64 Audio A18 Tzar (TM) Impressions Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Sep 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #151 of 286
My A18 has about 200 hrs burning-in and I would like to share my personal feeling. I am a fan of Pop and Rock. My previous IEM is fitear 335SR.
I am a fan of analytical and heavy bass. Smooth and emotional vocal. When comparing these two, A18 has much lighter but clear bass. The resolution for vocal and instruments is higher. However, the total feeling for A18 is very 'DRY', which means you will feel high resistance when you keep listening for more than 10 mins.

edit:
I do not mean that A18 is not a fine IEM. I preordered it Nov 2016 with no listening experience. Generally speaking, hi-res is the pro side for A18 and I like it a lot! Just when it is compared with 335SR it feels 'dry'. 335 SR suffers from low-res bass. I have got an ALO sxc 24 cable but sadly it does not help. That is the main motivation for me to get the A18.

Driving device:
I am using ak240, hugo2. Sometimes I will use masskobe 404 amp.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #152 of 286
My A18 has about 200 hrs burning-in and I would like to share my personal feeling. I am a fan of Pop and Rock. My previous IEM is fitear 335SR.
When comparing these two, A18 has much lighter but clear bass. The resolution for vocal and instruments is higher. However, the total feeling for A18 is very 'DRY', which means you will feel high resistance when you keep listening for more than 10 mins.

Not quite sure I understand the meaning of "high resistance" ?

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #156 of 286
Sorry for your poor expression. For me, 'High resistance' means you will feel uncomfortable and stop listening because of the 'dry' feeling.

Are you describing the sound or the comfort of the shell fit inside of your ear? Cause it almost sounds like you feel uncomfortable with A18 CIEMs and take them out of your ears :) I'm trying to understand, if we are talking about dry sound or dry feeling inside of your earcanal (maybe needs ear lube or something).

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #157 of 286
Are you describing the sound or the comfort of the shell fit inside of your ear? Cause it almost sounds like you feel uncomfortable with A18 CIEMs and take them out of your ears :) I'm trying to understand, if we are talking about dry sound or dry feeling inside of your earcanal (maybe needs ear lube or something).

Thank you for your discussion. I am talking about the sound quality of A18. The fitting for my CIEM is fine.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #158 of 286
I think "dry" as in sterile and too analytical... not much emotion and just not much fun. I think my Layla ii's were exactly that.
It has to be the first I am hearing anyone describing these as dry. Wow.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #161 of 286
Did you try them before buying them or just read reviews of them?
What are you doing to do now? That is an awful lot of cash for something you don't even like...

I have edited original post about how I bought the A18. I preordered it during Thanksgiving holiday and no audition was available. All my audio products are purchased by myself for personal use.

I listened to U12 before and I thought it has nice high resolution and comfortable sound so I preordered A18 when it just released.

I am a fan of analytical and heavy bass, smooth and emotional vocal. A18 fulfill my requirement of hi-res but for other aspects...

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #162 of 286
I am a fan of analytical and heavy bass. Smooth and emotional vocal. When comparing these two, A18 has much lighter but clear bass. The resolution for vocal and instruments is higher. However, the total feeling for A18 is very 'DRY', which means you will feel high resistance when you keep listening for more than 10 mins.

edit:
I do not mean that A18 is not a fine IEM. I preordered it Nov 2016 with no listening experience. Generally speaking, hi-res is the pro side for A18 and I like it a lot! Just when it is compared with 335SR it feels 'dry'.

My main iem rig is exactly like yours, except I have the U18 instead of the A18. My other half of listening time is also shared with a 335SR.

I understand what you are trying to say, but due to preference I can listen to the "dry" U18 for hours non-stop. I just love how the sound is presented just as how it is recorded. But of cos I can also do that with my 335SR as well. My main source is the WM1A and WM1Z.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #165 of 286
My main iem rig is exactly like yours, except I have the U18 instead of the A18. My other half of listening time is also shared with a 335SR.

I understand what you are trying to say, but due to preference I can listen to the "dry" U18 for hours non-stop. I just love how the sound is presented just as how it is recorded. But of cos I can also do that with my 335SR as well. My main source is the WM1A and WM1Z.

Thank you for your kind reply! 335 SR suffers from low-res bass. I have got an ALO sxc 24 cable but sadly it does not help. That is the main motivation for me to get the A18. So am also using A18 and 335SR together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back