$500 desktop setup?
Dec 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 76
FWIW the beyers also come with a screw -on plug that has the 6.3 unscrewing to reveal a 3.5.

As far as in bed. A phone will play those phones but not very loud. You would need to plug into your magni for better volume - I would do this using a "Y" device like I showed earlier then rca into the magni (that or a fiio type dac/amp) . I typically listen with my denons or piopneer in bed as they are low impedance high sensitivity cans.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 76
Ok, I'll see about a y-splitter for sure. Like I said, I don't know much about cables, do RCA outputs have 2 cords that plug into the amp?

Do you think it's worth it to go for the uber version of the magni? I definitely want the modi uber since I need the usb capability, but I'm not sure if I'll need the extra power the magni will afford, since it already delivers 260mw of power.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 76
in essence what that Y adapter will do will give you the same output as you have on the back of your Modi. Two RCA receptacles that you would plug in your to RCA cords that go to the magni. it essentially turns the headphone output jack on your phone or tablet into the same as what you would find on a DAC. I am considering a uber Modi as well but I really don't know the answer to the question on the Magni other than is the 50 bucks worth peace of mind knowing that you won't ever have to worry about the fact that you didn't upgrade

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #19 of 76
Ok, I'll see about a y-splitter for sure. Like I said, I don't know much about cables, do RCA outputs have 2 cords that plug into the amp?

Do you think it's worth it to go for the uber version of the magni? I definitely want the modi uber since I need the usb capability, but I'm not sure if I'll need the extra power the magni will afford, since it already delivers 260mw of power.

The standard Modi comes with USB.  The Modi Uber adds coaxial inputs and a better analog section, so if you only need usb input then the Uber is unnecessary.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #21 of 76
What exactly are coaxial and optical inputs? Is there a fidelity benefit to using them or are there other other applications?

Also, as between the DT770/880/990, are there real definitive differences between the three that would allow me to rule some out? I've read a few comparison threads and it seems there aren't too many major tradeoffs between them. The DT880 seems to be the most neutral out of the three, the DT990 the bassiest, and the DT770 seems to be the least developed of the three in bass, midrange, and soundstage. I'm thinking I'll just go with the DT880, but I'm still kind of unsure...

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #22 of 76
You have maximum connectivity, many computer soundcards have optical out as do a number of other devices such as many disc players, same with digital coax. Also an upgraded analog section.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 76
You have maximum connectivity, many computer soundcards have optical out as do a number of other devices such as many disc players, same with digital coax. Also an upgraded analog section.

Oh so the headphone port doubles as optical out for compatible devices? Just looked it up for my computer, I do have that capability. My Thunderbolt port also allows for HDMI connections if that becomes an option. But I guess I'll just stick to USB for now.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #25 of 76
Unfortunately the Sennheiser HD650 has just risen in price by $45 to $360. I can't really afford it now. Is there a general trend for its price, can I expect it to come down after Christmas?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #26 of 76
  Unfortunately the Sennheiser HD650 has just risen in price by $45 to $360. I can't really afford it now. Is there a general trend for its price, can I expect it to come down after Christmas?

It might go back up; this is the first time I've even seen it go that low from the $499 MSRP. It usually only dips down to $399.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #27 of 76

It might go back up; this is the first time I've even seen it go that low from the $499 MSRP. It usually only dips down to $399.

Well then there's no way I can afford it with the Modi+Magni Ubers. $313 was pushing it. Too bad.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #28 of 76
So are you dropping the hd650 (perhaps a hd600?) , going to Beyerdynamics, or gonna switch dac/amp combo?

FWIW here is an ecay "buy it now" listing from authorized dealer for $299 but it voids the return idea 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SENNHEISER-HD650-HD-650-PROFESSIONAL-STEREO-HEADPHONES-AUTH-DEALER-WITH-WTY-/131381174884?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1e96eda264

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #29 of 76
If the price doesn't go up anymore, I guess I'll just drop the uber off the Magni. However, I won't be able to buy the stuff for another couple of days and by that time I bet it'll be back over $400, in which case I don't know what I'll do.

I may just buy used from Amazon, they're still around $320 but they increase with the new price.

Thanks for the link, I may just commit to the 650 since you can't really go wrong with it, especially at $299.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back