650'S After listening to the 800'S for a month or so.....
Jul 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it simple....straight from a Marantz cd5001. No tweaking no tubes, no what ifs? Plug and play...thats it.

You mean you don't have an amp? Other than the 25 cent opamp in the Marantz? And you're using a $1300 headphone?

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean you don't have an amp? Other than the 25 cent opamp in the Marantz? And you're using a $1300 headphone?

$1,400.
wink_face.gif

Also how long do you think Sennheiser is going to produce the Sennheiser HD800? I'm getting them later this year and hope it's not done by then, lol.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

NOT GOOD.......

The 650's are bloated, bass heavy, lack detail and are completely unlistenable. I can't believe the difference between the 2 sets of cans. It's like the first time I heard 600's compared to the "free" sony headphones you get with those portable cd players...back in the day....it's that big of a difference.

My impressions as well though I wouldn´t say you couldn´t listen to them. But I can listen to 50$ headphones too if I must
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn´t have to pay 1400$ to see that though lol

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

NOT GOOD.......

The 650's are bloated, bass heavy, lack detail and are completely unlistenable. I can't believe the difference between the 2 sets of cans. It's like the first time I heard 600's compared to the "free" sony headphones you get with those portable cd players...back in the day....it's that big of a difference.

Sure if you don't give the HD650 enough juice. Drive them balanced the HD 650 is totally different headphone.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure if you don't give the HD650 enough juice. Drive them balanced the HD 650 is totally different headphone.

Probably would still be like bringing a knife to a gunfight.
bigsmile_face.gif

The 650s are fantastic at their price point, though.
I loved mine w/SAA equinox and now someone else is
enjoying them.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #21 of 40
What's interesting, once you get used to the oversized "put-on-and-disappear" earcups of the HD800, every other phones touching your ears will feel a bit uncomfortable or strange. After about two weeks with HD800 the swap to HD650 felt really weird, even though they were touching only the back of my ears a little.

Sonically wise, what struck me most was the distortion and coloration of the HD650. There simply is no way going back. Even though there are moments when I wish the HD800 being more musical, but quite frankly the change to HD650 doesn't help it much in that respect. The faults are too glaring.

As someone said elsewhere: sometimes your heart might be lusting for some other phone but your mind know which is the more proficient one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The need for headphone balancing is often overstated here. I've heard both headphones both ways out of the Dynamight (level matched) and the balancing is only icing on the cake IMHO. My above comments apply to HD800 balanced stock cable vs. balanced SAA's Equinox on HD650.

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #23 of 40
So.... I am very few of people still enjoying HD650 while having HD800....

IMHO HD650 are truly musical cans while K701 and HD800 are more analytical.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

NOT GOOD.......

The 650's are bloated, bass heavy, lack detail...

Well, this is how the HD650s sound when coming from the HD580s.
wink.gif

At CJ, there were even a few setups (bal HD650/se HD800) where I thought the HD650s competed quite well, but these were on far from the best HD800 performing rigs (and HD800 also not balanced).

That all said, having the HD800s for a while make me want to give the K701s another shot for backup duty. Someone else accurately called the HD800s "super-charged K701s."

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, only 25 cents? Where did you get this information? I'd love to read more
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #27 of 40
I never thought the HD650 could compete with any of the top tier cans. No matter how much headfi wanted to elevate them due to the fact that it was Senns flagship. I always thought they were priced right (street price), and never felt that they could hold a candle to the top cans.

I couldn't convince many here that there was a definite veil, but it sounds like the HD800 is giving more credibility to that claim. I preferred the HD600 which also doesn't compete in speed, clarity, detail, etc. with the top phones.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Your avatar is inappropriate

Please expand on that statement. Obviously the intent is not to offend, so if there is a legitimate reason for your statement. I'm more than happy to change it out.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never thought the HD650 could compete with any of the top tier cans. No matter how much headfi wanted to elevate them due to the fact that it was Senns flagship. I always thought they were priced right (street price), and never felt that they could hold a candle to the top cans.

I think on the other side of the coin, it really depends on how you judge. Many of the "top-tier" phones have significant issues and it's all about how you value what they do just right versus the weight of what they don't. The reason Senn is the only dynamic manufacturer to pull me back from electrostatics is because I thought their models were better all-rounders (all things considered) than K1K, GS1K, 02, Qualia, etc. It's one thing to say they fall behind when we collect phones to perform specific functions, but that may be celebrating some amazing strengths each can has at the expense of weighting some mediocre performing weaknesses (cause we just switch phones for that music). Or maybe it's as simple as which weakness most brothers us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back