64 Audio A12t/U12t Impressions
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #181 of 273
You can push the pins very carefully and very slightly outward from each other. That'll firm up the connection nicely.

I am aware of that little trick, have done it a few times already.
Honestly I have preferred to have the CIEM made with recessed or semi-recessed sockets, but apparently my distributor claimed that there wasn't enough space inside the shell to have that done

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #182 of 273
I am aware of that little trick, have done it a few times already.
Honestly I have preferred to have the CIEM made with recessed or semi-recessed sockets, but apparently my distributor claimed that there wasn't enough space inside the shell to have that done
You can actually have recessed pins in the A12t. I've seen it done, so your distributor is misinformed.

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #183 of 273
Might this be a case that the universal (U12t) is slightly loose, while the custom (A12t) version is a tighter fit for the pins?

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #184 of 273
You sure you didnt order .75mm connections instead? All the aftermarket ones I tried so far (4) were a lot stiffer than the stock one, which is also stiff enoufh

Definitely was a 0.78mm cable, at least that's what Massdrop claims.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #185 of 273
I do wish the 2-pin sockets were recessed but that's a whole different discussion.

Now I realized why my A12 custom doesn't have the '2-pin loose fit' issue (while all my universals have the issue): I ordered my A12 with 'recessed' 2 pin socket option.
The wall of recessed socket is helping to hold the 2-pin plug.

And with CIEM, the material of the socket is different from the Universal. My CIEM's socket is with transparent material, while universal is black plastic material.

20191030_131449~2.jpg

Nov 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #186 of 273
Now I realized why my A12 custom doesn't have the '2-pin loose fit' issue (while all my universals have the issue): I ordered my A12 with 'recessed' 2 pin socket option.
The wall of recessed socket is helping to hold the 2-pin plug.

And with CIEM, the material of the socket is different from the Universal. My CIEM's socket is with transparent material, while universal is black plastic material.

20191030_131449~2.jpg

Mine are flush, no recess: wish mine had the recess.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #187 of 273
When I had ordered through the local dealer last year, there was no option or check box for recessed connectors. When I brought up the topic during the order process, the sales said that "64 Audio would make the decision based off your ear impressions and space available" dissuading me from inquiring further.

About a month ago I had asked the distributor (a distributor had changed since the time I had ordered) about having the custom remolded to accommodate recessed connectors they then said that if the manufacturer had made your CIEM with flush connectors then there is most likely that there is no space inside the shell or that your ear-shape is not fit for the recessed design.

*Judging from this picture what do you guys think?
A12t_PAW6000 - 05.jpg

*Edited for tonality of rant

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #188 of 273
When I had ordered through the local dealer last year, there was no option or check box for recessed connectors. When I brought up the topic during the order process, the sales said that "64 Audio would make the decision based off your ear impressions and space available" dissuading me from inquiring further.

About a month ago I had asked the distributor (a distributor had changed since the time I had ordered) about having the custom remolded to accommodate recessed connectors they then said that if the manufacturer had made your CIEM with flush connectors then there is most likely that there is no space inside the shell or that your ear-shape is not fit for the recessed design.

*Judging from this picture what do you guys think?A12t_PAW6000 - 05.jpg

*Edited for tonality of rant

I don't know but I LOVE the minimalism of your design and how you can see all the internals through the clear backplate!

FWIW, my A12t has a recessed socket that was originally (too) tight such that I had a mini heart attack every time I wanted to change the cables. With use though, they became much easier to disconnect, but not to the point of being overly loose (with some HSA and Brise cables).

Nov 15, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #189 of 273
I don't know but I LOVE the minimalism of your design and how you can see all the internals through the clear backplate!

FWIW, my A12t has a recessed socket that was originally (too) tight such that I had a mini heart attack every time I wanted to change the cables. With use though, they became much easier to disconnect, but not to the point of being overly loose (with some HSA and Brise cables).

Thanks for the compliment, at the time it seemed like a good idea for that design, as it wasn't very common. However if I ever decide to re-shell I will at least change one of the logos to a custom graphic of sorts.

When my A12t was fresh out of the box the 2pin connectors were super tight, I could imagine with the recessed 2 pinit would feel relatively scary to pull out.
Even now with when I try other aftermarket cables the connection is very tight and feels secure, it is just with the cable that I am using now that it is comparatively loose.

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #190 of 273
I’ve got a second hand pair - they are great (u12t). Any cable or tip recommendations that aren’t an arm and a leg?

Also, do people find that an amp has benefits? I have a nice older IEM amp (the Tomahawk from Emmeline) but from what I understand most sources can drive these quite well.

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #191 of 273
I’ve got a second hand pair - they are great (u12t). Any cable or tip recommendations that aren’t an arm and a leg?

Also, do people find that an amp has benefits? I have a nice older IEM amp (the Tomahawk from Emmeline) but from what I understand most sources can drive these quite well.
Not an amp, but a decent DAC makes a very big difference if your previous source was a phone (excl the LG V20/30/40).

If you dont wanna break the bank you can get amazing value with an E1DA 9038D (or 9038S if you wanna use a balanced cable)

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #192 of 273
Not an amp, but a decent DAC makes a very big difference if your previous source was a phone (excl the LG V20/30/40).

If you dont wanna break the bank you can get amazing value with an E1DA 9038D (or 9038S if you wanna use a balanced cable)
I'd also recommend looking at the Earman Sparrow which also has a 2.5mm balanced.

Really makes a difference with my one plus 8 Pro and even convinced me to sell my SE 200

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #193 of 273

The EA Eros II pair really well with the u12t and won't break the bank. You can pick them up here second hand from anywhere between $120-160..

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #194 of 273
Thanks for the recommendations. I have the LG7 as my player and use Tidal and I think it sounds really good, and apparently it has a good DAC like the LG v20/30/40 so I’m good there.

I’ll look into that cable, thank you.

I played around with a couple small portable amps last night (both from Emmeline) and thought one was making a tiny difference, but not enough to carry around, and the second made no difference. I think my phone/player has sufficient power so probably just my imagination, I’ll try again another time.

I also played around with some different tips I had kicking around from various headphones I bought in the past. I had no idea what brand or anything most are but I have a ton of them. I tried 7 or 8 different ones as I just couldn’t get a full seal and the bass was lacking as a result ... and to my surprise a pair from my beatsx were the only ones that made a full seal for me. I may keep playing around as well just to find the sweet spot, but boy, are these headphones awesome.

I bought them to upgrade from my UE18 pros, and what a difference and improvement these are. Technology has really changed.

I also bought a Valkyrie and figured I’d only keep one of the two, but I really like both and can’t decide! I can’t stop listening to music now - I’ve had the u12ts for a couple weeks now and my favorite time of day is when the kids have gone to bed and I can sit back and relax and listen to music.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #195 of 273
LG G7, v20/30/40

I have LG v20 and used it as my sole player for few years. Until I tried Meizu HiFi usb cable ($23 on Amazon B08H89VZKQ), I realized what I was missing:
LG phones seriously lacking amp power, even for IEMs like 64 Audio U12. There is no dedicated amplification chip, amp is built-in to the 9028 / 9038 DAC.
While Meizu HiFi cable has 2 chips, one for DAC, one for amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back