4th Annual San Diego Head-Fi Meet: Saturday, November 7th, 2015
Oct 3, 2015 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

darinf

Member of the Trade: Darin Fong Audio
It's that time of the year for another San Diego Head-Fi meet in Coronado. Same location, same time, same price: FREE!!

I have confirmed a location and time for the meeting:

The meet will be from 11:00am until 4:30pm on Saturday, November 7th, 2015.

The meet will be held at the Coronado Public Library in the Winn Room: 640 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA 92118 (619) 522-7390

The library has 22 tables. Table space is allocated when you RSVP for the meet and for table space. So let me know early if you need table space and how much space you need.

There is no parking lot, but street parking shouldn't be a problem. The parking on the main street in front of the library is 2 hour parking. But all the other side streets in the neighborhood are unrestricted.

We will have access to the room for setup starting at 10:00am and we will have 1 hour to pack up and put away the tables and chairs, clean, etc. at the end. We must be completely done in the room by 5:30pm.

We are allowed to bring food and beverages (no alcohol though). I have not made any plans to provide anything yet, but last year it worked out well. We had pizza, sandwiches, sodas, fruit, snacks, sweets, etc.

I will be working on getting sponsors and update this thread.

Other than that, please post on this thread if you plan on coming and what equipment you can bring, if any.

Also, if anyone else wants to help with the organization of this event, please PM me. To be honest, last year, it was relatively easy to organize.

Subscribe to this thread and check this post for updates.

Looking forward to a decent turn out!

-Darin

Vendor/Sponsor list:

Attendee/Equipment list:

• darinf:
    Stax SR-009
    Vostok ES-31 - Electrostatic amp, dynamic amp, and DAC
    Schiit Gungnir Multibit
    Schiit Ragnarok
    Audio Zenith PMx2
    Koss ESP-950
    Fostex TR50p MK3 (definitely!)
    HiFiMan HE-400S (hopefully)
    Noble Universal IEMS: Savant, N6, N5, N4
    (maybe some additional gear. We'll see. Let me know if you have any requests.)
  • Hiyono:
    Apex Teton
    AKG K812
    Audeze LCD-3f
    Audio Technica ATH-ESW9LTD
    UE PRM

• KCWVU
    Sennheiser HD-650
    HiFiMan HE-400;  Musical Fidelity V-CAN
    Musical Fidelity V-DAC

• dominador2nd:
    Jds labs O2
    Fiio e09k
    Fiio X1
    Koss portapros
    Mr speakers mad dogs 3.2

• audiofrk (tentative)

• burnspbesq:
    Geek Out v2+ Infinity
    Cavalli Liquid Carbon (maybe)

• ohhgourami (can't make it)

• jminchoi (tentative)

• wahsmoh: Setup 1: PC, Alpha Dogs, Bifrost MB, Asgard 2, Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A DAC
    Setup 2: EAD CD-1000 Series III > Bottlehead Crack > HD60

• artemart (+2):
    HE-1000 to look for a better amp pair and maybe I will bring my stack I am not 100% sure if I want to carry that much.

• kevnin: (+1)
    Schiit Gungnir MultiBit
    Schiit Mjolnir 2
    Sennheiser HD800
    Fostex TH900

• azynneo

• Stig-san (tentative)
    Schiit Lyr 1
    Schiit Modi 2U
    Alpha Dogs
    HD 650
    NAD Viso HP50
    Fiio X5

• Doneko:
    Sennheiser HD-700
    Meridian Explorer

• XERO1:
    Prima headphone stands
    Sony MDR-100AAP headphones
    Master & Dynamic MH40

• purrin: (tentative)
    VPI Classic 1
    Eddie Current Zana Deux Super
    Franken TC-750 Phono Pre
    HD800 z28 mod
    HD650 tweaked

• OJNeg:
    Source:
    Technics SL1200 + AT440mla
    Marantz CDP + Lynx Hilo

Amp:
    Bottlehead Crack (fully pimped)
    Parasound Zamp + Stax SRD7

Headphones:
    Senn HD800 (latest mods)
    Koss ESP950

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 59
Meet Rules: (I stole these from the LA meet, so some of you should be familiar with them.)

