60 hour toothache nightmare!
May 11, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 62
I always respond to your teeth posts cause im in the same boat and deal with tooth pain and dentists quite often. Sorry you had to deal with it yet again. One tip i can give you is if you know you have bad teeth stay away from nuts and sweets. one or the other has almost always started my agony.

May 11, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

you had to deal with it yet again. One tip i can give you is if you know you have bad teeth stay away from nuts and sweets.

The sweets are easy but how does a person stay away from nuts and still log into Head-Fi ?
cool.gif

May 11, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #20 of 62
On the basis that if we make Pinkie laugh hard enough he'll spit out the remainders of the tooth then:

[size=x-small]Fangs for that we are indentured to you for filling our day with such a biting incident or should I say accident[/size]
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 62
For what it's worth, I've had three tooth extractions and all went smoothly. The worst part is when the novacaine wears off. That hurts like heck.

May 11, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I have been burned,stabbed twice,thrown through a plate glass window once and tore up my back from the edges of the glass while going through,gotten so tore up in a fight my mother did not know who I was ,caught my arm on fire once,fell off a roof 12 feet and hit a deck,broke almost every bone in my body and some twice and still would take them all over a really nasty abcess or migraine headache and i am serious,no joke.

Rick,

I have also been burned, ripped my kneecaps out in a motorbike accident, shredded my toes to the bone, broken a leg, broken an arm and a whole host of other injuries and I totally agree with you..... Nothing is more painful than a full blown toothache (like a dentist drilling into exposed nerve for hours) it's even worst when it's the type of toothache that pain killers, clove oil and alcohol won't touch.

I can normally "do" toothache" and get rid of it temporarily with the aid of painkillers but that bout of toothache was of the untouchable variety...... the explanation being that the painkillers could not reach the tooth due to an abcess.... hence the ice cold water direct on the tooth was the only way to get temporary (30 second) relief.... man I don't want to go through a session like that ever again!

The socket has been as sore as **** today and the side of my face is up like a balloon thanks to that twerp digging a hole in the side of my face with an assortment of torture implements...... it's nowhere near as bad as the 60 hour episode and it responds to heavy doses of co-codamol (500mg paracetamol / 30mg codiene) along with a 400mg dose of Ibuprofen....... I never have to take painkillers after an extraction but it looks like I'll be knocking them back for a few days due to the mess this guy has made of removing the tooth.

Usually the blood clots over the gums and the socket appears red after an extraction but this one is pure white!!!
eek.gif
I phoned the dentist up and he said this is perfectly normal (doesn't look bloody normal to me!) Further investigation on the net suggests it may be a "dry socket" and, if so, they are not pleasant at all and can give all kinds of problems....... I'll give it a couple of days and if the swelling and pain hasn't gone down I'll be on his doorstep at dawn.

I know the guy has left part of the root intact as he couldn't get a grip on it with his pliers, even after he sliced my gums open, so maybe that's causing some of the pain........ I dunno but the state of the UK dental service "is" a state..... absolutely abysmal and the bastards charge you for the privilege! They butcher your mouth and then send you a bill..... I was talking to some silly young girl over the phone who was telling me how I should be looking after the socket / aftercare, as if I'm not aware after having spent what seems like a quarter of my life at the dentists! I said "listen, this guy (the dentist) has made a total balls up of this extraction I don't need to be told how to rinse my mouth out with salt water, if you've got any good information like where I can find a decent dentist I'd appreciate it but if not lay off with all the salt water crap!"

Honestly, she was speaking to me as though it was my fault that my face was swollen and it was my fault that the dentist couldn't remove the entire tooth and it was my fault that I was in pain...... jesus that really annoys me!! I say there's a white film over the socket...... "perfectly normal sir" If I'd told her there were maggots crawling about in it she'd probably have said "perfectly normal, don't worry"

Obviously none of these dentists or their assistants have suffered real dental pain, if they had they'd be a bit more knowledgable re: the symptoms and aftercare...... I honestly believe they think that once the patient leaves the torture chair they are fine....... job well done. Well, one of these days I'll take a mad turn and drive down there and smash all of their teeth with a cricket bat.... that may give them an idea of what it feels like
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not a wimp, far from it, and I very seldom complain about pain but teeth are a very sore point with me and british dentistry is a very sore point with the British public ATM....... people are resorting to pulling their own teeth it's that bad (seriously) If you're lucky enough to get registered with a dentist that's one thing but getting registered with a good dentist is nigh on impossible.

Some guy earlier in this thread asked me why I didn't pull the tooth out myself with a pair of pliers..... I would have done but I couldn't get the tooth numb that's why....... if it had responded to the pain killers and a bottle of scotch I'd have mole gripped the person and yanked it out for sure.......

I pulled one of my upper incisors about 8 years ago... thankfully it was relatively loose and responded to a cocktail of whisky, temazepam and an anaesthetic spray you can get in the UK called AAA (throat spray) I basically (IIRC!!) clamped a mole grip onto the tooth and then inserted the mole grip into a bench vice (with my head and tooth attached) Once I had tightened the bench vice onto the mole grip I slowly brought my head upwards (in a side to side rocking motion much like tube rolling) and eventually my head came free of the mole grips / vice and there was the little incisor sitting clamped in the mole grips (roots and all) I was chuffed to bits!! It took about 20 minutes of gentle upward rolling before the tooth dislodged from the socket but the relief and sense of achievement was tremendous and, you know what, that socket healed up in a couple of days.

