60 mm "quiet" fan Oxymoron?
Aug 17, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #17 of 45
OK. No adapter for you.

This place seems to have a decent range of 60mm fans.

Pabst fans have been highly recommended for years, but I found that they had this medium high picthed whine that I couldn't tolerate. Perhaps inside a receiver they would be quiet enough.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #18 of 45
You can get a decent quiet ADDA fan from here: Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor

The best silent fans are made by NeXus, Papst, and NoiseBlocker. 60mm is a challenge but I don't think the ADDA fan @ 7V will disappoint. Most well designed fans have a dust prof construction, which really only means that the bearing and electronics are sealed.

To Fordgtlover, I have owned a lot of fans from Papst which ones did you have that whined? I have had a lot of 120mm and 80mm fans from them and some 60mm.

Aug 17, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

To Fordgtlover, I have owned a lot of fans from Papst which ones did you have that whined? I have had a lot of 120mm and 80mm fans from them and some 60mm.

I can't recall which particular model; it was quite a few years back now (mid to late '90s). The whine was very low level, but I found that it became quite distracting late at night in a quiet environment. I had the same issue with most of the popular 'quiet' fans at the time that came with sleeve bearings. In the end I just used standard ball bearing fans at 7V. It worked out pretty well at the time.

More recently, I have used the Nexus real silent case fans. I found them to be very good. They were quiet with no bearing noise at all; just a [very] slight whoosh of air.
regular_smile .gif

PC fans have improved greatly over the last 10 years.

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 45
one thing to note, since this isn't a computer

it may have a tach or similar device, which inhibits operation if it isn't the fan its expecting, or at least very similar (i've seen this on TVs with similar cooling setups), so you might want to consider looking into if thats going to be a problem

another thing is, it may or may not have the same connector as the standard ATX 3-pin fan connectors (but thats an easy fix)

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one thing to note, since this isn't a computer

it may have a tach or similar device, which inhibits operation if it isn't the fan its expecting, or at least very similar (i've seen this on TVs with similar cooling setups), so you might want to consider looking into if thats going to be a problem

another thing is, it may or may not have the same connector as the standard ATX 3-pin fan connectors (but thats an easy fix)

Just an update on this 60mm fan saga. I ordered the reportedly good ADDA fan, AD0612MX-A70GL-LF, which has good spec of 18 CFM airflow at 3500 rpm and 24 dBA. Well, this thing is even LOUDER than the stock Superred fan.

The JVC has a 2-pin connector but it has a temperature sensor, so the fan kicks in after a certain temperature is reached.

The problem is not so much the fan itself being noisy b/c when I hook them up in my hand to a 12V battery, it's not so bad. The problem seems to be the ridiculous metal air tunnel and the flimsy chassis inside the JVC, which makes a horrible noise when air is pushed through quickly.

I don't think other "quiet" 60mm fans such as SilenX will solve this issue, so I may try just running the JVC fanless. I may be able to get away with this if I leave the top cover off and disconnect 5 amplifier channels out of 7 since I only need 2 channels. We'll see..

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #24 of 45
Open up the tunnel, and see what parts really need all that cooling. This is typical low end stuff, perhaps the fan was 10c cheaper than fitting a decent heatsink. With a decent heatsink in that tunnel, the parts may not need any active cooling.
Also, you can simply put a resistor on one of the fan's wires. This lowers the rpm, and thus reduces noise.

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #26 of 45
A 60mm fan uses less than 1W. How much heat do you think the resistor can generate if it uses a part of this energy? And another thought: some cooling is better than no cooling at all.

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 45
a 60mm fan may use less than 1W, but some of them use considerably more

and the resistor can still heat up quite a bit

"some cooling is better than no cooling at all", anything less than ~9-10 CFM is basically wasted effort, because thats such minimal air motion that natural convection and radiation will do the same job without using the extra energy

May 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #28 of 45
I pulled the case off of my JVC and am looking at virtually the same setup on my RX-D302. I'm thinking I might be able to insulate somehow buffer the fan so that it doesn't make contact with the metal and also dampen between the bracket and the bottom of the cabinet. I found that when I was holding the fan, it was not really making noise.

May 4, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #29 of 45
What is it that the fan actually cools? What is under that big metal thing that it is blowing into? You could always put an 80mm in at an angle and just make your own bracket. Hell get some duct tape and cardboard and there you go! If you could remove that metal thing and let us see what is under and or get some pics from every side it would make it easier to recommend what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back