$500 desktop setup?
Dec 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #31 of 76
  Curious as to what you finally decided to do.

I'm still waiting. The money I'm going to use I don't actually have yet, so that's a factor! I think I've pretty much decided I'm gonna commit to the HD650 and Magni + Modi Ubers. There's a website called FocusCamera that's selling the 650 for $299.99, so I hope it'll still be that low when I get to it. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #32 of 76
Similar situation as you - I just picked up the Magni 2U + Modi 2U, but a pair of the AKG 7xx headphones from Massdrop, instead of the HD650s. I do like the 650s, but from all the impressions I've read, the AKGs are effectively on-par if not better-than the Senns, and it would keep you under your $500 budget.

Still waiting for it all to arrive, so patience is key. I'm confident that my initial investment in Amp + DAC will last me for quite some time, and the weak-point in my audio chain will be source audio. By the time I'm ready to upgrade... hopefully there will be reasonable, noticeable upgrades available!

-David

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #33 of 76
Thanks for sharing David! Certainly post here when you receive your new toys, I'd be interested to read what your impressions are.

I am in the same boat as you in terms of source equipment. Currently, I have a late 2013 iMac, but I've decided I'll sell it off pretty soon to build my own PC. I don't know if I'll have the leftover budget for an upgraded soundcard so my source will be lacking as well...

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #34 of 76
Thanks for sharing David! Certainly post here when you receive your new toys, I'd be interested to read what your impressions are.

I am in the same boat as you in terms of source equipment. Currently, I have a late 2013 iMac, but I've decided I'll sell it off pretty soon to build my own PC. I don't know if I'll have the leftover budget for an upgraded soundcard so my source will be lacking as well...

Well if you use a PC or Mac but run into a DAC + Amp then your source will be fine. I recommend foobar as your player.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #35 of 76
Well if you use a PC or Mac but run into a DAC + Amp then your source will be fine. I recommend foobar as your player.

Yeah, it should be fine. I'll give foobar a look. I'm selling some stuff on Craigslist (hopefully), so I might end up having enough to get some speakers too. That's a whole other discussion however, and I know nothing of speakers. Do you guys know of any good starting speakers for a PC audio setup when I'm not using the HD650's?

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #36 of 76
Audioengine A5
Yeah, it should be fine. I'll give foobar a look. I'm selling some stuff on Craigslist (hopefully), so I might end up having enough to get some speakers too. That's a whole other discussion however, and I know nothing of speakers. Do you guys know of any good starting speakers for a PC audio setup when I'm not using the HD650's?

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #37 of 76

Emotiva airmotiv 4s for powered monitors and the HTD level three for passive bookshelf speakers.

If you want to make a new thread for a new speaker setup, avsforum would probably be a better place to ask.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #38 of 76
OK, been awhile but I finally finished my new PC build and bought Magni 2 + Modi 2 Ubers. Just waiting on the price for the HD650 to drop back down before I go for those too. There's a couple for $300 on eBay from trusted sellers, but I want to have the option to return if I need it so I will wait for Amazon or B&H.

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #39 of 76
I'm also just now realizing the Modi doesn't come with the USB cable and neither comes with the RCA necessary to hook them up. Any recommendations or can I just grab any short length off Amazon and be fine?

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #41 of 76
  I'm also just now realizing the Modi doesn't come with the USB cable and neither comes with the RCA necessary to hook them up. Any recommendations or can I just grab any short length off Amazon and be fine?

I just got Monoprice cables. Some of them cost under a dollar.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #42 of 76
What about optical and coax inputs on the Modi? I don't have a preamp and I'd have to check to be sure my motherboard supports either optical or coax.

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #45 of 76
Oh I thought they were usually higher fidelity. No matter, my motherboard has neither optical nor coax.

On average, in the context of sound quality problems caused by the type of connection used, I've heard worse things about optical and coax. It depends on many factors, but unless you have the resources to experiment between them yourself, USB is your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back