5g Ipod users CAUTION
Jan 23, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #31 of 81
I think this is all part of the Great Evil Apple's sinister plan to get people to buy Bose Triports. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, I'm ears wide open.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #32 of 81
In the last month or so, I have noticed a small electrical crackle when listening to my Sony CD900ST's. It will only happen once in a while, but it is definately noticable when it does happen.

Actually, it occures when plugged into other sources also, so I thought maybe I just dropped them or damaged them some other way. Now this is making me wonder if the iPod was the cause.

As far as I can remember, the crackle occures in the right ear.

Ill have to follow these threads very closley. Thanks to the original poster.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploop
just another reason not to buy the iPod.

Their are other choices you know. Creative Vision:M Toshiba Gigabeat S (those are the ones with video). Plus the iAudio X5, Zen Sleek (or Photo).

The 5G iPod sounds nice (yall probably have amps) but what the point of buying a portable player when you need to get a dock to even use it safely.

We are not stupid. We know. Some of us exclusively use our DAPS with amps from the line out of our DAPs. How's the line out on your iAudio? Not so good I hear.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #34 of 81
Seeing that its becoming a noticeable problem. Is it safe to say at this stage that this is a major factor for someone deciding on an ipod? A reason not to buy an ipod. Was right about to pick up an ipod today unitil I saw this. Dont want to ruin my e4g....

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #35 of 81
This very SAME issue happened to the first video iPod I bought. Originally I wanted to just pay the 10% fee and get a new one because I scratched up bad the first one but the moment I started listening to it when I bought it, the right earbud died. This very same incident happened. In retro, I'm glad I returned the ipod for another that didn't destroy my ER4Ps....

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #36 of 81
Bill, Aaron, Luis.

I guess we're having a DC offset 5G iPod party at my place.
wink.gif

Oh, and check with Ray, because if the input on the Hornet does not have filter caps it may not "block" the offset. Depends on whether the line out has a large offset or not.

Either way, bring you Sik Din's too.

-Ed

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #38 of 81
So based on nothing more than a bunch of posters freakin' out, everyone's headphones are gonna explode and Apple has become the Microsoft of DAPs.
blink.gif
Oh, the irony! You people are killin' me.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #39 of 81
just measured the headphone out on my 20GB B&W 3rd gen:

12 mV DC offset between ground and right channel

0.1 mV DC offset between ground and left channel

12 mv DC offset between right and left channel

offset was less than 1mV on the line out.

measured with my fluke multimeter.

good thing i only use the line out! seems the safe cutoff is around 20-30mV for safe offset depending on who you ask (and if you're using an amp from the headphone output, rather than the line out), so if apple (inadvertantly?)bumped this up in the more recent 4G and 5G iPods, this could be the reason for all these failures. not good for apple, i guess.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #40 of 81
If this problem is occuring to large quantities of people, and is not occuring to people with other DAPs, when we may safely assume that either 1) everyones headphones are screwed up or 2) the iPod has some problem that screws up headphones.

Take your pick, I think #2 is a valid reason against buying an iPod.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #41 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
So based on nothing more than a bunch of posters freakin' out, everyone's headphones are gonna explode and Apple has become the Microsoft of DAPs.
blink.gif
eggosmile.gif

I'm not freaking out, but there's no harm in checking it out.

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Anyone who uses the headphone out of their iPods should test for DC offset.

Just take any old mini-mini cable and two wires connected to a sensitive LED (a dollar at Radio Shack) and bare on the other side. Connect one end of the mini to mini cable to the headphone out of the iPod play music at maximum volume.

Touch the bare end of one those wires to the long metal section closest to the base of the exposed plug and the other wire to the middle metal section and then change that wire to the end metal section of the plug.

Then you have to have switch the wires such that the wire you used on the two outer sections of the plug is now touched to the long metal section closest to the base of the plug and the other wire is now tested on the two smaller metal sections. If you see the LED light up at any time during the four combinations you tested you have a problem.

I wish I could draw it out and I hope you understand how to do it or that someone else explains it better than I can. I urge you test out your iPod it's pretty simple.

I'm sorry but AFAIK this scheme won't work. even the most sensitive LED's (green and red) wont give out any detectable light at 5mV or even 12mV.

Sensitive led's usually light at about a volt and many times more! (try connecting a random LED to an AA, now get a pair of stock buts and put that 1.5V through them, thats 1500mV)

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #43 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
blink.gif
eggosmile.gif

No one's freaking out, but with so many similar reports of the right side of headphones zonking out with 5G iPods, it certainly seems like a good idea to investigate this further. I, for one, will be holding off upgrading my current 60GB 4G iPod to a 5G model, as I was planning on doing later this month, until I'm confident I know what the hell is going on.

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #44 of 81
As I mentioned in the other thread, the iPod zapped me through the earbuds a few days ago, but this was actually my second go at the 5g iPod. Now that I think of it, I remember consistently hearing distortion out of the right earbud with my first 5g iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back