5th Gen. Ipod (finally)
Oct 12, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #154 of 260
Is the U2 version finally dead? If so, I guess it is finally a "limited" edition. Is it smaller than the 4g? It appears that the screen would make it wider, and im not sure if the click wheel shrank in size... I suppose its definitely thinner now.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #155 of 260
Video playback time: Up to 2 hours when fully charged

Yeah, I think I'll be sticking with my PSP for now. Well except I have to re-encode everything for it. At least I get a much much better LCD with the PSP's pitiful battery life.

There is an aftermarket hard drive/battery pack coming up soon for the PSP.

-Ed

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #158 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
H.264 support and the screen is still 4:3?

One could hope the new video features are not crippled by DRM.

I hope it does not require 320 x 240 native resolution for all videos. Otherwise I'd have to re-encode all my videos.

Video you put on it is not crippled by DRM. Video from the iTunes Store has FairPlay DRM.

H.264 must be encoded at 320x240 or lower, though there will undoubtedly be third-party utilities that will transcode existing video to that size if iTunes doesn't do it automatically. The home movies demo seems to suggest that iTunes can transcode, but it's hard to know for sure. MPEG4 (less computationally intensive) can be up to 480x480 before you need to transcode it.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #159 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Video playback time: Up to 2 hours when fully charged

Yeah, I think I'll be sticking with my PSP for now. Well except I have to re-encode everything for it. At least I get a much much better LCD with the PSP's pitiful battery life.

There is an aftermarket hard drive/battery pack coming up soon for the PSP.

-Ed

Even the PSP is abit cramped for video imo. After watching spider 2, my eyes feel crossed. I cant even imagine watching video on an ipod or cellphone.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #160 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1980
But the Russians are planning to steal movies as well? Is there a date?

It's just a joke-when I saw vodcasts mentioned plus apples pricing of $2 a video, I couldn't help thinking of vodkasts. Still it'll probably happen-with a different name though-puns just don't translate-unless you've had a serious amount of vodka.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #161 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
is there still bass rolloff with low impedence phones?

Looks like Apple finally got it right. No thanks to them for ignoring the Nano when they discovered the "gold standard".

Quote:

Apple told iLounge that the fifth-generation iPod features greatly enhanced audio recording and playback capabilities. The company said the new iPod sounds equally as good or better than the iPod shuffle, which Apple considers the gold standard in terms of sound quality.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #162 of 260
Up until now they've always made the wheel and screen the same width, which gave the player symmetry or feng shui (I'll just pretend I understand feng shui), I think that's why the new player doesn't look right to me. Also I like the headphone jack directly in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back