5.1 Computer Speakers?
Apr 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol they're not free included with the drivers so not valid.

yeah, it is valid, the functionality exists, is easily attained, and works quite well (it also, as I've said a few times, comes included with the X-Fi Prelude)

you wanna tell me that mr big bad iriverdude with the big bad multi-thousand pound Lexicon system that makes you the king ruler of head-fi cannot afford $4.72 US? more like mr pain in the ass can't accept that he was quite simply wrong

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #48 of 59
The features exist for the Creative cards. Many pay the $5 others use hacks. The newest Titanium has the features nativley in the drivers. What is the big deal with paying $5 if you want the feature though? -Dolby and DTS require license fees.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #49 of 59
because if he didn't cry about it costing $5 he couldn't "win" the thread, and even though he'll spam that Creative is garbage, he still apparently uses nothing but Creative (as he will talk at length about his X-Fi)
wink.gif

ontopic:
another card that includes DDL "free" is the Prelude (you're still paying for it in the purchase price of the card), between that and the Ti, what else do you really need? if you can fork over the $300 for the EP, $4.72 isn't gonna kill you, and most of the lesser Creative boards are cheap enough that the extra $4.72 isn't a big deal

the Forte probably includes it as well, but I'm not 100% on this (I would guess yes, as I don't think Auzen has released a product in years that isn't DDL capable)

one point in the economics POV, I bought an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum in late 2003 for around $175, with this latest upgrade (afaik this software has only been available since march of this year, based on that driver update showing the DDL patch as a new feature),that would bring the total price to $180, over ~5 years, and the hp amp is good, the source quality is good, runs up through EAX 4, supports Vista, and even has a remote, thats pretty good over ~5 years if you ask me

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm running off a laptop, don't have any PCI slots for a PCI soundcard, thats why I'm using the X-Fi Surround. My options are quite limited as a laptop user.

With more receivers and dacs/amps(Nuforce icon etc) using usb, you have more options. Honestly, I would build a desktop rig eventually. Just much cheaper to get high performance that way.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 59
what receivers use USB, aside from that Outlaw? and why is 16/44.1 stereo apparently an acceptable limitation, when 5.1 24/48 or 24/96 is easily possible, sometimes for less dollars, even when the OP is asking for multi-ch for gaming and movies?

I would honestly leave the X-Fi as it is, and focus on the stage AFTER it in this situation (you've got digital out, aye?)

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #53 of 59
I got a huge Boston Acoustics receiver for $450 coming in with usb input. Not that I am planning on using it over a coax digital connection but yeah.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a huge Boston Acoustics receiver for $450 coming in with usb input. Not that I am planning on using it over a coax digital connection but yeah.

is it multich over USB or stereo?

and thats #2 to the list of receivers I've seen with USB, and would be #1 if it supported anything over 16/44.1 stereo

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would honestly leave the X-Fi as it is, and focus on the stage AFTER it in this situation (you've got digital out, aye?)

Aye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I would build a desktop rig eventually. Just much cheaper to get high performance that way.

Plan to, but for now...

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #56 of 59
well with digital out we're back to ~page 2 (before we got a wonderful fire going over features that are supported (but apparently aren't "valid")), go with a receiver that will take digital in, and pick speakers that sound alright to you (note the: "to you" part)

now, Creative's package for DDL seems ambiguous, it says "X-Fi", but also lists various boards, and the primary stipluation seems to be digital output, so I'm thinking yours should be supported, *shrug* (and worst case scenario, you get stereo music as stereo music, and multi-ch movies/etc as multi-ch movies/etc, via passthrough, and get stereo for games, or just ignore that entire can of digital worms, and plug in analog cables (
wink.gif
)

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #58 of 59
Dude, the 780 Alo cans I have do a better job of direction, distance based on loudness of the sound aka detail and delicate response of drivers than any closed headphone or maybe ANY headphone I have yet had. This is just with an X-FI analogue out w/ 3D and Crystalizer at 50%, Head Direct EF-1 modded and a Blue Dragon 1/8th to rca.

Space recommends headphones over speakers in this case. If you want some sound for background, get some little Swans and this input switcher:

TCC TC-716 Details and Hookup

I have one if they don't ship to you. I do not detect any difference in sound when using mine vs straight from the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back