$500 IEM opinions
Mar 27, 2021 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

wulunzun

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Moondrop KXXS and my budget is $500. I read quite a few reviews and have narrowed down my choice of IEMs to Final B3, Oriveti OH500 and Fiio FH7.

I listen mainly to pop and vocals. Using a LG V50 to drive the IEM. I also have a Fiio BTR3 for music from my laptop using bluetooth or USB DAC.

Need some opinions which IEM to go for. Thanks.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 31
Are you willing to buy used? Opens up tons of options.

What has you looking at those three specifically?

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 31
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Moondrop KXXS and my budget is $500. I read quite a few reviews and have narrowed down my choice of IEMs to Final B3, Oriveti OH500 and Fiio FH7.

I listen mainly to pop and vocals. Using a LG V50 to drive the IEM. I also have a Fiio BTR3 for music from my laptop using bluetooth or USB DAC.

Your budget suit well for the newest Tribrid from Dunu ( EST112) which is coming out soon. But of course, need to hear early adopters and impressions first.

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 31
Are you willing to buy used? Opens up tons of options.

What has you looking at those three specifically?
I definitely don't mind buying used if I can get a pair with even better sound than those I mentioned. But I don't know where to get it online.

Actually, I'm looking at non-Chinese IEMs. Reason being I have been buying Chinese IEMs since I started this hobby.
My first pair is the KZ ZST Pro. I find it too warm and too much emphasis on bass such that the mids and treble are recessed.
My second pair is the Dunu Titan 3. I liked it but can't remember the sound signature as I have already given it away.
My 3rd pair is the Moondrop KXXS. The bass is not impactful enough and the mids/treble (not sure which as I am a noob) can be quite piercing (too bright?) when the female singer goes to the high notes.

So, my first choice is the Final B3. The reason being it has "Midrange with good bass and treble; Clarity". But there are also some reviewers who say the bass is not enough and the treble has "extra sparkle". So I'm afraid that it will be like the Moondrop KXXS.

Upon further consideration, I think the Oriveti OH300's sound signature may be more towards my taste. Good mids and trebles but I'm concerned about the bass.

I know the Fiio is a Chinese company but it has such good reviews that I'm willing to give it a go if people recommend it over the other 2. But it is my last choice.
FH7 has got the impactful bass that I"m looking for and it is also good for vocals.

Of the 3 IEMs, I like Final B3's design the most. It is modern looking yet not loud. Does not have the company label or IEM Model printed big over the face plate. It also does not have the loud color designs like UM and Kinera that screams "Come look at me!". I do like UM and Kinera type of color designs but I prefer the elegance of Final Audio's design and colors which is very typical Japanese Zen style.

2nd one with regards to design is FH7. Black and gold looks old-style rich to me. And the last one is OH300. The "Oriveti" across the faceplate just puts me off.

I know there are more IEMs under $500 that I did not mention like the Audiosense T800 and BGVP DM8 but they are all Chinese companies. As I said, I want to try IEMs from companies in other countries so I ruled these out unless they sound better than FH7, then I will consider as my last choice.

Edit: Is the sound signature I'm looking for called "W" shaped? Impactful bass, forward and clear vocals, not so bright treble.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 31
Eh, I'd say you're looking for Harmon curve tuning more than W-shaped, but that's probably my own personal bias showing.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 31
I definitely don't mind buying used if I can get a pair with even better sound than those I mentioned. But I don't know where to get it online.

Actually, I'm looking at non-Chinese IEMs. Reason being I have been buying Chinese IEMs since I started this hobby.
My first pair is the KZ ZST Pro. I find it too warm and too much emphasis on bass such that the mids and treble are recessed.
My second pair is the Dunu Titan 3. I liked it but can't remember the sound signature as I have already given it away.
My 3rd pair is the Moondrop KXXS. The bass is not impactful enough and the mids/treble (not sure which as I am a noob) can be quite piercing (too bright?) when the female singer goes to the high notes.

So, my first choice is the Final B3. The reason being it has "Midrange with good bass and treble; Clarity". But there are also some reviewers who say the bass is not enough and the treble has "extra sparkle". So I'm afraid that it will be like the Moondrop KXXS.

Upon further consideration, I think the Oriveti OH300's sound signature may be more towards my taste. Good mids and trebles but I'm concerned about the bass.

I know the Fiio is a Chinese company but it has such good reviews that I'm willing to give it a go if people recommend it over the other 2. But it is my last choice.
FH7 has got the impactful bass that I"m looking for and it is also good for vocals.

Of the 3 IEMs, I like Final B3's design the most. It is modern looking yet not loud. Does not have the company label or IEM Model printed big over the face plate. It also does not have the loud color designs like UM and Kinera that screams "Come look at me!". I do like UM and Kinera type of color designs but I prefer the elegance of Final Audio's design and colors which is very typical Japanese Zen style.

2nd one with regards to design is FH7. Black and gold looks old-style rich to me. And the last one is OH300. The "Oriveti" across the faceplate just puts me off.

I know there are more IEMs under $500 that I did not mention like the Audiosense T800 and BGVP DM8 but they are all Chinese companies. As I said, I want to try IEMs from companies in other countries so I ruled these out unless they sound better than FH7, then I will consider as my last choice.

Edit: Is the sound signature I'm looking for called "W" shaped? Impactful bass, forward and clear vocals, not so bright treble.
My friend, Chinese company now makes the best IEMs now... especially for price to value performance, many European/American legends already retreated from the competitions. There is no reasons to hate chinese companies.
If you find KXXS’s bass lacks punch, and not liking bright signature, It makes me that you are more of basshead, for that maybe try UM 3DT?