1) Please treat others' gear with the utmost care and respect.
2) Do not unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
3) Do not turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
4) Do not move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
5) Always treat other headfiers with the utmost respect.
6) If a woman shows up - DO NOT GAWK. They are part of the human species and also deserve the utmost respect. Do not fear that this is the only one.
7) Do not bring ANY food or drinks near any equipment, including your own.
8) If you eat, please WASH YOUR DIRTY, GREASY HANDS BEFORE touching other people's equipment.
9) Do not ask the vendors too many questions. They want to have fun too and others may want to ask questions as well.
10) Always follow the rules of the host. He/She/They have been gracious enough to host a meet so he/she/they deserve the most respect and if you don't follow any of the above rules, AT LEAST follow this one.
11) No shirt, no shoes, no headphone meet.
12) Do not put screw drivers in electrical outlets, people's equipment or people's ears.
13) If it's summer - please wear deodorant.
14) If it's winter - please wear deodorant.
15) DO NOT wear hair gel or any cosmetic product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
16) Make sure your guests, if you bring any, follow the rules as well.
That said....HAVE FUN!

More information about the location:

To find the Winn Room, just go into the main entrance to the library which faces Orange Ave.

Once you go in the main doors, go to the right of the front desk. There is a door there to your left.

Go through the door and turn right until you are facing Orange Ave. again. Continue through the doors into the Winn Room.

Alternately, there is a entrance to the room from the outside. (See map below.) We can use that entrance to load gear in and for people to enter the meet.

If you have any trouble finding the room, you can try calling me on my cell: 619-PHOTOG1 (619-seven four six - eight six four one)

The library opens at 10:00am. If you want to come then to get your gear set up and help setting up the tables, that would be great!

The room is great. It has floor to ceiling windows on three sides. There are lots of power outlets around the base of all four walls. They seem to be spaced about every 6 ft. Please still bring extension cords and power strips just in case.

I would also appreciate it if some people stay later to help put everything away and clean up the kitchen and room, etc.

Here's a map detail:

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 59
Here's the time lapse from last year's meet:

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 59
Hi darinf,  

Long time now see.  I'll try to make it this year.  I'll be in town.

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 59
Looking forward to this event, I'll definitely be joining.  Although my equipment isn't cutting-edge, I'd be glad to bring so others can test'em out

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD-650
HiFiMan HE-400

Musical Fidelity V-CAN
Musical Fidelity V-DAC

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 59
Thanks for posting this in the rmaf thread :). I'm so pumped to go! This will be my first headfi meet. Few questions.
Am I allowed to bring people?
Entry fee?
Bring community qtips?

I also may not have the greatest gear but here is what I have so far (started a couple months ago)
Jds labs O2
Fiio e09
Fiio X1
Koss portapros
Mr speakers mad dogs 3.2

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 59
I'm definitely in. Not sure what I will bring, other than my Geek Out v2+ Infinity. If my Liquid Carbon shows up by then, I will definitely bring it, along with a suitable DAC.  

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 59
Hey Darin I will be there like every year. I will bring two setups.

Setup 1: PC, Alpha Dogs, Bifrost MB, Asgard 2, Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A DAC
Setup 2: EAD CD-1000 Series III (it pooped out on me a few days ago :frowning2:, I will be sending to Noble electronics crossing my fingers).. Bottlehead Crack > HD600

I will be demoing two R2R DACs. One was a budget single-ended DAC from the 90s (Theta), and the Bifrost MB is the successor to it. If my EAD can get repaired in time (or at all) I will be showcasing a 3rd R2R DAC  (2x PCM63P-k). So I think with all the interest in R2R and Yggy I hope this will be a fun listening experience for everyone

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 59
Hi everyone,
Sorry about the delay, just catching up from CanJam Denver...

I have updated the first post with people who have RSVP'd.

I have also sent out e-mails to some vendors. If anyone has any vendors they want to attend or if you know any vendors that might come, please let me know. We'll see who comes this year.

I am not too worried about vendors. The great thing about this meet is that it's generally all about Head-Fier's gear.

But please spread the word.

Thanks,
-Darin

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 59
It would be cool if Dan from me speakers came. I am looking to see hear if I should upgrade my mad dogs to pros or alphas. Also looking to hear what m mag dogs and X1 sound like with a tube or hybrid amp.

Hi everyone,
Sorry about the delay, just catching up from CanJam Denver...

I have updated the first post with people who have RSVP'd.

I have also sent out e-mails to some vendors. If anyone has any vendors they want to attend or if you know any vendors that might come, please let me know. We'll see who comes this year.

I am not too worried about vendors. The great thing about this meet is that it's generally all about Head-Fier's gear.

But please spread the word.

Thanks,
-Darin

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 59
It would be cool if Dan from me speakers came. I am looking to see hear if I should upgrade my mad dogs to pros or alphas. Also looking to hear what m mag dogs and X1 sound like with a tube or hybrid amp.

Usually Dan or someone from Mr. Speakers shows up, but I think most vendors are still getting caught up from CanJam in Denver.

But since this meet is relatively small and with all the shows they attend all the time, it's possible that it's not worth it for the vendors.

I did add Questyle to the vendor list. They should have their entire product line available especially their DAP products. I am looking forward to hearing those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back