5.1 Headphone experience *Foobar configuration for all stereo music files*
Dec 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #77 of 633
Are you equalizing?

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #79 of 633
Get a more powerful amp perhaps? lol

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #80 of 633
Its not that
tongue.gif

Channel mixer doesn't properly normalize the audio so it causes some distortion.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #82 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Following the first post there is clipping, maybe 1.5-2db...very annoying. I'm trying to tweak it so it won't clip.

Quote:

No equalizer. I can see in peak meter and I can hear clipping but its very faint.

You are likely hearing the defects of the recording for the first time. This setup is extremely resolving, which means deleting all your MP3s in favor of lossless. Furthermore you'll find out which of your favorite artists record at +DB, which has been discussed to death and growled upon by every audiophile, commonly stating "They don't record them like they used to."

Take a look at my Peakmeter Spectrum for the newly remastered Kraftwerk album, sonically beautiful but the whitecaps show +DB which will always distort.

plusdb.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool effect, but why didn't you like the default settings?

USG

The default setting has the rear speakers emitting sound for the front and vice-versa, with the settings on the front page only the music meant for the rear comes out the rear...

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #83 of 633
The default setting has the rear speakers emitting sound for the front and vice-versa, with the settings on the front page only the music meant for the rear comes out the rear...[/QUOTE]

But don't you loose some of the "effect" by turning off the front/rear "crossfeed"?

USG

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #84 of 633
Quote:

But don't you loose some of the "effect" by turning off the front/rear "crossfeed"?

USG

Well let me expand my example from my OP. Listening to Jack Johnson's 'All At Once' on his latest album 'Sleep Through The Static' with my settings Jacks voice will only emit from the front speakers (L, C, R) and the backing music, drums and so on the rear (RL, RR). With default settings Jacks voice will emit from all speakers locations giving no directional presence, mixing vocals with drums and spoiling the subtle effect.

Play around with it, you can create and save profiles in channel mixer and simply flick between the 2. As default I now have my center channel at 1.25 while others have felt the need to drop it back to 0.75, whatever works best for you.

For all those trying it out for the first time, leave it on for a day, become accustomed to it, and then turn it off... the difference is shocking.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #85 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well let me expand my example from my OP. Listening to Jack Johnson's 'All At Once' on his latest album 'Sleep Through The Static' with my settings Jacks voice will only emit from the front speakers (L, C, R) and the backing music, drums and so on the rear (RL, RR). With default settings Jacks voice will emit from all speakers locations giving no directional presence, mixing vocals with drums and spoiling the subtle effect.

Play around with it, you can create and save profiles in channel mixer and simply flick between the 2. As default I now have my center channel at 1.25 while others have felt the need to drop it back to 0.75, whatever works best for you.

For all those trying it out for the first time, leave it on for a day, become accustomed to it, and then turn it off... the difference is shocking.

I don't have anything by Jack Johnson, do you have any other "references" I could try out?

I have stuff from Lucinda, Goldfrap, Rilo Kiley, Zooey, M. ward, Jenny Lewis(by herself), Neko Case, 2 raumwohnung and a lot of others including oldies......
beyersmile.png

USG

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #86 of 633
Quote:

You are likely hearing the defects of the recording for the first time. This setup is extremely resolving, which means deleting all your MP3s in favor of lossless. Furthermore you'll find out which of your favorite artists record at +DB, which has been discussed to death and growled upon by every audiophile, commonly stating "They don't record them like they used to."

Take a look at my Peakmeter Spectrum for the newly remastered Kraftwerk album, sonically beautiful but the whitecaps show +DB which will always distort.

plusdb.jpg

The default setting has the rear speakers emitting sound for the front and vice-versa, with the settings on the front page only the music meant for the rear comes out the rear...

Exactly. The loudness war. I have to replaygain everything so my ears don't disintegrate from the volume.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #87 of 633
Quote:

I don't have anything by Jack Johnson, do you have any other "references" I could try out?

I have stuff from Lucinda, Goldfrap, Rilo Kiley, Zooey, M. ward, Jenny Lewis(by herself), Neko Case, 2 raumwohnung and a lot of others including oldies......
beyersmile.png

USG

If by Goldfrapp you are referring to Alison Goldfrapp of the British electronic music group take a listen to Black Cherry on the 2003 Album Black Cherry with the front speakers turned off (with my OP settings) as following:

channel_mixer_rear.jpg

Let me know what you hear...
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #88 of 633
Quote:

Using the settings on the first post
85864183.jpg

Its about +3db(music is about +1db hot)...Lowering the center and rear volume slider fixes the issue. Its obviously Channel mixer not properly normalizing audio. If your music is below 0db or use replaygain you might never hear the clipping.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #89 of 633
Replay gain is a good way to reduce clipping in most cases.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #90 of 633
Quote:

Using the settings on the first post
85864183.jpg

Its about +3db(music is about +1db hot)...Lowering the center and rear volume slider fixes the issue. Its obviously Channel mixer not properly normalizing audio. If your music is below 0db or use replaygain you might never hear the clipping.

Anything +0.1db or above will distort with or without channel mixer, the question is if you are not hearing the clipping previously what else are you missing in the recording?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back