4th Annual St. Louis Spring Meet (June 9, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #121 of 138
Jun 10, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #122 of 138
I think the front power button is not functioning. I think it is an easy fix but I was already late to the meet due to weather and did not have time to fix it.. I had the same issue with a different amp before. That usually thin wiring that runs from iec inlet the back to the front of the amp to the push button likes to come loose. My mjolnir kgsshv though never had an issue.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #123 of 138
Thanks to Jude and the rest of the JDS Labs crew for hosting a great meet!

Thanks to anti matter for bringing back great memories with the Sansui C-2301. My first real piece of Hi-Fi equipment was a Sansui 5000a receiver. I bought it from a guy who bought it in a PX in Vietnam. Sansui made great stuff.

Thanks to everybody who complimented me on my equipment. Glad to share.

I got to cross off a few things on my to-do list. Number one was the Stax SR-009. Sounded really good even though it probably was properly amped. Thanks to Brent for bringing his Stax energizer so the 009 could be heard. Same thanks for bringing the Abyss. I thought it was on a level with my LCD4. Perhaps maybe one notch higher because I thought the high end on the Abyss might have been just a little bit better. Unfortunately the way I listen (in bed) would preclude me from ever actually buying these(positional issues).

The highlight of the meet was getting to see Zach and Bevin again. Finest kind of people. This was my first chance to hear the Auteur and it is first class. I was able to audition both Teak and Blackwood versions with various cable and earpad combinations. I do believe I heard a distinct difference in the two woods with the Blackwood having a bit more weight and impact. With my silver cable the Blackwoods with stock pads were a bit on the bright side. With the Eikon perforated pads they were close to perfect. I want to thank Zach for taking so much time to help me out. I will own these someday once I get past the impending auto purchase.

Outside of the weather (fortunately I got there before it cut loose and was done by the time I packed up to leave) an almost perfect day. Looking forward to the next one!

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #124 of 138
It was lovely meeting everybody. Thanks for sharing your gear for the afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing it. Indeed, I got to listen to many things I've wanted to try for so long now.

I was so caught up in the listening of things, I didn't take many photos. But here are a few I did manage to capture.

Pinkys Table 01.jpg
Pinkys IEMs 01.jpg
Utopia 01.jpg
ZMF Table 01.jpg
ZMF Table 02.jpg
ZMF Table 03.jpg
ZMF Table 04.jpg

And I'm currently listening to Pink Floyd's Division Bells on this gorgeous ash-wrought Atticus. Such excellent phones!

Atticus Ash 01.jpg

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #125 of 138
Would like to thank the powers to be for putting on this event. I'm new to the headphone game so this was just right for a guy like me to listen to some great headphones. One thing I came away with from this meet is I'm going to need a second job.

Where to start the Stax SR-009 were ridiculous thanks for bringing them. And I would like to thank the gentleman who's table I probably spent to much time at but I couldn't get enough of those
Focal Utopia's and Audeze's. So I would like to thank him( I was so in to it I didn't get his name) that was rude on my part. And all I meet I would like to say thanks.

Side note go to a meet like this before you buy headphones and bring your amp to listen to headphones on your rig.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #127 of 138
Thanks again to Jude and everyone else at JDS Labs for hosting this. This was my first time attending and I had a great time.

I won't soon forget the sound of those Stax SR-009 out of that crazy Sony CDP. But the real highlight was meeting other audio geeks and talking audio geek stuff...something that's always better in person than on the internets.

Cheers!

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #128 of 138
Would like to thank the powers to be for putting on this event. I'm new to the headphone game so this was just right for a guy like me to listen to some great headphones. One thing I came away with from this meet is I'm going to need a second job.

Where to start the Stax SR-009 were ridiculous thanks for bringing them. And I would like to thank the gentleman who's table I probably spent to much time at but I couldn't get enough of those
Focal Utopia's and Audeze's. So I would like to thank him( I was so in to it I didn't get his name) that was rude on my part. And all I meet I would like to say thanks.

Side note go to a meet like this before you buy headphones and bring your amp to listen to headphones on your rig.
Hey Mike that would be me, lol. The Utopia's was by far your favorites cans. Glad you enjoyed yourself and welcome to Head-Fi!

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #129 of 138
To those considering Stax purchases: I’ve owned several Stax amps including an srm 1 mk 2 pro but the mjolnir audio equipment really takes it to another level. I bought a KGSSHV mini from @spritzer and it was a COMPLETE game changer. Since then I got an unbalanced dynalo and a purebipolar for my dynamics. I’ve never heard the sort of improvement in a headphone that occurred when I switched my 007A to my (then) new KGSSHV mini. It opened up depths that just weren’t there before. I’ve learned not to judge because who knew how deep the improvement could be?!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #130 of 138
To those considering Stax purchases: I’ve owned several Stax amps including an srm 1 mk 2 pro but the mjolnir audio equipment really takes it to another level. I bought a KGSSHV mini from @spritzer and it was a COMPLETE game changer. Since then I got an unbalanced dynalo and a purebilolar for my dynamics. I’ve never heard the sort of improvement in a headphone that occurred when I switched my 007A to my (then) new KGSSHV mini. It opened up depths that just weren’t there before. I’ve learned not to judge because who knew how deep the improvement could be?!
@antimatter thoughts on the octave?

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #132 of 138
I'm making my way down the Stax rabbit hole and currently have the L300LE/353XBK 80th anniversary set. The new 009S is on preorder. My end game is a Spritzer amp. Have you had the chance to listen to a Carbon? Trying to determine how much of a difference there is between it and your KGSSHV mini. From all I have read the Carbon is supposed to be the end all be all for solid state. I wonder by how much over the other Spritzer amps?

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #133 of 138
I'm making my way down the Stax rabbit hole and currently have the L300LE/353XBK 80th anniversary set. The new 009S is on preorder. My end game is a Spritzer amp. Have you had the chance to listen to a Carbon? Trying to determine how much of a difference there is between it and your KGSSHV mini. From all I have read the Carbon is supposed to be the end all be all for solid state. I wonder by how much over the other Spritzer amps?
I wish that I could hear the Carbon. I bet it’s amazing. Spritzer doesn’t exaggerate in my experience if anything he underplays how good his stuff is. He also just built a blue Hawaii that’s on his site. I would go with the Carbon if I could though. Excited to hear about the 009s. I can tell you that I’ve always been super impressed with my KGSSHV and while the Carbon is surely better the KGSSHV will drive any Stax headphone with beautiful ease.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #134 of 138
@antimatter thoughts on the octave?

It sounds really nice but yeah I have only had it a few weeks and the power button stopped working. I can def. see why people call them bread boy's ugly cakes.

I would take Mjolnir over any Stax amps but I would buy something from Headamp, Schiit, ECP, Apex or JDS LABS in a heart beat. I'm hoping one of them makes something in the $1k range.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #135 of 138
It sounds really nice but yeah I have only had it a few weeks and the power button stopped working. I can def. see why people call them bread boy's ugly cakes.

I would take Mjolnir over any Stax amps but I would buy something from Headamp, Schiit, ECP, Apex or JDS LABS in a heart beat. I'm hoping one of them makes something in the $1k range.
Check the crimping on the lugs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back