I am very very pleased with the results. The default tubes on the EMP are made by TAD but the rockets take this amp to another level. In fact there is no comparison between the TAD and the 75' gray shield rockets - the latter are in a completely different league. I haven't had a chance to compare these with any other 6922 variants but I am definitely tempted to. Sound wise the rockets are very very extended on both ends, instruments and voices are very real and very sweet and yet neutral, very wide sound soundstage and most importantly - fantastic bass. The bass is very pliant, very tight with oodles of nuances and details. The tubes are also very quiet - the silence between notes is very noticeable. All in all I am happy with the purchase. Money well spent.

beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #189 of 1,003
Great write up on the HG 6n23p over on the Woo2 Tube rolling thread - couldn't have said it better myself.
bigsmile_face.gif

I figured I should chime in with my latest discovery in tube rolling.

For the past 6 months I have been playing Western 421As, Siemens CCAs, and Brimar EZ81s......a great sounding combo I was very happy with. I read a review about the Russian tube 6N23P Reflektor 1974 or 1975 single wire getter post. I found a used pair of '74s on ebay for $45 dollars and figured I would give them a try. I was impressed, to say the least. This pair beat my beloved $300+ pair of Siemens CCAs. It just had more life, more detail and had tremendous speed and agility. It played everything I threw at it with command and ease. How did this tube evade my radar for so long.

I contacted the seller and bought one of his prized pairs of matched '75s. This was a notch better than the '74s thatI was so impressed with. Wow!! Such incredible detail and imaging. Completely clear and transparent and very musical. This tube has elevated my WA2 to a new level of sound quality. My T1s never sounded better. I am very, very enamored with the sound of  this tube. I can not stop listening. I love my WA2/T1 combo

http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/480#post_11877440
Page 33 post #482

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #190 of 1,003
  Great write up on the HG 6n23p over on the Woo2 Tube rolling thread - couldn't have said it better myself.
bigsmile_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/480#post_11877440
Page 33 post #482

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Bob is back!

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #192 of 1,003
Whut up???  Been thinking about a MJOLNIR 2- sweet looking unit.

Been lost in DDC USB bridge land...about to post a 5 unit review!

Welcome back! It is sweet looking, right? Do try it out and let us know how it compares =)

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #194 of 1,003

Next on Daddy's toy list!  Exactly what I was looking for - a balanced version of the Lyr/Lyr2.  But it's even better - quieter with much lower distortion.

Best of all ----- it uses my HGs!
beerchug.gif

I'm tempted too, especially if it delivers more of what I like with the Lyr. I've heard so-so things about the original MJ though, so I wonder how much it will change with the new, tube'd up version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back