650'S After listening to the 800'S for a month or so.....
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

vai-777

100+ Head-Fier
NOT GOOD.......

The 650's are bloated, bass heavy, lack detail and are completely unlistenable. I can't believe the difference between the 2 sets of cans. It's like the first time I heard 600's compared to the "free" sony headphones you get with those portable cd players...back in the day....it's that big of a difference.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOT GOOD.......

The 650's are bloated, bass heavy, lack detail and are completely unlistenable. I can't believe the difference between the 2 sets of cans. It's like the first time I heard 600's compared to the "free" sony headphones you get with those portable cd players...back in the day....it's that big of a difference.

What sound card, amp, or other equipment are you plugging these headphones into?

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 40
LOL...my impressions also and yes, if you're happy with your current headphone DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT listen to the hd800s for an extended amount of time as the effects are irreversible.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card, amp, or other equipment are you plugging these headphones into?

I like it simple....straight from a Marantz cd5001. No tweaking no tubes, no what ifs? Plug and play...thats it.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 40
perhaps that's a new warning the govt will mandate much like the absurd stickers on cigs

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

NOT GOOD.......

Yeah, it's a whole new ball game from this point on. I can see other high-end 'phone manufacturers taking the HD800 apart and trying to reverse engineer it to come up with their own version of the HD800, but I don't think they'll get close. It's not just the materials and the engineering. It's a process, and it's one that you can't copy by analyzing the end product. Sennheiser's not letting the cat out of the bag so the HD800 sound is locked in. When we paid $1400 for it, we were paying for that process, that art, as we would the skilled hands of a surgeon. Each pair takes a tremendous amount of time and expertise, and I'm guessing that Senns is actually losing money or not making a whole lot off the HD800. It's a niche product for an extremely small population of audiophiles, and as such, Senns is providing a service rather than exploiting the market. I'm sure they're not planning to keep producing them indefinitely. At some point, they're going to stop because they can't afford to keep doing this. I think we have a classic in the making that will become increasingly rare as the years pass.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 40
feifan

I see you have the 650's balanced. Does the 800's sound that much better than the 650's balanced or is this just a comparison to the single ended flavor? Any plans on turning the 800's balanced?

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 40
Your avatar is inappropriate

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

The 650's are bloated, bass heavy, lack detail and are completely unlistenable.

It doesn't take listening to an HD800 to know that the HD650 are bloated and bass heavy.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's true. I don't think she is really hearing anything with those. Please, someone put them on her head and then retake the image so we know she got it right.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 40
Well written feifan. I would simply say their is always times that, as it is with this hobby, I do like different presentations and this is where, to me, the Grados fill the bill...or, say..a closed headphone, etc...the hd650 would present a bit of a bass slam for those times when one would like this. History will reveal that the HD800 went where other's, up to this point, simply failed to attempt to arrive at. I was willing to pay for their efforts and I've received my rewards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's wrong?

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

I like it simple....straight from a Marantz cd5001. No tweaking no tubes, no what ifs? Plug and play...thats it.

So what your saying is, "I have never really heard either", right?

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...my impressions also and yes, if you're happy with your current headphone DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT listen to the hd800s for an extended amount of time as the effects are irreversible.

x2

The HD 800 are phenominal in this aspect! Hopefully, it's only a phase--nah--who am I kidding! Hats off to Sennheiser for their worthy contribution to the headphone community.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back