5 years out the game - please help! DAP/DAC
Oct 14, 2021 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

djpinhd

New Head-Fier
TLDR: I need recommendations for great DAP/DAC combos (preferably a DAP with a great onboard DAC) to pair with my Shure Aonic 5s. Am open to used DAPs so my used budget will be around £250-£300.

A few years ago I started taking sound quality seriously and have always favoured IEMs. During teenage/early 20s years I owned the following (in order):

Sennheiser IE8
Shure SE215
Shure SE530
Shure SE535
Westone UM 30 PRO/U3MX
Sennheiser IE800
Westone UM 50 PRO

In terms of DAPs, I remember initially getting the iPod classic as this had a better chip, but then when I got my IE800s I bought the Fiio X5. Now, I absolutely loved the sound quality pairing however I used this setup for walks and the microphonics of the IE800s annoyed me. The other thing was that although the sound quality was sublime, the X5 was really buggy, had frequent crashes, the scroll wheel felt horrible and I just didn't find it practical at all. So I sold up and stopped listening to as much music.

I bought some HD599s a couple of months ago purely for gaming and I got the bug back! They are lovely open backs that I'd recommend to anyone. However too much sound leakage to listen at a decent volume. Got some £20 earbuds from Sony for work and immediately made me realise I need an IEM so got the Shure Aonic 5s used for £250 from CEX (in the uk).

Now, my current driver is a Galaxy S10+. It is Horrendous with a capital H for sound quality. I do actually have an LG G7 Quad DAC phone that is broken but can be repaired for £50. I've always liked the sound quality of this but the phone itself isn't great in my opinion hence the change.

So, I guess there's a few things I was thinking to do just off the top of my head:

1. Repair my LG G7 for £50, and live happily ever after (although I have to state I'm not a fan of UAPP for the bugginess)
2. Use a portable DAC (?) with my S10+, which I think would bypass the chip in the s10? Currently I'm doing this with a Fiio E10k which is entry level. Again, I'd have to use UAPP for best sound quality which I would like to avoid if possible, and having a phone + ek10 in my pocket connected via usb is a pain when being active.
3. Get a dedicated DAP and or DAC. I really would prefer 1 object in my pocket for ease of use. I'd really like to have access to Spotify and Tidal, and I'd like something that feels modern and responsive (not like the X5).

With all being said I'd prefer option 3 for the above reasons but interested to know your thoughts. Obviously, if I was to spend £250-£300 on a DAP/DAC I'd like to know it's at least as good as the DAC found in the G7

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 3
I'd fix the G7 and use HiBy's music app. Getting the FiiO BTR5 is also an easy fix for when you need something purely for activities. I pretty much only use the BTR5 when I'm at the gym because its so lightweight and works very well.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Yep, the BTR5 is a great option at this price point. It’s what I started with before moving to a pricey DAP. I’ve got one for sale if you happen to be based in Australia

Another option (although it involves more cords) is Lotoo’s S1. Out of the two, this would be my preference based on how much I love the Lotoo sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back