6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Dec 13, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #601 of 1,003
<stuff removed>

Yeah right. Good luck. You are lucky to pay $200/pr for a lottery ticket to a decent pair.

"There's a sucker born every minute" is the phrase attributed to P. T. Barnum.  Apparently there is no evidence he actually said it.

I however have read the entire thread and appreciate the knowledge and advice given here.

I am breaking in some HD700 Sennheiser headphones connected to a new Valhalla 2 that I am also breaking in.  The Valhalla 2 came with Voskhod's with 75 on the front.  I will see if the best of my iPhone pics is worth posting.  The Valhalla 2 has about 120 hours on it and the HD700s have maybe 200 hours on them.  Since the Valhalla 2 arrived they have been on together only a bit less that 24x7.  The issues are too much bite to horns,etc., lower to mid treble peak, and weaker bass than I would prefer.  Also,  I am getting a sharp edge to the treble some of the time which is noticeable on cymbals.  Source is mainly 2010 MacBook Pro 17" i7 (maxxed out with SSD added internally) running MacOS Sierra playing Tidal HiFi and other streams to a Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC to the Valhalla 2 via Monster's lowend 3/8 to rca's cable that is connected to the line ins on the back of the Valhalla 2.

I don't want to loose the high end as I am someone who listened to loud rock during his youth and am enjoying hearing mostly all the cymbal work in the better Jazz recordings.  I would like smooth the upper mids and lower treble and add some additional weight to the bottom end.  Any ideas?

Overall I am enjoying the system.  By the way,  the Explorer2 sounds surprisingly good feeding the main HiFi.  And you folks should hear MQA.  Take it from an analog guy.

Thanks to RB2013 for starting this informative thread.

Y'all take care,
Robert A. Ober

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #602 of 1,003

<stuff removed>

Yeah right. Good luck. You are lucky to pay $200/pr for a lottery ticket to a decent pair.

"There's a sucker born every minute" is the phrase attributed to P. T. Barnum.  Apparently there is no evidence he actually said it.

I however have read the entire thread and appreciate the knowledge and advice given here.

I am breaking in some HD700 Sennheiser headphones connected to a new Valhalla 2 that I am also breaking in.  The Valhalla 2 came with Voskhod's with 75 on the front.  I will see if the best of my iPhone pics is worth posting.  The Valhalla 2 has about 120 hours on it and the HD700s have maybe 200 hours on them.  Since the Valhalla 2 arrived they have been on together only a bit less that 24x7.  The issues are too much bite to horns,etc., lower to mid treble peak, and weaker bass than I would prefer.  Also,  I am getting a sharp edge to the treble some of the time which is noticeable on cymbals.  Source is mainly 2010 MacBook Pro 17" i7 (maxxed out with SSD added internally) running MacOS Sierra playing Tidal HiFi and other streams to a Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC to the Valhalla 2 via Monster's lowend 3/8 to rca's cable that is connected to the line ins on the back of the Valhalla 2.

I don't want to loose the high end as I am someone who listened to loud rock during his youth and am enjoying hearing mostly all the cymbal work in the better Jazz recordings.  I would like smooth the upper mids and lower treble and add some additional weight to the bottom end.  Any ideas?

Overall I am enjoying the system.  By the way,  the Explorer2 sounds surprisingly good feeding the main HiFi.  And you folks should hear MQA.  Take it from an analog guy.

Thanks to RB2013 for starting this informative thread.

Y'all take care,
Robert A. Ober

Most likely the harshness in the treble is coming from the source chain.  I would look for some tubes in the 'Dutch' variety - Philips/Valvo/Amperex...they can tame a bright top end.

Good luck

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #604 of 1,003
I know this is going to sound lazy, and I guess it is. But, what's the best quality 6922 tube I can get for my Mjolnir 2 by simply going to a website and ordering? I'm not interested in rolling, just pointing and clicking. Thanks in advance!

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #605 of 1,003
I know this is going to sound lazy, and I guess it is. But, what's the best quality 6922 tube I can get for my Mjolnir 2 by simply going to a website and ordering? I'm not interested in rolling, just pointing and clicking. Thanks in advance!

