5g Ipod users CAUTION
Jan 23, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #61 of 81
It is problems with individual iPod's. I think it is similar to the hissing problem that can be heard with IEM's. I have a slight hissing on mine when nothing is playing, it is louder on my Dad's iPod though, I have a friend, and he is taking his iPod back because he finds it unbearable with his Shure e3c's.

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #62 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
You guys had me worried for about 30 seconds... My ipod has had a chance to blow or damage over $1000 of headphones. So I tested DC offset, and have less than 2mv offset on both line and headphone out.

I do remember reading that the ipod uses output caps to prevent just this problem.

Luckily I'm in the No problem catagory. Feel free to panic if you want though...

If you're interested, I took the following from http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/input-cap.html

How Do You Measure DC Offset?

Put your meter on the DC millivolts scale and measure from ground to each channel.

It's most useful to measure this at the output of the amp, while it is plugged into the source. If your amp uses mini jacks (1/8"), put a mini-to-mini cable in the jack and measure from the long "sleeve" part to the "tip" and "ring" parts out at the end of the plug. With 1/4" jacks, it's a bit tougher because 1/4" to 1/4" cables aren't very common. Instead, it's simplest to measure between the solder lugs on the inside of the amp. If you don't want to open the amp up and can't find a 1/4" patch cable, a 1/4" to dual RCA adapter will also work: just measure from the inside of each RCA jack to the outer shell.

You can also measure DC offset at the source. Remember to multiply this by the amp's gain when deciding if it's acceptable.

I test every new amp I get before spending a great deal of time plugging my precious cans into them.

I use bare 1/4" and 1/8" plugss for test points.

-Ed

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
line out can be accessed through the docking prot at the bottom with the correct adapter.

Just a small addition to above statement: There's no volume control while accessing the dock port line out.

A.

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant1
Just a small addition to above statement: There's no volume control while accessing the dock port line out.

A.

The volume on older iPods didn't affect the line out, but the 5G volume will affect the line out, at least on a universal dock. (I think it remembers the line out volume setting separately compared to the headphone volume too, which is nice).

I discovered this with the little FrontRow remote that comes with new iMacs - it works with the universal dock. The scroll wheel on the 5G also affects the volume on the universal dock.

I just tested the 4G, and the FrontRow remote will control the volume on the line out, but it doesn't show the setting changing on the iPod's display when you do it (the 5G display shows the volume bar setting when you use the scroll wheel or FrontRow remote in the dock).

But you're right about the older iPods and older docks, there was no way to control the volume (which is usually the way a line out works anyway).

Also, there is no volume control for the PocketDock audio line out. (The little connector, not the full dock).

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie
The volume on older iPods didn't affect the line out, but the 5G volume will affect the line out, at least on a universal dock. (I think it remembers the line out volume setting separately compared to the headphone volume too, which is nice).

I just tried my 5G 60Gb and the volume control has not effect on the Pocket Dock lineout.

Simon

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
I just tried my 5G 60Gb and the volume control has not effect on the Pocket Dock lineout.

Simon

I said that at the end of my post. The volume affects the universal dock (the full size dock with the IR receiver in the front).

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #68 of 81
Gordie

Sorry I misread that last line
rolleyes.gif

Not sure how/why it controls the volume on the line out with the universal dock as the line out bypasses the amp in the iPod. Wonder if that is a feature or a bug
eek.gif

Simon

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #69 of 81
I have a 5G 60GB Black, incase it is restricted to certain batches. I goy .4mv on both channels. I tried skipping tracks and changing volume. The highest it would go is just over 1 mv for an instant than return to .4mv or less. Has anyone tested this over a period of time with a graphing meter? It seems the the claims of static in the right channel are not constant. We could be missing something.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #70 of 81
Personally I have used my new iPod video 30gb for many hours and and using it right now at full volume. If anything at all, it would be my left headphone that is giving any distortion at all. But even then I would jsut consider it to be a fault of the headphone itself and not the iPod. Seems like I'm the only person who has noticed anything with the left at all, I'll let everyone know if anything happens to it.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #71 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsamms
Personally I have used my new iPod video 30gb for many hours and and using it right now at full volume. If anything at all, it would be my left headphone that is giving any distortion at all. But even then I would jsut consider it to be a fault of the headphone itself and not the iPod. Seems like I'm the only person who has noticed anything with the left at all, I'll let everyone know if anything happens to it.

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your ears!
basshead.gif
I know how loud a full-volume 5G can go, and if you are blasting it at full it is TOO LOUD, even for 3 seconds! You WILL get tinnitus if you keep listening like that!
eek.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #72 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsamms

My iPod bud starts to show crackling sound in the left in just 3 weeks of using.

And because I consider it already broken, so I just use that to burn in tool. Like burning in my amp or other portable device, and the weird thing is that after several hundred hours of burning in. Those crackling are fixed.

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #74 of 81
Someone on the other forum, reported that its due to eletrical shock when you pull off you headphones. This would obviously only pertain to earbuds then, and also seems like something based on model. Definetly need to see the followup.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #75 of 81
i went to my local radioshack to check and see if my 5g may be bad or something.. well, the multimeter they had there had either Volts or mA.. so i tried mA and it showed .4 from tip to center ring and 1.0-1.2 from tip to inner ring.. is that bad or was i just checking the totally wrong thing?

i just dont want to end up messing up my new headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back