64 Audio A18 Tzar (TM) Impressions Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
May 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #121 of 286
New U18 unboxing video. More commentary as I have been listening to both the Fourte' and 18 for a while now.

May 22, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #123 of 286
What tips pair well with U18 and Forte?

Good question. The stock silicons sucks big time while the supplied foams are complys which fits well but doesn't pair well sonically to me.

One main problem is, while the single bore / stem is pretty long, the supplied silicon tips are actually shorted than that and there's no catch on the stem to keep the tips in place, meaning the tips would become more and more recessed leaving the head of the bore exposed without any tip coverage.

I've been warmed to the accoustune AET07 and 08 tips lately but even these doesn't work well with my U18 - while it is long enough to wrap the stem fully, the end of it touches the iem body and won't enter the ear canal.

My present solution is the Sony hybrid tip (the foam filled silicon ones) which fits well (as always), are long enough and does nothing wrong sonically. YMMV and I'd like to hear what others do with theirs as well.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #124 of 286
BTW, would this thread become an A18/U18 combined thread? There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread on the U18s and it makes a lot of sense to discuss both together here. If that's cool with people around would anyone with the authority to change the topic? Just wondering.

May 26, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #125 of 286
Good question. The stock silicons sucks big time while the supplied foams are complys which fits well but doesn't pair well sonically to me.

One main problem is, while the single bore / stem is pretty long, the supplied silicon tips are actually shorted than that and there's no catch on the stem to keep the tips in place, meaning the tips would become more and more recessed leaving the head of the bore exposed without any tip coverage.

I've been warmed to the accoustune AET07 and 08 tips lately but even these doesn't work well with my U18 - while it is long enough to wrap the stem fully, the end of it touches the iem body and won't enter the ear canal.

My present solution is the Sony hybrid tip (the foam filled silicon ones) which fits well (as always), are long enough and does nothing wrong sonically. YMMV and I'd like to hear what others do with theirs as well.

Which model or serial number for Sony hybrid tip that is compatible for U18 and also Fourté?

May 26, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #126 of 286
Finally, the review is up for all to read:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/64-audio-a18-tzar.22410/reviews#review-18646

Sorry it took so long, but in the mix of moving from WA to CO to AZ as well as the frustrating experience of figuring out this site change and how to even post a review, it took longer than I would have liked. But it is here now.

I also apologize if the review comes across as me being a bit of an unembarrassed 64 Audio fan boy - oops, spoiler - but at this point I would have to say that you have to give credit where credit is due. 64 Audio hit the Fourte'/A18 out of the park in performance.

May 26, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #127 of 286
BTW, would this thread become an A18/U18 combined thread? There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread on the U18s and it makes a lot of sense to discuss both together here. If that's cool with people around would anyone with the authority to change the topic? Just wondering.
Agreed.

May 26, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #128 of 286
Which model or serial number for Sony hybrid tip that is compatible for U18 and also Fourté?

Any of them should be good, stem size a pretty perfect fit. I use the "foamed silicon" ones to be precise.

May 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #129 of 286
Any of them should be good, stem size a pretty perfect fit. I use the "foamed silicon" ones to be precise.

I try to get a really deep tight insertion everytime, I personally don't like universals, I'm a custom guy. I got a good seal with the foam-rolled super tight but I didn't like what it did to the sound. I'm using some tips I had instead.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #130 of 286
I attended the CanJam, London today for the very first and really enjoyed it. I lost my JH Audio Layla last year, so I'm contemplating buying another CIEM. I planned to buy the Empire Ear Zeus-R (14 drivers) last year but couldn't get the money.

I wanted to use this opportunity listen to different earphones before I make a decision on my next ciem. I listened to the Empire Ear Zeus-R, Apollo, Athena. Noble K10, Westone W80. But it was the U/A18 Tzar that blew me away. The sound was something else which I can't describe.

I fell in love with it instantly and plan to get the custom. The were selling it £2,288 at 20% canjam discount but don't have money now to buy it. Where is the cheapest place or website I could buy one?

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #131 of 286
They really are at a new level. The custom is even a step further for me. The canjam discount is probably the best you will see new, but 64 audio often has a black friday special as well.

You also have the option of B Stock if you want a universal at a significant discount which ocasionally will have an 18 or fourte.

B Stock: https://www.64audio.com/store/b-stock

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #132 of 286
They really are at a new level. The custom is even a step further for me. The canjam discount is probably the best you will see new, but 64 audio often has a black friday special as well.

You also have the option of B Stock if you want a universal at a significant discount which occasionally will have an 18 or fourte.

B Stock: https://www.64audio.com/store/b-stock

Thanks Barra, I've to get the custom to enjoy this Tzar. I'll have to save up quickly to get one. The problem is the guy from the company "Custom IEM" said the 20% discount is only valid til Wednesday 19th July. I'll see what I can do by Wednesday.

This is the best IEM I've ever listened to. I also liked the A12 but the Tzar is in the world of it'd own.

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #133 of 286
Thanks Barra, I've to get the custom to enjoy this Tzar. I'll have to save up quickly to get one. The problem is the guy from the company "Custom IEM" said the 20% discount is only valid til Wednesday 19th July. I'll see what I can do by Wednesday.

This is the best IEM I've ever listened to. I also liked the A12 but the Tzar is in the world of it'd own.

I have the A18 and I love them so much more each time I listen... it's worth every dollar... I had to get the custom because of my ear canal shape (sharp bend) but I'm so happy I did... lol I don't have to share... :jecklinsmile:

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #134 of 286
I attended the CanJam, London today for the very first and really enjoyed it. I lost my JH Audio Layla last year, so I'm contemplating buying another CIEM. I planned to buy the Empire Ear Zeus-R (14 drivers) last year but couldn't get the money.

I wanted to use this opportunity listen to different earphones before I make a decision on my next ciem. I listened to the Empire Ear Zeus-R, Apollo, Athena. Noble K10, Westone W80. But it was the U/A18 Tzar that blew me away. The sound was something else which I can't describe.

I fell in love with it instantly and plan to get the custom. The were selling it £2,288 at 20% canjam discount but don't have money now to buy it. Where is the cheapest place or website I could buy one?
64Audio has an installment option through Affirm.
https://www.64audio.com/product/1964-A18-Custom-In-Ear-Monitor

In the product ordering link given above, Just below the "Order now" button you will see more details for affirm. Easy monthly installment option. May be that could help you order this iem now with the 20% discount. U18 was awesome and I'm sure A18 would make it more special being custom.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #135 of 286
64Audio has an installment option through Affirm.
https://www.64audio.com/product/1964-A18-Custom-In-Ear-Monitor

In the product ordering link given above, Just below the "Order now" button you will see more details for affirm. Easy monthly installment option. May be that could help you order this iem now with the 20% discount. U18 was awesome and I'm sure A18 would make it more special being custom.

First, I'm based in UK not USA. So I assume that the installment payment is only applicable to US residents.

Secondly, the guys from the "Custom IEM" said that they are the sole agent of 64 Audio in UK and the 20% discount has to be from them and not 64 Audio. I might be wrong but that's was my understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back