48 Hour burned in HD598 can't beat PX100ii with 500+ hours of usage
Feb 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #16 of 21
Wow -

This is a bit disappointing to read.  I have had my mind on the HD 598 a few weeks now- and last night asked what everyone thought about my possibly buying those refurbished @ 169 (Amazon) over the 558 new - @ $95 new (a friend's employee discount at BB).  He got me the 439s last night for aboug $42.00.  I have the PX 100s - and I certainly do absolutely love them!  But with all of the rave about the HD 598 - I certainly was expecting them to sound much better than the PX 100 - at least - different.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
Wow -

This is a bit disappointing to read.  I have had my mind on the HD 598 a few weeks now- and last night asked what everyone thought about my possibly buying those refurbished @ 169 (Amazon) over the 558 new - @ $95 new (a friend's employee discount at BB).  He got me the 439s last night for aboug $42.00.  I have the PX 100s - and I certainly do absolutely love them!  But with all of the rave about the HD 598 - I certainly was expecting them to sound much better than the PX 100 - at least - different.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you have the PX100 the 598 are SO-SO MUCH in a higher class.  I guess the OP really likes the sound of his PX100ii, But those are the 2nd version (I've not heard) but if you have the 1st PX100 they sound just like the HD419 and the 419 isn't even in the same ball park as the 598, not even in the same game really...The 598 do EVERYTHING better!! 
 The HD558 at $100 is a No-Brainer.  IMO it is one of the best open cans I've ever heard.  I like it better then both the HD600 and 650..  Both of those being Well amped as well...

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. If you have the PX100 the 598 are SO-SO MUCH in a higher class.  I guess the OP really likes the sound of his PX100ii, But those are the 2nd version (I've not heard) but if you have the 1st PX100 they sound just like the HD419 and the 419 isn't even in the same ball park as the 598, not even in the same game really...The 598 do EVERYTHING better!! 
 The HD558 at $100 is a No-Brainer.  IMO it is one of the best open cans I've ever heard.  I like it better then both the HD600 and 650..  Both of those being Well amped as well...

Thanks - Yes, I can see how easy it would be to fall in love the PX100 line.  I go back to that one often. 

Not to hijack - (pardon OP)    I have some coupons too, so the cost will be at least another $25 cheaper for the 558.  I will strongly have to consider getting these.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

i won't go the extend that the HD558 and 598 sound better, but they are to me going to be no worse than the HD650 when unamped, since the HD650 is rather amp dependant. i tried it out at the shop yesterday, but when you amp it, it really shows itself that the HD650 is more refined overall and more natural sounding.(but less wide soundstage, though a more accurate soundstage)

note: not tried the px100 before i unfortunately i can't really join the discussion

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #21 of 21
When u listen to a pair of cans/iem extensively, ur judgement goes biased towards that pair. or perhaps ur mind is alrdy a accustomed to that sound and anything else that doesn't sounds like it sucks in ur mind's perception.

This is true, you listen using your ears but your brain adjusts to what is being heard. It seems the brain also filters what it hears. If there is too much bass that diminishes after a while, if you then put on a balanced pair of headphones initially they seem to lack bass and then the lack of bass diminishes after a while. This behaviour makes assessing headphones rather hazardous and I sometimes wonder when I read headphone A has fractionally more colouration in the upper midrange than headphone B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back