5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Nov 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #47 of 633
Yea, I have it in that order. However, compared to no before, I need to set the Dolby Headphone amplification at ~120% to get the same volume.

Another separate thing- does anyone experience distortion? I only hear it in certain parts of some songs, and then other songs are fine.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #48 of 633
About the volume. I should clarify a statement I made earlier. With my Grados it seemed like I experienced an increase in volume, but more likely what I was experiencing was better detail rather than actual volume. With my darker sounding Senns I do perceive what seems like a decrease in volume, but it seems to be related to separation in channels. eccdbb, you mention something about "DH amplification". Is that an actual setting in the DH component? I'm typing on my Macbook so I can't see it now. I'll have to check it out.

Edit: Nevermind eccdbb, I see what you're talking about now.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #49 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THX Trailers - Demo World

Lots of trailers here with 5.1 audio. You can demux the audio from the .vob using dgindex and listen to the ac3/dts with foobar2000. You can watch the .vob themselves but you need to setup your media player to use Dolby Headphone.

Don't happen to have an illustrated guide for that do you
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #50 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by eccdbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I have it in that order. However, compared to no before, I need to set the Dolby Headphone amplification at ~120% to get the same volume.

Another separate thing- does anyone experience distortion? I only hear it in certain parts of some songs, and then other songs are fine.

120% is unnatural, +DB will always create distortion... turn it up from the source.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #51 of 633
Using mmg.exe (mkv merging tool) also works. Just drag the vob in, check only the audio track, and save as *.ac3

100% seems to solve the problem. Thank you. For others/reference, 200% sounds like dumping sand in the music.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #53 of 633
This is the single best thing to happen to me other than buying my HD-650's. LOL And it's free to boot.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #54 of 633
Let's talk about how applicable this method is. I find that for synthesized music like hardcore and trance, the sound becomes farther and less detailed/charaterized. It also can have too much of a echo at times, and sometimes sounds EQ'd. Perhaps this is because the music has been created to suit headphones better so further processing is overdoing it? or maybe the immediacy is lost? Sometimes, the method makes the sound stuffy and clogged. Maybe squeezed? I feel that most types of sounds loose their character and get changed.

Some tracks sound bad with this method, some sound better, and then there are the neutrals. The better sounding ones sound like you're in a room.

Vocal/acoustic- I think this method helps a lot. However, the singer's voice can loose thickness. Cymbals loose their lower end and tend to sound tinny. Diana Krall - Let It Snow sounds really nice with this. Sounds like you're listening from a seat in the audience rather than in the middle of the stage. Seems like jazz and orchestral stuff like this method a lot too.

In general, I think this method is picky on application. It improves the presentation of some tracks, but can mess others.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #55 of 633
I agree that some tracks don't work well with this setting, but the overall presentation is great. Kudos to your efforts!
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, my Foobar is outdated and it won't accept the latest ASIO plugin. Any chance you guys have an older version? Updating mine would be a pain, as the interface I like only uses the older versions of Foobar.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #56 of 633
Couple things to point out...

Before I posted this setup I had it setup in foobar for a few days while I played with the settings and listened to different genres of music. The simply act of listening to this straight for a couple days and then switching it off makes you realize how seemingly flat music is without, and you question yourself; I used to listen to music flat like this all the time?

Second; bad recordings will sound worse, the channel is divided and the clipping will become more noticeable. I have found electronic music in general improves tenfold, with recordings like Kraftwerk remastered blowing me away, almost as if it were made for this. Whereas some recordings, perhaps pre-EQ'd can sound stretched and distort in some areas, however this can easily be explained after looking at the peakmeter spectrum and seeing a peak max of 0.01 dB and higher.

If you want to use this on a regular bases you'll have to get rid of your MP3s and go lossless.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #57 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple things to point out...

Before I posted this setup I had it setup in foobar for a few days while I played with the settings and listened to different genres of music. The simply act of listening to this straight for a couple days and then switching it off makes you realize how seemingly flat music is without, and you question yourself; I used to listen to music flat like this all the time?

Second; bad recordings will sound worse, the channel is divided and the clipping will become more noticeable. I have found electronic music in general improves tenfold, with recordings like Kraftwerk remastered blowing me away, almost as if it were made for this. Whereas some recordings, perhaps pre-EQ'd can sound stretched and distort in some areas, however this can easily be explained after looking at the peakmeter spectrum and seeing a peak max of 0.01 dB and higher.

If you want to use this on a regular bases you'll have to get rid of your MP3s and go lossless.

Yep, sounds very similar to my own experience so far. Poorly recorded or ripped albums really stand out with this turned on... more so than before that is. Electronic music sounds great though. Course that may be due to artist/styles of electronic music I'm listening to. I'm going to have to grab those Krafwerk remastered albums!

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #58 of 633
How does a peak meter work?
According to wikipedia, "As a rule, recording levels should be set so that they do not exceed the red area beyond 0 VU or only rarely. If set too high, the sound quality and frequency response is typically poorer at high recording levels, and clipping effects can be especially severe for a digital recording system. If the level is set too low, noise levels will be high relative the the main sound being recorded." This is for a VU meter. What's the difference between a VU meter and peak meter?

When the two small blocks on the right of the peak meter appear, what does it signify? It seems that lowering the DH amp to ~70% prevents the little blocks from appearing for most tracks.

Putting Advanced Limiter under DH as a DSP also prevents the blocks from appearing. What is it doing? From Techspot: "This DSP uses read-ahead on the source and scales down the audio signal when it detects clipping will occur resulting in minimal, if any, distortion during playback." Does this mean the volume is being affected? Like dynamics being squished?

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #59 of 633
Wow, this is really cool! It works very nicely. Just yesterday I tried another method/program that used the Dolby Headhone dlls but it didn't work nearly as good as this; this is great. Thanks a lot for this.

I found that with the settings you suggested the Center channel was too loud on my headphones and was kind of drowning out all the other channels, so I turned Center down to 0.65.

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #60 of 633
Thanks for the guide, it works great
smily_headphones1.gif

Got a few questions though..

x-fi extreme music - Audio Creation Mode
Monster Beats Studio Headphones

On my x-fi does it matter if i have my speaker selection on 5.1 or Headphones?

Also when im using KS in foobar my x-fi says its only using FL/FR channels, when im using ASIO it says its using FL/FR/RL/RR only.. Is this correct? or am i doing something wrong? Should my Front C/Sub channel work with ASIO?

Thanks..
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back