500$ to spend, what headphones
May 18, 2009 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

zupa

Head-Fier
I'm a bit of a noob with full sized headphones, but have decided to get a decent pair.

I would prefer closed headphones. Is there a major difference between open and closed headphones? Which sounds better?

So anyways I have 500$ to spend not including an amp, if an amp is recommended let me know. This will be for my PC, will be listening to music and playing games etc.

Any recommendations? What headphones should I be looking at?

May 18, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 50
Yes, there is a difference between open and closed headphones.

Closed headphones have a cup behind the driver, sealing it off. The cup will block outside noise and also keep others from hearing what you're listening to.

Open headphones are open behind the driver. You will be able to hear some outside noise and people will be able to hear them.

It might sound like closed headphones have all the advantages, but there's a big drawback to having cups. Sound comes from the other side of the driver and it has to go somewhere. Some closed headphones do a good job of blocking and absorbing the sound coming from the back, but some don't.

If they don't do a good job, then you'll hear a reflection of that sound come back through the driver. Even if you do manage to damp them well, there are always a number of compromises with closed headphones, including a smaller soundstage.

Open headphones don't have problems with reflections. They're not perfect, but you usually get better fidelity from an open headphone.

Everyone wants a closed headphone when they first come here, but many switch to open after they've heard a few and enjoyed them.

Personally, I only have two closed pairs. The Sonys I like for airplanes and the DT48s are a somewhat oddball cult item that I happen to love.

I'd strongly recommend going with open headphones if you're going to listen at home. Closed are better for public areas and when you don't want to share your music with the person sitting next to you.

As for a recommendation, I'll go out on a limb and tell you to get the new Grado HF-2.

And I don't know what it is and neither does anyone else.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the HF-1 was tremendously good value for the money and the HF-2 should be, as well. Also, they'll be difficult to find once the promotion ends. Moreover, you'll probably be able to sell them for more than you paid six months on.

May 18, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 50
thanks for the very helpful response Erik

You're right I should use open headphones, I wont be using these in public so who cares

As far as amps go, is it fairly common for headphones of this price range to be need an amp? Will and amp make a big difference? I guess it's really headphone specific but I thought I'd ask anyways.

May 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by zupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a bit of a noob with full sized headphones, but have decided to get a decent pair.

I would prefer closed headphones. Is there a major difference between open and closed headphones? Which sounds better?

So anyways I have 500$ to spend not including an amp, if an amp is recommended let me know. This will be for my PC, will be listening to music and playing games etc.

Any recommendations? What headphones should I be looking at?

780 pro/D2000/AD900.. Check out thew new Shure models too..

May 18, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 50
Get in on the Grado HF2 deal now. Will be your only chance, will likely drive easily and can upgrade your source, if you wish, later.

May 18, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 50
$500 - Man, I just love my AT ESW10's. Used they run just short of $500 in great condition. Let me repeat that I love them and won't part with them for a long time; then let me say I think they are probably overpriced by a couple hundred bucks. They don't really need an amp, great bass, great detail, tiny, light, and gorgeous. And overpriced. Maybe.

May 18, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 50
there are so many great headphones for $500.. at least 15 headphones for $500 that people will swear by. you are just in for some confusion.

do some research first, otherwise you'll just end up buying someguy's recommendation with the most persuasion skill.

May 18, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 50
I'd keep researching. And for those recommending the HF-2, that's just terrible. He stated he's a noob to headphones and just leading him on.

OP. I'll make it clear. NO ONE HERE WHO RECOMMENDED THE HF-2 KNOWS WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE. THEY DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY EVEN LOOK LIKE. THEY KNOW NOTHING! It's just speculation. And more than likely they are Grado fan boys who will buy anything Grado anounces, actually they are. They pre-ordered a product they know absolutely nothing about, except that it costs more than $400 from Todd, who sells EVERYTHING at MSRP. You want to buy headphones at the maximum, most expensive price on the market? Buy from Todd. I'm not a Grado fan, but dont' look at it as saying don't buy this. Just saying, there is no information right now about it. Don't just buy something on the words of a few fan boys. Do your research on a headphone that will fit your needs.

I'd recommend figuring out what environment where you will be listening to headphones the most. At school, in public, or in privacy of your home. Do you need something portable or just sit down. Need something that will keep sound out or sound coming out of your headphone important? What type of music you listen to.

There are also a few FAQs and informational threads here, read them. Read the one that has a dictionary of the various terms used here for headphone reviews, gives you an idea of what the author is trying to say. Also just read a lot of threads. That way you will figure out who has similar interests as you and who's impressions and advice you can trust. Remember this is Head-Fi, it's full of fanboys, me included, and it's all subjective reviews. Almost nothing here is objective.

Other recommendation, just disregard and ignore a lot of posts here unless the post is made by someone with actual experience. If you ask about the HD600 headphone, don't listen to me. I don't have the HD600 nor do I have experience with them. Only trust the opinions of those you are sure that have experience with the headphones you are interested in. Be sure to buy what will make you happy, not let people convince you what they think you should like.

Have fun, good luck.

May 18, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OP. I'll make it clear. NO ONE HERE WHO RECOMMENDED THE HF-2 KNOWS WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE. THEY DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY EVEN LOOK LIKE. THEY KNOW NOTHING!

Lol... that is so true.

Anyway head-fi is such a wrong forum for questions such as these.. should just go read cnet's best recommendation or something.

"welcome to head-fi. the blackhole to your bank account. "

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back