Anyways, I digress, I don't post "I'm in pain" unless I really am in pain and then I'm only posting to try to take my mind off the pain...... not to get a sympathy vote....... I thank all you guys for your kind posts but I'm not looking for sympathy I'm looking for a good dentist and only posted this to to take my mind off the extraordinary pain I was experiencing at the time....... heh, I was fitting a new clutch to my car in March and a pair of long nose pliers slipped whilst I was bearing down on the release spring and they went clean through my arm....... pulled them out, wrapped a towel around my arm and got on with the job...... not even worth a sentence on Head-Fi as that kind of pain is pillable and bandageable but teeth are worth a "sticky" on Head-Fi IMO they can be torture devices implanted in your head and can really wear you down to the point of no return.

Thanks for all your kind words and advice and remember to brush your teeth before going to bed.

Mike.

EDIT: Just in case there are any teeth / Gum experts in the house...... I took this picture this morning (with a great deal of difficulty!) the white stuff you can see at the edge of the socket has now spread over two thirds of the socket (within 11 hours) any idea what it is? The socket sure is getting more painful with the spread of this white coating:

tooth.jpg

I thought at first it may be an ulcer but surely an ulcer can't form 22 hours after an extraction?

May 11, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 62
Two points Mike.

an abcess is an infection and is not going away without the aid of antibiotics .Pain killers will not attack this type of pain becuase they can not penetrate the infection and even extraction is out untiul the infection is treated.

Second point-alcohol as a painkiller may work for some things but realise that most licquer is sugar based and the worst thing usually for a bad tooth.

"Jail House Hootch" is no more than sugar,and lots of it,combined with fruit plus a couple of other ingredients (dan't want tpo teach a moonshing course here
icon10.gif
) placed in a cool dark area while it ferments.
think ALL sugar because in reality that is what most sweet fruit is at heart.
that is why most old drunks are toothless man
cool.gif

May 11, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

"Jail House Hootch" is no more than sugar,and lots of it,combined with fruit plus a couple of other ingredients

The good old pumpkin filled with brown sugar and a tablespoon of rum wrapped in a net for a while
wink.gif

Nice brew man.

Mike.

May 11, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

Two points Mike.

an abcess is an infection and is not going away without the aid of antibiotics .Pain killers will not attack this type of pain becuase they can not penetrate the infection and even extraction is out untiul the infection is treated.

Hell. I know that........ hence the pain mate...... if you ever suffer the same thing (touchwood you never will) apply ice cold water to the tooth direct for very temporary relief. Forget painkillers they won't break through the pus and reach the tooth but ice cold applied direct kills the pain for a short period (seconds)

Mike.

May 11, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #27 of 62
Man you've got some serious dental issues!
If I were you, I'd go see an oral surgeon to get the rest of the tooth removed and the socket debrided/curetted... then get the usual antibiotics.

May 11, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
If I were you, I'd go see an oral surgeon to get the rest of the tooth removed and the socket debrided/curetted....

Do they have such a person in the UK? I've got 26 teeth remaining and, to be honest, I'd rather have them all pulled out man......... 26 teeth means 26 x potential agony........ I'd rather be gassed and have them all whipped out and go down the false teeth route.

As for antibiotics I'm knocking back some cefalexin 500mg...... I've got a cupboard full of antibiotics (that's one good thing about the uk..... free medicine) if the cefalexin don't tackle the white film I'll roll in some Metranidazole.

Mike.

May 11, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Man you've got some serious dental issues!
If I were you, I'd go see an oral surgeon to get the rest of the tooth removed and the socket debrided/curetted... then get the usual antibiotics.

I agree. I'm not a dentist, but most reputable dentists now try to make sure that when a tooth is removed, they get all the bits out. Otherwise you risk what's called a "cavitation"... an hole forming under the gum around the tooth bit that's still there, or an actual hole in the bone that doesn't heal. The problem is that these holes are not exposed to air, so anerobic bacteria can start living there and causing all sorts of problems, including persistent infections in other areas of the mouth and gum, and even heart damage.

Of course, if the British dental system is in as bad shape as you say, it may be difficult to get a referral to see a proper oral surgeon, or the waiting list may be months or years long. If any of this is true, you might try getting a second opinion from another regular dentist.

May 11, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Hell. I know that........ hence the pain mate...... if you ever suffer the same thing (touchwood you never will) apply ice cold water to the tooth direct for very temporary relief. Forget painkillers they won't break through the pus and reach the tooth but ice cold applied direct kills the pain for a short period (seconds)

I have been there Mike that is why I know the pain and what does not work.

A bunch of years ago I was walking out of a night club and realised the buddy I was with was being pummeled by five guys right there on the sidewalk and when I went to jump in four more pounced on me.He weasled his way out and ran to call my wife ("better get down there they are killing your husband") the rest were free to pay proper attention to kicking my a*s and they did it very well and thoroughly.

(if i had known then that the idiot cast a racial slur i would have left him to his well deserved beating)

this resulted in my nose being knocked to the other side of my face (the previously mentioned cosmetic surgery) and all my teeth being slightly cracked at the gum line from brass knuckle shots.Not a visible thing but there.

When I managed to stagger away in a daze and my wife found me she busrst into tears which enraged me because even though i hurt i could not see "me" so the extent of the damage was something I had no clue about.I grabbed two tire irons out of the back of the jeep and went back for some street justice and that also was not pretty.

Anyway.After visiting the plastic surgeon it was off to the oral surgeon for x-rays and the "what to do with rick' evaluation and it was his opinion that even though damaged there is nothing like your own teeth so let it be until each/all become a problem or pull them all and go for a plate.

I chose option A
icon10.gif

but option A also meant a periodic misery when no matter how well i tried to protect what was left and no matter how good my dental hygene a tooth would go nuclear and then it was misery until corected.since I am one to always go to see either a doctor or dentist only when I am at the crying/crawling stage it was always as you describe-too damn late for the quick fix so deal with the pain

Yes Mike.I know exactly what you are talking about
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back