47 Laboratory "Model 0147" Headphone Amp
Apr 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 21
It's difficult to say because the translation is mostly gibberish and they don't provide measurements (noise, thd, etc) but I wouldn't spend 600$ of hard earned cash on that.

From what I understand, it has a gain stage which seems to be a discrete jfet opamp. This is followed by an open-loop buffer. Probably push-pull as they mention complementary transistors. Power supply is minimal, just some caps, no regulation. I see no opamps so there's probably no servo nor offset protection at the output.

If you wanted a discrete amplifier following the overall same philosophy (no global negative feedback, discrete output buffer), I'd rather have a look at the CKIII on amb's website. It fixes the main problem of the 47labs design (power supply, offset zeroing) and will probably cost you a fair bit less (even including case, etc..).

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 21
VERY interesting. My only real experience with 47 Labs was the Shigaraki DAC, and I must say that I've deeply regret selling it for quite a while. I'd like to know if Junji Kimura is still the designer and driving force at 47.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
VERY interesting. My only real experience with 47 Labs was the Shigaraki DAC, and I must say that I've deeply regret selling it for quite a while. I'd like to know if Junji Kimura is still the designer and driving force at 47.

I'm sure he is. Might want to ask Yoshi over at Sakura Systems. I'm sure he can tell you, as well as give you more information on the headphone amp.

se

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 21
In case you want to know, I translated a bit. It's never been a better time to be an ABC.

好 Raw 但超好聲 .... !

聲音純度很高,很透明,而且富有音樂性。

聲音非常有魅力,很有管味。

他們用這些工業級的零件,還有名聲不甚佳的 ALPS 藍殼碳膜 VR,甚至還沒有穩壓,聲音卻這麼乾淨透明,真是讓我配服不已。

Very 'raw,' but it sounds superb .... !
The music has a very pure sound to it. It's very transparent, but still sounds musical. (I've heard this phrase many times before, though.)
The sound is very powerful, with quite a bit of a tube flavor.
For them to use these industrial-level parts, as well as a not-so-good ALPS (not sure what '藍殼碳膜 VR' means, but individually the characters are blue-shell-carbon-film), and although there's no stable voltage (I'm guessing they're referring to a premium PSU), yet with such a clean and transparent sound, I can't help but be impressed. (配服 actually means 'look up to' or 'admire', in this case 47 labs, but I substituted 'impressed.')

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 21
If I understand correctly, basically that someone is saying that the amp has good transparency and musicality. It does not have the raw drive of some other solid state design, and actually is reminscient of a good gain card, smooth and natural, and has a trace of the tubey softness and liquidity. It is a elegant sound....

One interesting point is, that someone has his DIY kit assembly done by a Taiwaness DIY expert,and that expert mentioned that the assembly may best not be handled by a layman. I couldn't understand why he is saying this, could be the assembly of this kit is not easy task.

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 21
In general, DIY amps, or full-size ones at least, aren't really suitable projects for amateurs. AMB Labs even states that they're for more experienced builders, which is probably so considering their complexity.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 21
The 0147 kit is not even for beginner DIYers.

The copper wire is very very thin. The instruction PDF is in Japanese (47 Treasure say they are working on the English version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back