5$ earphones vs 100$...
Oct 11, 2008 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

athompie

New Head-Fier
I'm a total noob with this stuff. But here it goes:

I got the RE2 head direct headphones. I also bought a 5 dollar COBY headphones. The RE2's are so much clearer sounding but the COBY seem to have a better bass. Also, the COBY are louder and fit better.

Should i just wait for the RE2's to open up or something? They are good but not like... as good as i thought they would be.

Also... can someone tell me about the different ear pieces? There is a white one, clear one, and black one. The white are really soft, the black are the hardest, and the clear one is kinda like the white ones. They all have 2-3 sizes.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, the RE2's have little bass. Also quantity does not equal quality as you know and often people confuse the amount of bass with the quality of it.

The default large bi-flanges should fit your ear the best.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 17
RE2's are known to be light on bass, which is one of the reasons why it synergises well with the Fiio E3 amp. If you want more bass, I recommend throwing in another $10 for the amp.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 17
I vote for an amp too as well. If you really want that extra kick for the bass, get a quality amp with bass boost. Personally, I feel that to my ears (and maybe yours as well) bass boost from the amp sounds better than equalizing from the DAP (if you are using a DAP). The majority of the EQ settings on most DAPs are a bit wonky if you ask me.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 17
Well volume doesn't indicate a better headphone for one thing. Listen to the two headphones at the same level and try to analyse in detail.

But yeah, i agree that the RE2 isn't known for bass quantities. That said i'm pretty sure that the cheaper headphones probably has large quantities of sloppy bass.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 17
Is this better bass like when my roommate listened to my Skull Candy Ink'd compared to the RE2 and said he liked the SK because they had more bass?

Or better bass like street bangers that have 2 12" Concept subs and a "1000W amp" is so much better than my Atlas 12 off 350W?
wink.gif

Match the volume, and then listen in amazement as you hear bass frets being plucked and hitting the guitar and see which is better on the RE2!

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 17
So I'm testing the two headphones w/ the song "on the middle of the hill" - Josh Pyke. It has subtle back up vocals, acoustic strumming, light percussion so it was a good testing song. Also it is a good song in general. Neways... i can def. tell how muddy sounding the 5 dollar ones are. I also have a 20 dollar pair. Hmm... i think i'll just plug the headphones on overnight. Liiikeee... it's clear and it sounds good forsure but... it has this monotone flattish sound too. Would that get better overtime? I don't know how to describe. As a singer... i would describe it as if i were singing while holding my nose.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 17
oh ya, and tell me about this amp too. I don't know much about this headphone stuff and stuff. If it is 10 dollars i'm interested. I usually listen to my headphones on my zune or at the comp lab at school listening to pandora.com.

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 17
If you are interested in getting a FiiO E3, they can be had for less than $10 on DealExtreme.com, but the shipping can be a bit slow.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 17
uh if your music is in crappy bitrate which I'm assuming pandora.com has, the difference between your earphones/iems will be much less than they would with higher quality rips.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh if your music is in crappy bitrate which I'm assuming pandora.com has, the difference between your earphones/iems will be much less than they would with higher quality rips.

For sure if you are using 128 mp3.
tongue_smile.gif

Trie at least 256kb/s Mp3 or a loosless codec
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 17
It obviously depends upon the person - but i find that with my moderately priced gear, theres a big jump in quality from 128kbps mp3s to 192 kbps mp3s, but from there onwards increases in bitrate yeild signifcantly less improvement.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by athompie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh ya, and tell me about this amp too. I don't know much about this headphone stuff and stuff. If it is 10 dollars i'm interested. I usually listen to my headphones on my zune or at the comp lab at school listening to pandora.com.

The FiiO is actually 8 dollar inc shipping on DealExtreme

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 17
my bitrate for a lot of my music is about 160 so that isn't bad. I'm also listening to a song w/ 320 kps; sounds good. Not all my music is that high of quality but... i'm not rich if you know what i mean. Also, i'm listening to my stuff off a 30g zune. Yesterday i tried using them on my nintendo DS. Sounds really really good for that.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 17
mmaannn.... maybe i'll just return it and get something different. : /
If anyone lives in the seattle area... maybe we can trade, or i can sell it. It's really new and everyone else seems to like it. I almost prefer my 20 dollar IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back