-
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 46
While I preorder M-100 and waiting as everybody else so I can compare them to D600 hoping that M-100 isolate better but I also interested in Sony MDR-1R/NC (maybe Sony will be able to make cans with SQ and NC at the same time?)

That's my hope as well while I am also getting the M-100. I've always wanted a great-sounding NC can.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 46
my bet is on the seinheisser.....all their cans have not been way off the mark over time.
And i expect this Momentum to hit the sweetsweetspot between the hd25...and the hd700..
closed can..portable...circumaural...leather..clean simple design..n an attractive price point..
i dun mind the price falling nontheless...lol

Now to HEAR it for myself.

popcorn.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 46
It's going to take something special to make me change away from the HD25's. Every few months I have a look into what's available or talked about and go "meh." Out of that list I'm curious about the Momentums, don't know a thing about the Sony's but I'll keep an ear out.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #22 of 46
This may stir some comments from Sony fans, but here goes.  While I have never heard a really bad Sony headphone, I also have yet to hear a Sony headphone that stands out from the crowd or moves me in some way.  It feels like in trying to please everyone, they satisfy few.  For this reason, I am not so excited about the new Sony MDR-1 line, nor will I hold off purchasing one or even two of the others on the list based on waiting for the Sony to come out.  Of course, they may or may not be amazing and I will at least want to audition them out of curiosity when they come out.

I think the #1 and #2 vote getters are not surprising since they are not out yet and the anticipation always seems to be higher than the reality.  Just ask the D400.

I would like to rank which I presently want the most based on information at hand, so this is NOT a review or impression, just the headphones I would most want to have in my hands RIGHT NOW in order.

M-100
Momentum
M4U1  (like the M4U2, don't need the amping)
D600   (owned and am thinking about repurchasing)
MDR-1
XB900

If none of these work for me, I have preapproval from the Mrs. to splurge for Ultrasone Signature DJs.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 46
If none of these work for me, I have preapproval from the Mrs. to splurge for Ultrasone Signature DJs.

Is that like a credit check? LOL!

As far as Sony goes, I haven't heard anything except the cheapo stuff you can get at a wal-mart and a pretty nice pair of older loudspeakers. Apparently, however, their rare flagship headphones are impressive stuff, so they know the engineering and sound of good headphones. Not something you might expect from an electronics megacorp who dips their hands in so many markets, but there you go. They've got some talented engineers and crazy (& perhaps a little ADHD) project visionaries.

Someone else mentioned the new Audio Technicas. The much more conventional headband and pivot points ought to expand the range of heads who get to enjoy the famous AT comfort. I wonder how they sound...

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #25 of 46
Semi-closed with 3 very small vents that helps with soundstage. I would still classify them as closed though since they isolate pretty well and do not leak sound. It's more of just wind noise you'd have to watch out for. I have the M-80s and still enjoy them even on buses and trains.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:
Semi-closed with 3 very small vents that helps with soundstage. I would still classify them as closed though since they isolate pretty well and do not leak sound. It's more of just wind noise you'd have to watch out for. I have the M-80s and still enjoy them even on buses and trains.

+1 to classify as closed vs. open if those are the only choices

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:
I don't know if we can really vote for these yet as a few of them aren't actually on the street. 

I agree that they can't be evaluated at this point, I think this is just some fun speculation regarding which newly released or soon-to-be released portable headphones have the greatest anticipation and expectation.  This is a refreshing break from some of the heavy duty heated debates on some other threads recently.

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #30 of 46
Hot off the press news regarding Momentum from Sennheiser:  They have a NEW driver, NOT the HD25/Amperior driver.  Momentum just went up a few notches in my book and may even give the M-100 a run for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back