650'S After listening to the 800'S for a month or so.....
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean you don't have an amp? Other than the 25 cent opamp in the Marantz? And you're using a $1300 headphone?

yup

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by raccoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, only 25 cents? Where did you get this information? I'd love to read more
biggrin.gif

Commercial op-amps in bulk are usually priced something like that.
op-amp price sheet

If it were me, I'd spend less on the headphone and get a decent amp.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Commercial op-amps in bulk are usually priced something like that.
op-amp price sheet

Right, but which one is used in the Marantz? What I'm getting at is it's not fair to say that his particular unit is similar to the ones you've run across. Unless if I'm misunderstanding and that you did use his particular model and found it inadequate.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #34 of 40
Though usually CDP, receivers, etc. have lame headamps, there are exceptions, so which of those criticizing have actually heard the CD5001 with at least one upper Senn model?

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650's are bloated, bass heavy, lack detail and are completely unlistenable. I can't believe the difference between the 2 sets of cans. It's like the first time I heard 600's compared to the "free" sony headphones you get with those portable cd players...back in the day....it's that big of a difference.

So I assume the 800 is bassless, bright and hyper-detailed?

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by googlephone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
feifan
I see you have the 650's balanced. Does the 800's sound that much better than the 650's balanced or is this just a comparison to the single ended flavor? Any plans on turning the 800's balanced?

BTW, googlephone, you've got the best avatar in the Head-fi house. Second ain't even close!

Re your question: I agree with cafe zeenuts who say, "Drive them balanced the HD 650 is totally different headphone." Yeah, the HD800 and HD650 balanced are completely different animals. The HD650B is also completely different from the HD650SE. Balanced, the veil and darkness are gone. You get the dynamic power and clarity that's lacking in the SE. It's not bright, but it's intense. The difference is stunning. I'm running the balanced off the HRD with the home module and DAC plus DPS. I notice that HR is offering an HR balanced amp with the max module, and coupled with their new standalone maxed DAC, I have a feeling the HD650B's intensity may be softened a bit with more of the HD650SE's musicality. I haven't heard the new balanced desktop combo, though.

No plans to go balanced with the HD800. Stock, out of the box, with a wide range of amps, the SQ is off the charts. The OP mentions running the HD800 off a component player's amp and reports getting great sound. I'm not surprised. But I'm a Head-fier, and I gotta be curious about the balanced HD800. I'm almost afraid to find out. My wallets screaming bloody murder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would simply say their is always times that, as it is with this hobby, I do like different presentations and this is where, to me, the Grados fill the bill...or, say..a closed headphone, etc...the hd650 would present a bit of a bass slam for those times when one would like this. History will reveal that the HD800 went where other's, up to this point, simply failed to attempt to arrive at. I was willing to pay for their efforts and I've received my rewards. What's wrong?

Absolutely nothing, Drumonron. I agree 100%. I'd never give up my HD650. For pure fun, Tom Cruise get up in your BVDs and rock, the 650 is a slam. I also love the GS1K -- arguably the warmest 'phones ever. And I have the HF1 on order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's interesting, once you get used to the oversized "put-on-and-disappear" earcups of the HD800, every other phones touching your ears will feel a bit uncomfortable or strange. After about two weeks with HD800 the swap to HD650 felt really weird, even though they were touching only the back of my ears a little.

x2. After the HD800, the 650 feels like clamps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.... I am very few of people still enjoying HD650 while having HD800....

IMHO HD650 are truly musical cans while K701 and HD800 are more analytical.

x2. We're on the same wavelength.

Quote:

I have to disagree. If a person can afford to do so, I'd suggest getting the best 'phones then work back upstream. This way you'll know what works with the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's true. I don't think she is really hearing anything with those. Please, someone put them on her head and then retake the image so we know she got it right.

jamato8, you have my vote for Head-fi secretary of state.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #37 of 40
i thought the 650 held up rather well against the 800. as of now, i have no intention to sell my 650. on the other hand, the 701 sounded pretty bad in comparison. i actually think pretty highly of the 701, so i was quite surprised. the 800 just bettered it and often by a lot in every single category. so that is for sale. the 600 too did not hold up against the 800. another one on the block.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought the 650 held up rather well against the 800. as of now, i have no intention to sell my 650. on the other hand, the 701 sounded pretty bad in comparison. i actually think pretty highly of the 701, so i was quite surprised. the 800 just bettered it and often by a lot in every single category. so that is for sale. the 600 too did not hold up against the 800. another one on the block.

OK. So what equipment was used when making these comparisons?

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #40 of 40
Sounds like I wasn't alone in my impressions of my 650s w/ Equinox! After a mere 30 seconds I took them off and swore they would never again spend time in my rig. The dark presentation and thick music simply wasn't enjoyable at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back