Well if you do not want to roll and get some superb NOS tubes, you could get some Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/ 6922 tubes, for about $49.95 a tube, from sites like Upscale Audio or Tube World/ Tubemonger.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #606 of 1,003
Did you sell it? If so, for how much? I couldn't find one and just ordered a Mjolnir 2.

Yep. Yep. I sold it, 2,550.
The second "yep" is that it does sound lazy. And I asked the exact same question many times. It's a perfectly reasonable question and it has no answer. Choice of cans, musical taste, volume levels, dac used; there is no answer because there are too many variables to consider. If there were such a thing as a best tube there would a best headphone. But different ears have different loves. The best you can do is feel around the descriptions and figure out what matters to you. There is some trial and error involved. Good luck.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #607 of 1,003
Well if you do not want to roll and get some superb NOS tubes, you could get some Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/ 6922 tubes, for about $49.95 a tube, from sites like Upscale Audio or Tube World/ Tubemonger.

This quote may be correct but I found listener's reviews more valuable than the recommendations of the merchant. Even the most well meaning merchant is influenced by the profitability of various tubes. It's only human.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #608 of 1,003
This quote may be correct but I found listener's reviews more valuable than the recommendations of the merchant. Even the most well meaning merchant is influenced by the profitability of various tubes. It's only human.

I am not a merchant, but I like the gold lion because they are pretty easy to obtain and I like the way the tubes sound in my various amps. I use the Gold Lion for every day jamming and will use my NOS tubes for special occasions. I prefer using the Gold Lions in the Liquid Glass. I agree the merchant is influenced by the profitability of the various tubes. I also know one can sometime score a pair of NOS tubes for less than a pair of Gold Lions. I was very fortunate to get my NOS Telefunken E88CC tubes for relatively cheap, however I rarely use them.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #609 of 1,003
I am not a merchant, but I like the gold lion because they are pretty easy to obtain and I like the way the tubes sound in my various amps. I use the Gold Lion for every day jamming and will use my NOS tubes for special occasions. I prefer using the Gold Lions in the Liquid Glass. I agree the merchant is influenced by the profitability of the various tubes. I also know one can sometime score a pair of NOS tubes for less than a pair of Gold Lions. I was very fortunate to get my NOS Telefunken E88CC tubes for relatively cheap, however I rarely use them.

When you say you "snagged" them, are you able to say how one might "snag" some for themselves? Is it all ebay or what? If these tubes are so old..how are they still available? 

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #610 of 1,003
When you say you "snagged" them, are you able to say how one might "snag" some for themselves? Is it all ebay or what? If these tubes are so old..how are they still available? 

Somebody I knew, was going into a assisted living facility and he sold me a extra pair for a very reasonable price, but I had been moving his stuff and watching his wife. I have never had any luck on EBay. That is the main reason I only have a few sets of tubes.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #613 of 1,003
Brent Jesse Siemens 60's gray shields CCa's. Buy'em and forget tube rolling

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #614 of 1,003
Brent Jesse Siemens 60's gray shields CCa's. Buy'em and forget tube rolling

I need to try out these tubes. Rather have these tubes than the Gold Lions.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #615 of 1,003
  Thats why I don't even want to try... lol

That's what i was worried about when i first started with tubes 2 years ago. And bought some from Brent Jessee who was very useful

But they are a lot cheaper on ebay.

You should be fine - just stick to sellers that sell a lot of tubes and have a great history - as in 99.8% success.

And you can always ask here or in the "Schiit Lyr tube rollers" thread or even in a woo wa2 thread about any experiences with particular buyers.
There are a lot of compulsive, addicted tube buyers that are always part of the thread - they probably call ourselves themselves tube connoisseurs, rather than addicts. They can usually give you some sound advice.

and of course you can always look for sellers with very strong histories that also accept refunds (listed on their items) if there is an issue. You also always have the paypal protection too.

at the end of the day i won't say it's 100% foolproof but by exercising a good level of caution you should be fine

anyway that's my 2c worth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back