60 mm "quiet" fan Oxymoron?
Aug 16, 2008 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
I'm having a tough time finding some quiet 60 mm fan, 15 or 25 mm depth. There's precious little info even at silentpcreview regarding 60 mm fans. I'm trying to replace a noisy "Superred" 60mm x15 mm fan.

Anyone have any real-world experience? SilentX, ADDA, Panaflo, Papst, etc without breaking the bank?

----------------------
EDITED WITH MORE INFO

It's actually the internal fan for JVC D301 USB digital receiver, the black one in the middle of the component. Currently, there's a 15 mm depth fan but there is more room depth-wise. I can't really go larger (80 mm adapter) b/c it's mounted on a metal bracket that's bolted to chassis bottom. I can't find any specs on this "Superred" fan on the fan or on the web. It's 60x15mm, and it gets quite loud, so I'm guessing 12-16 CFM isn't going to cut it.
Model: Superred CHB6012AS(E) DC12V 0.06A.

img6326ps7.jpg

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 45
What kind of component are you trying to cool? If you want dead silence watercooling is the way to go; unfortunately that's a much more costly option.

Since you already have a fan in installed you may want to consider a fan bus instead; this will allow you to attenuate the speed (and hence the noise) of your fan. As an added benefit most fan bus's will allow you to rig up multiple fans (could come in handy if you have multiple fans to tame, or need more cooling power later).

Panaflo and Papst fans are very well regarded fan mfgs. So are vantec, thermaltake and sunbeam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a tough time finding some quiet 60 mm fan, 15 or 20 mm depth. There's precious little info even at silentpcreview regarding 60 mm fans. I'm trying to replace a noisy "Superred" 60mm x15 mm fan.

Anyone have any real-world experience? SilentX, ADDA, Panaflo, Papst, etc without breaking the bank?

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 45
For dead silence you probably want completely passive cooling with an SSD drive. I have been running a Hush system as my main media system for a couple of years now.

So far this has been a good choice.

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 45
In general, 60mm fans are getting too small to build up enough pressure. They have to run faster to compensate. Plus, you need to know the required airflow for the components you're trying to cool
to say anything about product choice that makes sense.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 45
I don't know how much room you have, but going back to my 60mm fan days, I was unable to find decent one. I ended up using a 60mm to 80mm adapter and using a speed controlled quiet 80mm fan. I controlled the speed with either a 7V power cable, or a rheostat controller.

I'm sure you are already aware that an 80mm fan, at lower revolutions, can push as much air as a higher revving 60mm fan. Lower revolutions = quieter fan
smily_headphones1.gif

After trying all of the traditional quiet 80mm fans, I [finally] found one that I was pretty happy with - the Nexus Real Silent case fan.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 45
Aug 16, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 45
the issue with 60mm fans isn't the noise of the bearing, its the noise of the air moving through the small body, that quiet fan suggested is quiet because its only pushing about 10 CFM (which is barely an improvement from just letting the heatsink sit raw, because we're not talking about any real airflow, and increased noise)

watercooling doesn't gurantee "dead silence", because you still have pumps, and fans for the radiators (unless you spend a stupid amount of money on a huge loop that will no doubt be a pain to install, or an external solution like Zalman's reserator)

going to an SSD just for silence is silly, you can get vibration dampers for your mechanical HD for around $10-$15 online (check Newegg or Xoxide), which will bring its noise level down below a bother (given that you can barely hear modern mechanical HDs anyways, at least decent ones)

now, as far as absolute silence, you can go passive air cooling, with solutions from a company like Thermalright, although you'll end up spending about $150-$200 on it (about the price of a bare-bottom of the bucket cheapseats watercooling hackjob, or half decent pre-fab watercooling kit), or you can spend about $2000 on a Zalman case called the TNN-500AF, which is going to accomplish roughly the same thing

"lower revolutions = quieter fan"

no

larger size + lower revolutions = same airflow as smaller fan + higher revolutions

for example a 120mm fan at 800 RPM will be similar to a 92mm fan at ~2000RPM, the 120 won't whine due to the motor running faster, but the airflow will make the same noise (because its roughly the same amount of air moving)

check out SPCR (SilentPC Review) for more information on quieting down your PC, silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers, mostly because they've written the book on which components are quiet, and which ones aren't

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 45
It's actually the internal fan for JVC D301 USB digital receiver, the black one in the middle of the component. Currently, there's a 15 mm depth fan but there is more room depth-wise. I can't really go larger (80 mm adapter) b/c it's mounted on a metal bracket that's bolted to chassis bottom. I can't find any specs on this "Superred" fan on the fan or on the web. It's 60x15mm, and it gets quite loud, so I'm guessing 12-16 CFM isn't going to cut it.
Model: Superred CHB6012AS(E) DC12V 0.06A.

img6326ps7.jpg

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 45
I do not think you can fit an 80mm there, cause it will hit the roof of the amp, the top cover in other words...other option is to move the transformer to the front a little bit and clear the airway a little, and get a better quieter fan that for sure you can find one out there....Alos how is the other side, if it is covered you will have a turbulence, so opening the opposite end to let the air flow will make it quieter also....

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 45
silencing a receiver? now i've seen everything, lol

an 80mm would be ideal, but make sure there is enough headspace for it, if not, you will have to gamble on some of those 60mm fans seen online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back