5g Ipod users CAUTION
Jan 22, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 81
Now theres something to make me feel a bit better for my 3G Ipod. I wonder if it will happen through the line out as well.
mad.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 81
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
rolleyes.gif

There is no EMPIRICAL evidence that the iPod is causing headphone/earphone failure. All we have is a bunch of ANECDOTAL evidence from iLounge that MIGHT indicate something's wrong. Until there's more concrete information and some hard data showing conclusively that an issue exists, I say keep your pants on. Or as Douglas Adams would say, "Don't panic!"
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManMower
Interesting.

I'm thinking it's time someone gets out a multimeter or an oscope and checks for DC offset or high powered sub/superaudible tones.

If I had one, or knew what that was, I would. Someone, please find out the source of this. Apple sure won't.

Weeman, wannabe-audiophile

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 81
Parallel universe, err, thread in Portable Audio:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158979
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weeman
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManMower
Interesting.

I'm thinking it's time someone gets out a multimeter or an oscope and checks for DC offset or high powered sub/superaudible tones.

If I had one, or knew what that was, I would. Someone, please find out the source of this. Apple sure won't.

DC offset: With silence being played, the voltage from R and L to ground should be equally zero. If there is some constant voltage present, that's a DC offset.
Sub/superaudible tones: tones with frequencies below and above the audible range, respectively.

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 81
And either DC offset or sub/superaudible tones will blow a headphone driver?
confused.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #23 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Parallel universe, err, thread in Portable Audio:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158979

DC offset: With silence being played, the voltage from R and L to ground should be equally zero. If there is some constant voltage present, that's a DC offset.
Sub/superaudible tones: tones with frequencies below and above the audible range, respectively.

I've never used my buds and I have zero problems, guess I am lucky. I was one of the first ones to get the new 5g, so I wonder if it is a more recent problem with the newer ones.

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #25 of 81
ok. I've got a 5th gen ipod and a multimeter. Its time somebody tested the DC offset.

Looks like my 30gig model has a DC offset of 0.002-0.001V with no music playing. Thats less then my cmoy, so I figure I'm safe. I've got a cheap multimeter, so it could be less then that.
It could just be certain defective ipods that have high offset.

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Hmmm guess I'll be having Edwood test mine the next time I visit him. It would really suck if it blew my UE-10s!!!

If my DAP blew a set of UE-10s I'd be so screw*** p****** that I reckon I'd be up for any kind of vengence going!! I can't even begin to think about affording something like that yet I already realise what they must sound like, and even the thought of something like that being destroyed is just sacruligeous!!

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #28 of 81
just another reason not to buy the iPod.

Their are other choices you know. Creative Vision:M Toshiba Gigabeat S (those are the ones with video). Plus the iAudio X5, Zen Sleek (or Photo).

The 5G iPod sounds nice (yall probably have amps) but what the point of buying a portable player when you need to get a dock to even use it safely.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #29 of 81
Anyone who uses the headphone out of their iPods should test for DC offset.

Just take any old mini-mini cable and two wires connected to a sensitive LED (a dollar at Radio Shack) and bare on the other side. Connect one end of the mini to mini cable to the headphone out of the iPod play music at maximum volume.

Touch the bare end of one those wires to the long metal section closest to the base of the exposed plug and the other wire to the middle metal section and then change that wire to the end metal section of the plug.

Then you have to have switch the wires such that the wire you used on the two outer sections of the plug is now touched to the long metal section closest to the base of the plug and the other wire is now tested on the two smaller metal sections. If you see the LED light up at any time during the four combinations you tested you have a problem.

I wish I could draw it out and I hope you understand how to do it or that someone else explains it better than I can. I urge you test out your iPod it's pretty simple.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #30 of 81
this is disturbing really....but looks like it only happens to a selected few...as for me, ive had the 5g ipod for about 3 months now, and unfortunately, the stock earbuds did have a problem with the right earpiece, and had apple replace it...then after that, been using the UM2 (unamped) for 2 months...but i have not had any problem with the UM2 before i switched to lineout...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back