6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Apr 3, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #46 of 1,004
  Good Luck!  I hope you find a garage full some where!

I bet that's what you dream about a night...  A box of 75HG's in somebody's garage, lol.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #48 of 1,004

I bet that's what you dream about a night...  A box of 75HG's in somebody's garage, lol.

I watch that show 'American Pickers' a lot - I love old motorcycles.  I imagine picking in Russia and crawling through some old soviet Space engineer's garage and finding boxes of them.  Then banging back a few shots of vodka to seal the deal. lol

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #49 of 1,004
All I can search for now is a matched pair 6N23P Voskhod Rocket Single Wire Grey Shield.

My first try to tube rolling (crossing fingers of not being scammed)... Thanks for the help.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #50 of 1,004
  All I can search for now is a matched pair 6N23P Voskhod Rocket Single Wire Grey Shield.

My first try to tube rolling (crossing fingers of not being scammed)... Thanks for the help.

A word of caution - approximately 40% of the tubes I have bought from these Eastern European and Russian Ebay dealers have failed testing or are noisy.  So Buyer Beware!  The '74 and '75 Reflektors silver shield SWGP (single wire getter post) can be found - but are rare and not easy to find.

Good luck on your hunt!

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #51 of 1,004
Bob could have probably helped you out if you were looking for a great inexpensive set of Russian tubes. Hope it all works out for you.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #52 of 1,004
Thanks Bro!

Just new on these things and kind of don't want to bother other people from a newbie... 

@rb2013's article just helped me a ton. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #53 of 1,004
You're definitely not a bother. Lol. Bob is the Russian tube guru. He has a lot of great tubes , at very reasonable prices. Dealing with him , you know that you're getting the best deal for premium tested tubes. Should the ones you've ordered not work out, send him a pm , for the real deal. Cheers
Thanks Bro!

Just new on these things and kind of don't want to bother other people from a newbie... 

@rb2013
's article just helped me a ton. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #54 of 1,004
You're definitely not a bother. Lol. Bob is the Russian tube guru. He has a lot of great tubes , at very reasonable prices. Dealing with him , you know that you're getting the best deal for premium tested tubes. Should the ones you've ordered not work out, send him a pm , for the real deal. Cheers

Saint Nicholi Robert the III they call me.  lol!

I have very few left over tubes - most of what I have for sale are the Amperex, Siemens, Valvo, (Ei Yugo)labeled Mullard.  I hope one of the tube dealers would start offering the '70s vintage Russians - maybe based on this review someone will.  I know that at least one has read it.  I realize they want to buy in large bulk packs.  Dealing with some of these Eastern European Ebay dealer is a horror show.  For example, found a single HG's but had to buy three other lessor tubes with it. When it arrived the HG failed grid emissions testing on my tube tester - Ugg!  Now these might or might not work in an amp  - but they could cause problems and will likely fail soon.  So I just thrown them in the 'Fail' box.  The dealer wants me to ship it back to the Ukraine for a refund!  Yeah right.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #56 of 1,004
PM sent  
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #57 of 1,004

+1 What he said.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #58 of 1,004
All righty then...once again rb2013, many thanks for this great and detailed review. I am glad you broke this off the main Lyr tube rollers thread so we can come here for a discussion on the best of the best tubes. The analysis was excellent and insightful and sure will help tweak my critical listening and evaluation of tubes rolled in.

Here are questions I would like to hear people's response to:

1) Would it be safe to say that certain tubes lend themselves better to a certain genres than others? And if you are so picky, you can have a set of go-to tubes based on genre?

2)  Given that your top 10 tubes are so close to each other in total points, would it be a fair statement for a new tube roller to shoot for owning any one of those top 10 and he/she would be in a good shape?

3) I have always disregarded claims of cryo-treatment and the like for tube pins, given that your number 1 pick does't even have gold pins, are my beliefs corroborated? Cryo- and similar fancy treatment to pins is just another way to pay more for something that doesn't add much to the sonics of the tube?

4) Why has the legendary aura built up so much around the S&H CCas, Amperex OGs Halo/O-Getters, Tele's CCas (i.e. the top tubes)? Is it the higher military specs, the increased lifetime of the heater, the low-noise / micophonics for these 6dj8 that make them so sought after?

5) Where is the best place for a new tube rollers to acquire tubes? While I started on eBay, I have been exclusively buying from fellow members on the tube rolling thread because I trust them. Would you guys also recommend additional places like Brent Jesse, Upscale Audio, & others?

Once again Bob, well done and thank you for the reviews.

Cheers

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #59 of 1,004
Regarding #1 , I would say the hardest part is finding an all around tube. For me , even after owning the CCa's, the HG's are so far , an all around tube. Yes , the CCa's , did things better on a lot of songs, but also made me skip songs because of it's nature. With the HG's , I hit play and whatever plays, stays. I never feel the need to skip music.
I also believe that synergy , plays a roll with gear. The right tube , with the right amp , with the right DAC, with the right phones , are all factors , in finding the "end game" rig. One of the things I've learned here, is ALWAYS trust your ears , first and foremost. Reviews , help, but at the end of the day , it's really preference , and synergy, upon hearing it imo.
All righty then...once again rb2013, many thanks for this great and detailed review. I am glad you broke this off the main Lyr tube rollers thread so we can come here for a discussion on the best of the best tubes. The analysis was excellent and insightful and sure will help tweak my critical listening and evaluation of tubes rolled in.

1) Would it be safe to say that certain tubes lend themselves better to a certain genres than others? And if you are so picky, you can have a set of go-to tubes based on genre?

2)  Given that your top 10 tubes are so close to each other in total points, would it be a fair statement for a new tube roller to shoot for owning any one of those top 10 and he/she would be in a good shape?

3) I have always disregarded claims of cryo-treatment and the like for tube pins, given that your number 1 pick does't even have gold pins, are my beliefs corroborated? Cryo- and similar fancy treatment to pins is just another way to pay more for something that doesn't add much to the sonics of the tube?

4) Why has the legendary aura built up so much around the S&H CCas, Amperex OGs Halo/O-Getters, Tele's CCas (i.e. the top tubes)? Is it the higher military specs, the increased lifetime of the heater, the low-noise / micophonics for these 6dj8 that make them so sought after?

5) Where is the best place for a new tube rollers to acquire tubes? While I started on eBay, I have been exclusively buying from fellow members on the tube rolling thread because I trust them. Would you guys also recommend additional places like Brent Jesse, Upscale Audio, & others?

Cheers

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #60 of 1,004
Regarding #1 , I would say the hardest part is finding an all around tube. For me , even after owning the CCa's, the HG's are so far , an all around tube. Yes , the CCa's , did things better on a lot of songs, but also made me skip songs because of it's nature. With the HG's , I hit play and whatever plays, stays. I never feel the need to skip music.
I also believe that synergy , plays a roll with gear. The right tube , with the right amp , with the right DAC, with the right phones , are all factors , in finding the "end game" rig. One of the things I've learned here, is ALWAYS trust your ears , first and foremost. Reviews , help, but at the end of the day , it's really preference , and synergy, upon hearing it imo.

Cheers

+1 on the HGs...Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back