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 31
My friend, Chinese company now makes the best IEMs now... especially for price to value performance, many European/American legends already retreated from the competitions. There is no reasons to hate chinese companies.
If you find KXXS’s bass lacks punch, and not liking bright signature, It makes me that you are more of basshead, for that maybe try UM 3DT?
I'm not hating on Chinese companies. It's just that I have already owned 3 IEMs from Chinese companies. I want to try IEMs from other companies.

The Chinese companies produce a lot of IEMs and a lot of them are good. You can find cheap IEMs with specs that rival high-end IEMs from other non-Chinese companies. But I find, from my limited experience, that they seem to be only going for specs or technicalities. There is no character in their IEMs. From the 3 IEMs I owned, I even forgot the sound signature of DUNU Titan 3 after I gave it away. It's like a movie that you enjoyed while watching it, but forgets the plot or what the movie is about after you leave the cinema.

I can find people talking about the JVC wood diaphragm IEMs with affection, for example, but non of those for Chinese IEMs. And this is precisely the reason why I want to try IEMs from other countries to hear and experience the difference. Let me quote @Dobrescu George in his review here:

"You probably knew from the start, and by looking at the prices of both, that neither isn't necessarily a value IEM, and if you wanted great value, you could probably explore Chifi a bit more, rather than looking at a Japanese producer. Priced at 500 USD for Final B3, and 300 USD for Final B2, they are a fair value, and the value is given more by the beautiful aesthetic, unboxing experience, reliable support, build quality, comfort, and sound quality, so the whole product as a whole, rather than the sonic quality alone, as it is for some Chifi IEMs."

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 31
I'm not hating on Chinese companies. It's just that I have already owned 3 IEMs from Chinese companies. I want to try IEMs from other companies.

The Chinese companies produce a lot of IEMs and a lot of them are good. You can find cheap IEMs with specs that rival high-end IEMs from other non-Chinese companies. But I find, from my limited experience, that they seem to be only going for specs or technicalities. There is no character in their IEMs. From the 3 IEMs I owned, I even forgot the sound signature of DUNU Titan 3 after I gave it away. It's like a movie that you enjoyed while watching it, but forgets the plot or what the movie is about after you leave the cinema.

I can find people talking about the JVC wood diaphragm IEMs with affection, for example, but non of those for Chinese IEMs. And this is precisely the reason why I want to try IEMs from other countries to hear and experience the difference. Let me quote @Dobrescu George in his review here:

"You probably knew from the start, and by looking at the prices of both, that neither isn't necessarily a value IEM, and if you wanted great value, you could probably explore Chifi a bit more, rather than looking at a Japanese producer. Priced at 500 USD for Final B3, and 300 USD for Final B2, they are a fair value, and the value is given more by the beautiful aesthetic, unboxing experience, reliable support, build quality, comfort, and sound quality, so the whole product as a whole, rather than the sonic quality alone, as it is for some Chifi IEMs."
Sorry to hear, but your chifi experience is only limited. They do have own unique sound signature, among many of copycats. That reviewer is just one of stereotypical one, I feel his sense is stacked at 2015. For 2015 his statements makes sense, not anymore.
It is understandable that you are trying some new breathe, but after a while you would realize” oh hey the oversea legends many discussed is just this much?” and probably come back to chifi again. Dunu is going to release 460usd ish EST tribrid, that’s something you may consider in an adventure. And moondrop’s blessing2 has one of highest cohesive IEM among all, including final, sony, Sennheiser, other small german/austrian companies.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 31
The Dunu SA6 and the Moondrop Blessing 2 as well as Dusk model are all within your price range and are very highly rated. With the SA6 Dunu includes a very good cable including 2.5, 4.4 and 3.5 mm changeable terminations.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 31

I had the predecessor of the KXXS (Kanas Pro) and liked it a lot for it's smooth, fun and kind of "holographic" signature.
I have since gone through a bunch of upgrades and listening tests with DD, BA and Hybrid IEMs.

DD IEMs tend to sound smoother (with good tunig) and have more oomph and rumble potential than BA, so if you'd like to keep that characteristic of the KXXS the upgrade would be a DD. Here the DROP JVC FDX1 is a good choice (or the original FD01 or FD02 if you are willing to make some simple mods).
The discontinued Sony EX1000 is a legend and can be found used between $250 and $400. Excellent bass quality and very open and transparent but has a treble spike that makes it a little fatiguing. Better with orchestra than vocals IMO.

But if you are looking for a BA or Hybrid, then I agree with @claud W that the Blessing 2 (Dusk) is excellent value. Straight from my old iPhone SE I even prefer the B2 to my 3x more expensive Sony IER-M9. (On the Chord Hugo 2 the M9 is magic though). B2 is Chifi, but really good. I'd recommend the Dusk though for a slightly less analytical tuning.
The Dunu SA6 looks very interesting too.

Best would be if you could go to a store and listen to as many IEMs as possible, not just in your price range but well above too.
I did that in Japan a few years back and it was lot of fun and I learned a lot! That Sony IER-Z1R was really impressive...

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 31
My vote: look at used listings, get the highest end The Custom Art IEM you can find in budget. :wink:

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 31

I do think there are good Chifi IEMs out there too.

Most of the non-chifi tend to be a bit more pricey for their quality, while Chifi stuff tends to have the strongest price / performance ratio

What kind of sound are you looking for?

B3 won't be W and won't have strong bass and mids, it is traidtional V-Shaped

If you want a stronger bass and fwd mids but leaner treble, I'd recommend FiiO FA9.

Do not go FH7, they are bright and colder sounding, and my understandting is that you want something warmer.

TheCustomArt IEMs tend to have the kind of sound you're looking for. Also Percusion P3 from Jomo Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back