~50 dollar Neutral Monitor IEMs with Good Isolation/Comfort
Apr 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

duke11235

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good set of budget IEMs with a tonally balanced, clear, and neutral sound. I'm planning on using these while doing homework, so I need good isolation and comfort.
I've read about the ThinkSound MS01, but they are a little bit more than I want to spend. I'm also not planning on getting an amp for them. They need to be built pretty well, they'll be traveling around in my backpack. I can get a case for them if necessary.

Thank you.
Ben

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 7
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-

The MS01's strong suit really isn't clarity, goes for a thicker note presentation and lushness, loads of lush mids that mix really nicely with the bass. With this budget, and if you're inclined to wear stuff over-the-ears (I know some aren't partial to that), the E30/PL50s seem to fit the the description of the tonal balance. Very comfy, very balanced and clear, they don't have a hard case included though, at least from what I can remember.

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I'm looking for a good set of budget IEMs with a tonally balanced, clear, and neutral sound. I'm planning on using these while doing homework, so I need good isolation and comfort.
I've read about the ThinkSound MS01, but they are a little bit more than I want to spend. I'm also not planning on getting an amp for them. They need to be built pretty well, they'll be traveling around in my backpack. I can get a case for them if necessary.

Thank you.
Ben

MS-01 are not neutral.  They are quite bass focused.  Still a great IEM, but not neutral.

Quote:
Etymotic Etykids.  Checks off everything you want, and can be found for well under your price limit.

This would definitely work, the EtyKids neutrality was targeted towards binomial neutrality (other recordings tend to have a bump in the upper treble).  They are neutral though.  Another idea would be the HiFiMan RE0 if you can find them. 

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 7
I second both the Etykids and RE0. I have recently purchased both. I prefer the etykids but they are 300 ohm and would need an amp to get "loud". Though they isolate REALLY well so really not necessary. Also at $25 on amazon you really cant beat it. Their purpose is to help kids save their hearing by limiting volume output.

If you want the RE0, email head direct through their site. I ordered a pair about 2 weeks ago for about $55. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back