$500 Budget for Headphones, please help!
Mar 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ramzal

New Head-Fier
I currently purchased the Schiit Modi and Magni combo, and am looking for a good pair of headphones to go with them!

My budget is $500 on Amazon, preferably. Since I'm a prime member and can utilize the shipping.

I play alot of videogames on my computer, so gaming audio is highly important.
I also listen to alot of electronic and metal music.
Comfort is also important, as they'll be on my head for hours on end.

I may be fickle, but I can't do the HE-400s.  I just can't stand how they look.
I'm looking at the HD650s or the Beyerdynamic 990 Premium 250 Ohm, K702 Annie, K712 Pro, or some other recommendation from you guys!

If any of you have any input or suggestions, please let me know! I appreciate it greatly. I'm kind of new to the scene, so any advice is appreciated.

I realize I might have posted this in the wrong section. Is there any chance I can get a mod to move it?

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 12
For gaming, you're better off with something like the creative go! Pro USB soundcard since game audio isn't usually high quality, but are filled with directional cues.

As for headphones. You should visit this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-2-20-2014-boompro-list-chicoloms-faq-added

I rEcommnd you get the Philips x1 since you dont ike the he400, which is a shame. How about the he500 instead? :tongue_smile:

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 12
I would highly recommend The V-Moda M-100. Denon D5000 are also very good.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 12
  Thanks for the responses! Does this mean I'd have a bad time going with the HD650s?

I ordered them already, I can return them. But I'm hoping I'll like them,

No no, not at all. The 650 are regarded as one of the best headphones for the money. You will probably love them.

I only have the HD598 and I love them for gaming, movies and music. The HD650 also pairs nicely with the DAC/Amp you bought, so no worries, I think you have a great setup.

Cheers,
K

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 12
V-Moda M-100 = totally unsuitable for PC gaming due to the bass overkill. Well okay, depends how serious you take your gaming. But if you think this will work in i.e. LoL or Dota2 for you, forget about it. The vmoda is great for bassheads tho, and if you due to your personal music preference prefer that, yeah maybe they are for you. An additional cable can tunr them into a headset (with mic).

Only downside i can think off with the hd 650 is the cable on both sides. If this does not bother you, great. Further they are an open back design

All the headphones you mentioned are open back. Some gamers prefer closed cans for noise isolation from outside - for example to help ignore noisy family members/animals.

Otherwise I think HD 650 are golden. I use K702 65th currently and swap in a MDR-V6 if i want isolation. Tried also the Magni/Modi but went back to my WA7 as dac/amp.
Just enjoy the music more with it.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back