$500 IEM opinions
Apr 1, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #31 of 31
The Sony XBA N3 is a really nice IEM, good choice!
I listened to it in 2019 and really liked the combination of clean and powerful bass with a smooth and resolving midrange.
Interesting that you could hear the cable differences so clearly. You might want to try different DACs in the future. I think you'd like the improvements!

But for now: Enjoy! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Maybe because I kept playing the same tracks over and over just to listen to differences between the IEMs and headphones so I could pick up the change after the cable switch. I think I was in the shop for at least 4 hours. 4 hours of repeating the same 3-5 tracks should bring some familiarity with the songs. Never been so technical about audio gear in my life. Good experience.

In fact, I also tried the full copper version of the Smoky Litz, which is even more expensive: $45 more if I remember correctly. But I did not like the sound signature. Too warm for me and most importantly, did nothing to bring the mids forward. Both that I tested were with the 3.5mm jack. I bought the 2.5mm balanced one because they did not have stock for 3.5mm silver-plated version. I think 2.5mm should be a good choice though as the DAC upgrade in future can drive it better.

I intend to use the N3AP at home with my laptop as source so I will get a DAC suitable for this IEM later on. Will be using the KXXS as my travel IEM. The N3AP looks so delicate that I'm afraid I will break something within weeks of use with my carelessness and roughness in handling gear if I bring it outside.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back