5.1 Computer Speakers?
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Kpalsm

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a good set of 5.1 computer speakers that will handle music as well as it handles movies and games. Optical input would be great, as would some sort of Dolby Prologic II, but aren't necessary. I had decided on Logitech Z-5500s for a while but if they're not very good for music due to the boomy sub I don't want them. I'll get em though if there's not really anything else. I currently use X-540s. Any other suggestions for under $400? It's for a small room so I don't have the space for a component system, otherwise I would spend the extra money and do that. Thanks for any suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 59
The answer is no. You need to look to the local classifieds and try and get space for at least a 2.1 component. If you can find a Panasonic XR-57, they are very slim receivers w/ excellent SQ for the $$.

Main reason is that pc speakers are tiny and as such do really bad for musical mid range. If you want musical, try and get at least a 5 1/4" driver speaker. The tiny 2-3" pc speakers use just plain stink.

Since you are Canadian, well, that just does not help. Not much to choose from unless you buy real gear used.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 59
there was a vintage toshiba (iirc) component stack in the FS section, really nice micro setup (no idea if its still available)

the Z-5500's aren't "horrible", but they're uh, well, they're a ~$300 "all in one" package, if that explains it
wink.gif

if you need compact, you might look at Klipsch's ProMedia 5.1 system, or Klipsch's Quintet or Reference Cinema speaker packages (you can get pretty ritzy with the RC's), and maybe one of those new Sony receivers (which I have zero data on, other than the specs from Sony, and based on that, VERY nice for the cash)

another route might be tracking down Monsoon's 5.1 PC speaker setup (will probably take a foxing party to find a set, and you might pay a king's ransom for them), they were decently balanced and good performers in the day, especially for the ~$190 SRP

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 59
I would suggest avoiding the Z-5500's They are not bad for the price but you can jut as easily go and buy a HT system and have better sound and easier upgrade options.

For examples, for the same price as the Z-5500 you can get a recevier and speaker system a "Home Theater in a box" from Onkyo. This would be a better way to go as it allows you to add a better Sats and sub later on.

I suggest going the route of receiver and speaker...Amp and speakes etc...

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 59
I've read the Z-5500s are leagues better than HTIB systems of equal price, and a lot of people seem to like them a lot (just go on newegg, there's barely a negative review on them). I really have no idea where I would put a separate receiver, but I guess I'll have a look anyways. Any more suggestions? I was originally going to save up and buy buy an Onkyo TX-SR706 and some Axiom bookshelf speakers/centre channel and an SVS sub, but my room doesn't have the space for it

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 59
My 400$ pure digitheatre Platinums often sound better then my 500$ headphones
wink.gif
Don´t know if they are sold any longer though but they are home theater speakers not really computer speakers. However mid range is where the headphones shine. So no separate rear inputs you need dolby encoding to get true 5.1 surround unless for consoles that already have dolby digital of course. It does actually have DTS too
smily_headphones1.gif
. As for the sub it´s not one that goes for volume rather extension and accuracy. Works well with my small room anyway no reason to boost and it doesn´t drown the music either.

I would certainly look more for home theater then PC speaker systems. Much more options though there is a problem finding speakers small enough if you are cramped like me.

This is old so there is bound to be better but maybe you can find them dirt cheap at ebay. I have been looking into new speakers but it´s such a jungle... And you can´t do like headphones just ship them if you don´t like it as easilly
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 59
My computer's sound card is an X-Fi Surround USB. It does have optical output as well as analog 5.1, and I think it has Dolby passthrough via the optical (scroll down to the note about toslink). Can't find any Digitheatre Platinums but I did read a few shining reviews on them. Living in Canada does indeed pose another problem; Amazon.com doesn't ship most things to Canada and Amazon.ca has a very poor selection in comparison. Even if I do happen to find a place that'll ship to Canada chances are I'll be paying a premium for shipping, not to mention the currency conversion

EDIT: Looking at 2.1 computer systems, anyone ever tried the Razer Mako? I have a Razer DeathAdder mouse and it's a great mouse with high DPI, as well as looking pretty damned cool. Wonder if the same translates to their speakers as far as performance goes.. I don't like the fact that it's only 2.1 and can't be upgraded, I like expandability. Heck, if I wanted to, I could replace the tinny little satellites of my X-540 with better bookshelf speakers

Also I've already checked out the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 system, it's no longer made and even then people have reported problems with the amp easily overheating and blowing

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read the Z-5500s are leagues better than HTIB systems of equal price, and a lot of people seem to like them a lot (just go on newegg, there's barely a negative review on them). I really have no idea where I would put a separate receiver, but I guess I'll have a look anyways. Any more suggestions? I was originally going to save up and buy buy an Onkyo TX-SR706 and some Axiom bookshelf speakers/centre channel and an SVS sub, but my room doesn't have the space for it

I doubt that as you can get a fairly decent "HTiB" from Onkyo with recevier, speakers and subwoofer for around the same price. From what I hear provide much better sound quality then what the Z's can produce.

Hey, buy what you want. If you want to talk yourself into buying the Z-5500's go ahead. I
suggested that if your investing in a higher priced "PC" speaker system it would be better to go with a Receivers/speaker/sub system. THere are many ways to go about that, not just with the entry level Onkyo system, I mentioned that one as it is about the same price or a little less. Although it would be Re-furbed and looking at your location you cannot order their gear for the same price.
The point being, avoid the PC speakers if you can. If you really want to go that route or it is a size and placement issue then get the Z's...

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, buy what you want. If you want to talk yourself into buying the Z-5500's go ahead.

I'm not tryin to talk myself into buying the Z-5500s, I'm just trying to get more clarification, as generally they have been reviewed very positively. I would buy a HTIB system or a component system if I readily had the space, but I don't. That's why I'm looking at computer speakers, because everything is usually built into the sub, but if there isn't a good readily available alternative in that category I'll bite the bullet and find the space for a receiver. Usually I recommend against HTIB setups because they're usually of poor quality compared to component systems, but I have to do the best I can in the space I have. My room is also a strange shape which kind of makes wall-mounting the rear surround speakers in a good spot a pain, but once I buy a HDTV I can change my orientation.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 59
Honestly, no 5.1 package under $400 is very musical. For games and movies, the 5500 will do ok.

I have heard klipsch logitech htib etc and prefer to spend the $$ on 2.1 or headphones of better quality.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 59
Alright, say I expand my budget to around $1000. I'm having a look at the Onkyo HT-S7100 HTIB system and I like the looks of it. I don't need 7.1, but it comes with Onkyo's TX-SR606 receiver which is one model lower than the receiver I planned to buy, which I can live with, and also means I can always buy better speakers, etc later on once I have the money. Anything else I should look at in this price range?

I should also note that my computer has an HDMI output (which does include sound thanks to ATI) and that's how I planned to connect my HDTV when I buy it; I could connect my laptop to the S7100 and pass-through the video to my HDTV too, which would be great.

Sorry for all the Onkyo, I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I could do worse
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 59
Onkyo receiver = good choice
Onkyo speakers = not a good idea

Again, the Canada thing kind of limits you. I'll show you a few places you can buy quality used gear over there. Just have to recall what they are lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back