Three views:

img0893.jpg

img0896t.jpg

img0894w.jpg

There are 7 of them.

Proposed solution:
img0897h.jpg

May 4, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #34 of 45
I have no idea what those 7 things are and why they need to be cooled... I'm listening to scarlet begonias sitting next to my receiver, cover back on fan insulated with electrical tape and the noise is much more acceptable. when muted, it's still a little annoying, but i don't usually sit next to it. If it bothers me at some point, I'm going to find some sort of insulation to put b/w the bracket and the bottom of the housing. I'm thinking the foam that you put b/w the face plate and the box of an out door electrical box.

any other ideas are more than welcome!

May 4, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #35 of 45
Ok now it appears that there is actually something under there that needs cooling, but why is the metal thing there? All I can guess is that it must be some sort of shielding but I do not know why you would want or need something that thick not to mention that the way the rest of the unit is built I doubt that it actually has a very large effect if any on sq. If possible I would recommend removing it and replacing it with mesh so that the heat can rise out of that wind tunnel and you can still get some shielding. After this I would recommend a large quiet fan above this location to remove the heat better.

If that big metal thing is not doing anything and does not come out I would highly recommend to cut it out!

May 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #36 of 45
Lets call it a metal bracket. I cannot take it off easily because it supports several other boards and would really require me to disassemble more then I really feel comfortable or capable of doing...or at least comfortable reassembling. I am not really an enthusiast of this sort of thing, I just happened on this because I used the relevant google search term to find this site. That is not to say I don't appreciate the help because I do!

As for why it is there: I don't think shielding is really the goal. I think it is either meant as a support for the other boards as mentioned above or, more likely, meant to funnel air from the side vents of the cover over the--well you didn't tell me what they are--and out the vents on the other side of the unit. As I said, I reassembled it and the noise is acceptable. I do not know if there is room for a fan above the bracket, but even if there was, where would the air go? I would then need to somehow vent the top of the case. It is possible that I could drill holes in the bracket, but then I would have metal shavings all over the place...and while I have a rather powerful cow magnet, I don't think I really want it anywhere near the inside of that box.

If and when I take off the cover again, I'll take some more pictures so that you have a better idea what I'm talking about. Are you monitoring this discussion? If not, can you please PM me your email?

thanks

May 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #37 of 45
If you truly want it quiet you will either remove that brace and replace it with strong wire mesh or cut as much off the top as possible.

If you think about it the only reason the fan is even needed is because that brace is trapping the heat that wants to rise. If the heat was able to escape naturally you could eliminate the fan. Logically, it must have been cheaper for them to throw in a fan rather than have a better bracket with holes made.

On a side note, I once was trying to upgrade the cooling on my 280GT to have water cooling. Unfortunately the screws that I needed to remove were completely striped preventing me from taking the stock heatsink off. My solution was to cut it off using a dremal and a hacksaw! Now operating a 30,000 rpm cutting disk with sparks flying within 5mm of a $500gpu may sound a bit extreme but it worked and I OCed that thing very well afterword!*As you can see a lot of what I know about this sort of stuff comes from my experience in computer modding I also consider myself quiet new to the Hi-Fi stuff and I definitely do not know how to build amps and the sort of stuff a lot of the people here do.

May 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #38 of 45
Ok...
First: what are the 7 things under the bracket that are apparently creating so much heat?
Second: OCed=?
Third: If I were to cut it, would I have to make sure it was absolutely clean of shavings?

Finally, I suppose a dremel would work to cut large sections of it away, but it still leaves the problem of the heat having no where to escape again because there are no vents in the top of the cabinet. Is it really preferable to have the heat just build up elsewhere?

May 5, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swiftech RheoStat Fan Speed Adjuster Products Model: RH070 [RH070] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Drill a hold somewhere in the case and mount this. They can put smaller connectors on it too if you like.

Adjusting the speed of the fan would help to attenuate the noise of the fan itself. The problem is the vibrations produced by the fan. When the fan is isolated from the case, the noise isn't a problem. It is possible that reducing the RPMs might be effective in reducing the objectionable noise... Unfortunately depending on how much reduction in speed was required the fan might not function effectively.

I really think that the best way to handle this is to find some way to dampen and isolate the vibrations of the fan from the case. I just need to figure out how best to do it. If it was possible to neatly cut vents in the top of the case, I think that would help, but I have no idea how I would go about that.

May 5, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by iconoclast hero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adjusting the speed of the fan would help to attenuate the noise of the fan itself. The problem is the vibrations produced by the fan. When the fan is isolated from the case, the noise isn't a problem. It is possible that reducing the RPMs might be effective in reducing the objectionable noise... Unfortunately depending on how much reduction in speed was required the fan might not function effectively.

I really think that the best way to handle this is to find some way to dampen and isolate the vibrations of the fan from the case. I just need to figure out how best to do it. If it was possible to neatly cut vents in the top of the case, I think that would help, but I have no idea how I would go about that.

Fan Screws - Rubber : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Rubber fan mounts will help also but nothing short of slowing the fan down will make a tiny fan like that quiet. One thing I learned is never use a fan grill. and if there are slots in the casework that form a built-in fan grill then cut it out. All you want is the fan, a hole, rubber mounts, and perhaps a rheostat.

May 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #43 of 45
Why have him adjust it himself would not using a temp based device be more reliable.

May 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why have him adjust it himself would not using a temp based device be more reliable.

Its based on temp or noise, I thought noise was the issue.

May 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #45 of 45
Yes but the reason he needs it is to ensure that the temps do not get too high, if you are just going to turn it down based on how you feel it is working then you are almost as well of not having it at all. The point of the fan is to cool the device below a given temp to prevent damage. If you lower it without regard to how hot it is then it undermines the point of even having the fan. At least with an automated system or with a temp sensor it is possible to make it quiet but not at the cost of the amp itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back