6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Nov 10, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #586 of 1,004
They're re likely revealing a weak source, or you bought from Ukrainian EBay dealers mismatched tubes. They didn't go from $25 to $230 because they sound as you describe.

What's your source and hps?

I have a metrum hex and hd800. I got my HG from Ivan.

Talking to Ivan i wouldnt be surprised if they get better as i put more hours into them. At the moment the mids are the highlight together with their flow

Im hoping the bottom end opens up like a flower too

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #587 of 1,004
I have a metrum hex and hd800. I got my HG from Ivan.

Talking to Ivan i wouldnt be surprised if they get better as i put more hours into them. At the moment the mids are the highlight together with their flow

Im hoping the bottom end opens up like a flower too
Nice DAC and HPs. The Hex is in class way above the Bumby.

How are you feeding the Hex. This part of the source chain is critical. See the comments on my XU208 and AOIP Rednet threads.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #588 of 1,004
Yes i agree as mentioned a few posts back

In my limited time with them, newly acquired, with my gear thats already quite smooth (woo wa2) i find them nicely flowing and easy listeneing. So i shall us them in that capacity but not as my main tubes.

I love my siemens cca. Punchy, dynamic very detailed. Nice extension. Not laid back at all.

I have some tele e188cc on the way but i have never heard any tele before

I also posted recently that my humble bugle boys ate fantastic value. They have ended up opening up quite similar to the siemens cca but not quite as detailed as layerd but heading that way and a touch warmer for half the price. These are quite musical and euphonic in a nice subtle way

If you dont find your system (too) bright then the siemens cca are worth looking at for something special IMHO. YMMV.

and if you find some cheap bugle boys (60's) then also maybe worth a look

I have also found the amperex usa 6922 with a nice level of detail (but not as much as the teles) without any harshness, nice even balance and a touch or round smoothness. Again my recently acquired amperex military 7308 are a little brighter/neutral but a little leaner as my first impression of them

Hope that helps a little

Hi,
thanks for the help
I am gonna try the PQ amperex 6922 USA gold pins soon I got them for $40 I think it's good deal.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #590 of 1,004
You guys have me rolling on the floor laughing. $40 for a of Amperex PQ 6922's.

What did PT Braun say about suckers?

Thanks for turning this into a comedy thread.
etysmile.gif

Hi,
I bought them here www.ebay.com/itm/131988847324
:)

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #591 of 1,004
Hi,
thanks for the help
I am gonna try the PQ amperex 6922 USA gold pins soon I got them for $40 I think it's good deal.
Thats a great price.

Let me know how you find them

And if you decide to sell them later for whatever reason you wont lose anything on them

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #592 of 1,004
Nice DAC and HPs. The Hex is in class way above the Bumby.

How are you feeding the Hex. This part of the source chain is critical. See the comments on my XU208 and AOIP Rednet threads.

Ill have a look at that when i get a chance later. Im always interested in learning from others and listening to their findings/opinions

I havent looked much into how im feeding the hex. Just using audirvana (aiff foles) or tidal app via usb connection from my mac

And some chord chameeon vee 3 rca connections.

And some gec 6as7g power tubes

And some norne hp cables (silver amd hybrid and copper)

Just basic stuff perhaps

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #595 of 1,004
Hi,
With the pair I got here (two seems to be 75 single wire silver shield) for $25 http://www.ebay.com/itm/142177008402 + the other one I bought and the one I already have, I will be testing 3 pairs of Reflector 1975  From there, hopefully, I will have a good idea how it's supposed to sound. But the first pair I bought is probably very good already, no noise. The sound match your description except for the "musicality" and "euphonic".

When I roll to Orange Globes 1969 (not the best but what I have now) the music is more groovy.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #596 of 1,004
I've been skulking around this thread for some time and finally had a chance to try the Reflektor '74 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields. Fantastic tubes for what I paid and more enjoyable than the 70's Amperex Orange Globe A-Frames I was using prior.

Now the problem created is finding more. I'd like a back up set if some one has some they're willing to let go of...

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #597 of 1,004
  I've been skulking around this thread for some time and finally had a chance to try the Reflektor '74 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields. Fantastic tubes for what I paid and more enjoyable than the 70's Amperex Orange Globe A-Frames I was using prior.

Now the problem created is finding more. I'd like a back up set if some one has some they're willing to let go of...

Maybe ask this seller he seems to have a couple of Ref '74 www.ebay.com/itm/142165593160
There is many lot of this kind on ebay. I suppose at a lower price it is ok to take a risk you end up with many pair of tubes and an interesting resell value.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #598 of 1,004
  Maybe ask this seller he seems to have a couple of Ref '74 www.ebay.com/itm/142165593160
There is many lot of this kind on ebay. I suppose at a lower price it is ok to take a risk you end up with many pair of tubes and an interesting resell value.

I'm without a tube tester (yes I know...) to be into buying lots. May have already sourced some from a reliable source, we'll see how it turns out.

Anybody know what the average pair of 74 's and 75's are going for tested and matched? 

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #600 of 1,004
I'm without a tube tester (yes I know...) to be into buying lots. May have already sourced some from a reliable source, we'll see how it turns out.

Anybody know what the average pair of 74 's and 75's are going for tested and matched? 
I was the ONLY seller to reliably sell well vetted matched HG pairs. Actually tested for noise and microphonics. Guess you never bothered to read this thread. Bought hundreds from these Ukrainian Ebay thieves. Grimmy bent pin tubes sold as new, what a joke. Ebay sucks for enforcement of bad sellers.

Before I started this thread, I could buy HG pairs for $40. 40% where fails if they where actually HG's. ALL where pulls! But after buying enough I could test and listen to assemble quality mtached pairs. See my Ebay history rb90002009.

Not so anymore. But jacka** show up here occasionally with there bs $25/pr stories.

Yeah right. Good luck. You are lucky to pay $200/pr for a lottery ticket to a decent pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back