4th Annual St. Louis Spring Meet (June 9, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #106 of 138
Last thoughts. I just remembered I bought a set of older Stax SR-5's with SRD-5 energizer. In February. They were $100 shipped, so it was a no-brainer.

I never lit them up, just put them on a shelf, but I did tonight, and they work great.

So, I'll bring those along with an Adcom GFA-2535 amplifier to drive them. And a precision screwdriver to adjust the volume :D

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #107 of 138
Heh, well, my day job typically involves audio engineering duties at Powell Hall for the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra.
I'm the assistant to their recording engineer of 25 years, who runs The Pan Galactic Company. I also do a lot of archive restoration work using my fleet of vintage analog and digital tape machines.,
Well, I must say, that sounds like fascinating and rewarding work, David.
Have a great meet, y'all. Take care of Chuck...that WA5 is a lot of amplifier to tote around!

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #108 of 138
Sorry for the last minute notice but I’ll be stopping by as well. I’ve been out of the headphone game for a while now and have sold most of my stuff so I don’t really need a place to setup. I’ll bring my MacBook w/Jriver, Meridian explorer and Denon 1001 headphones in case there is still room or if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #109 of 138
Just got back home. Sorry my Octave v2 crapped out. Thank you to those who brought out the Z1r, Hilo, and Sigma's. You let me cross some stuff off my bucket list...

...I do have one tiny complaint. Someone disconnected my C-2301 from my dsha2 and ran the cd player strait into the dsha2. If you listened to the dsha2 today chances are good that it was without the C-2301 involved. I'm not upset that someone did that, I just wish they had reconnected back. That was an awfully large and heavy piece of kit for me to lug to just sit there unused.

Jun 9, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #110 of 138
Just got back home. Sorry my Octave v2 crapped out. Thank you to those who brought out the Z1r, Hilo, and Sigma's. You let me cross some stuff off my bucket list...

...I do have one tiny complaint. Someone disconnected my C-2301 from my dsha2 and ran the cd player strait into the dsha2. If you listened to the dsha2 today chances are good that it was without the C-2301 involved. I'm not upset that someone did that, I just wish they had reconnected back. That was an awfully large and heavy piece of kit for me to lug to just sit there unused.
I'm just getting back home myself. It was a great meet and I got to cross some stuff off my "bucket list" as well. Sorry that someone disconnected your Sansui. That is a glorious piece of vintage gear.

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #111 of 138
Thanks @theotherjude for hosting this meet. I had a great time. I have plans on making the JDS Element my nightstand listening device. Thanks @zach915m for bringing out the Auteurs, Eikons, and Atticus. That was my first time getting to hear your products and I was not disappointed. I have my eyes set on the Eikons! I'm not sure what wood that was on the set you let me listen too but they sounded fabulous. @buke9 and @PinkyPowers it was great meeting you guys. The Abyss and Tia Fourtes were a joy to listen too. The Tia Fourte's detail retrieval rival some of the best headphones out there. They are so transparent with just the right amount of bass. They were really incredible sounding and I can see how source matching is a must. The Abyss was just a whole new listening experience. I have some nice gear but the Abyss were on another level and are just a must have!

@vinekly the SR009's were worth the wait. Thanks for bringing them out. I've never heard such transparency in my whole life. I'm so jealous! Thanks to everyone who came out today and making my first ever meet a memorable one.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #112 of 138
Thanks @theotherjude for hosting this meet. I had a great time. I have plans on making the JDS Element my nightstand listening device. Thanks @zach915m for bringing out the Auteurs, Eikons, and Atticus. That was my first time getting to hear your products and I was not disappointed. I have my eyes set on the Eikons! @buke9 and @PinkyPowers it was great meeting you guys. The Abyss and Tia Fourtes were a joy to listen too. The Tia Fourte's detail retrieval rival some of the best headphones out there. They are so transparent with just the right amount of bass. They were really incredible sounding and I can see how source matching is a must. The Abyss was just a whole new listening experience. I have some nice gear but the Abyss were on another level and are just a must have!

@vinekly the SR009's were worth the wait. Thanks for bringing them out. I've never heard such transparency in my whole life. I'm so jealous! Thanks to everyone who came out today and making my first ever meet a memorable one.
Thanks! That was really fun! So much cool gear. I really enjoyed your HE1000s those were smooth!

@zach915m Im really loving the Auteurs! They’re great across all genres. I liked your promo video! Cool to see them being made!

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #113 of 138

Thanks for bringing the killer rig!

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #114 of 138
Thanks for coming, everyone! And thank you to Jude and JDS Labs for hosting!

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #115 of 138
I'm just getting back home myself. It was a great meet and I got to cross some stuff off my "bucket list" as well. Sorry that someone disconnected your Sansui. That is a glorious piece of vintage gear.

Thanks for bringing the killer rig!

Hey thanks. It is all good with the disconnect. Things happen and the C-2301 is quite the looker. Just letting other enthusiasts see it in the flesh was pretty cool. The scary part is she sounds better than she looks and I think people heard that with the various Stax's we had which was also pretty cool.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #116 of 138
Had a great time. Thanks to our wonderful hosts at JDS Labs, and to Jude for the tour.

Zach, that Auteur is something else, and this Atticus is outstanding, even out of my Opus#2.

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #117 of 138
Just got back to the Bluegrass and what a good meet thanks to Jude and JDS Labs for putting it on. Nice to see some familiar faces and meet some new people just a good time. That CD player that James brought was crazy haven’t seen one load that way pretty cool and gained a bit more respect of my SRM-1 good source and good headphones and it doesn't get in the way at all. The 009’s are always a joy to listen to and the Sigma’s was also really good might be looking for a pair of Stax in the near future thanks to @vinekly for bringing them. I’m glad i didn’t sell you my SRM-1 as now I know it can do really well with good e-stats ; ) I always intend to listen to everything and then get talking and before you know it the meet is over and my old MacBook needed a bit more attention as it is starting to show it’s age more and more.
Thanks also to JDS for the loan of a EL DAC solid performer no complaints at all from me nice well built good sounding dac and also helping me out with cables I knew I would forget something..
I’m glad you guys liked the Abyss my pleasure to share them as I think they are a whole bunch of fun.
Count me in for next year

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #119 of 138
Any chance JDS labs would build a $1k e-stat amp? Mjolnir and Stax aren't bad but I'm pretty confident someone here in the States can do better. I think it would sell like gangbusters.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #120 of 138
Your little srm-1 was a life saver today. I really like the door on the sony cd player as well with the little cd weight.
Yes that mechanism is just crazy cool and sounds oh so good. The SRM-1 really surprised me as I have only heard it with my Koss ESP-950’s but the Stax’s we heard today are in a different league and it held up well I’m glad I brought it. Would have liked to heard the Octave as it seems more and more the older stuff starts to sound better than a lot of the newer stuff. Go to see you again .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back