$450 budget what dac?
Aug 19, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are basing your opinion on because 2-3 people go on and on about the Beresford DAC and that annoys you? (I ask this because you still don't state if you've actually heard this unit.) I do not own this DAC nor never heard it myself. And though I understand your reaction to folks like Herandu who seemingly endlessly post about the Beresford, I'm not willing to pass any judgment on the unit. It would be foolish of me. Especially since I have listened to headphones that easily sound better than those twice its price. I am a firm believer in the sum of the whole can often sound greater than its parts - or cost - implies.

That's why I am always a sucker for such products. Lol eventually one will stick. I churn through different products faster than an audio reviewer. Always curious. Anyway, it's a potentially great candidate for budget-fi for sure.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I am always a sucker for such products. Lol eventually one will stick. I churn through different products faster than an audio reviewer. Always curious. Anyway, it's a potentially great candidate for budget-fi for sure.

I hear you. I love to try out different kit as well. It's fun to hear how one piece will impact how things sound.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are basing your opinion on because 2-3 people go on and on about the Beresford DAC and that annoys you? (I ask this because you still don't state if you've actually heard this unit.) I do not own this DAC nor never heard it myself. And though I understand your reaction to folks like Herandu who seemingly endlessly post about the Beresford, I'm not willing to pass any judgment on the unit. It would be foolish of me. Especially since I have listened to headphones that easily sound better than those twice its price. I am a firm believer in the sum of the whole can often sound greater than its parts - or cost - implies.

I'm basing my opinion on what I've read from the other people that have had it. Plus the internal pictures of it speak volumes.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #36 of 74
We'll see. My opinion is that the Beresford is probably better than the Zhalou stock. Which is fine b/c it costs less than the 2.5C does new.

Along those lines I would hope then that modding it will result in an even better dac than a modded Zhalou. If not, oh well.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Along those lines I would hope then that modding it will result in an even better dac than a modded Zhalou. If not, oh well.

I have posted my observation below.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...77&postcount=2

Many OMZ owners can't be happier.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

We'll see. My opinion is that the Beresford is probably better than the Zhalou stock. Which is fine b/c it costs less than the 2.5C does new.

Any impressions on the Beresford vs the MD10?

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Wouldn't be too sure of that. The mod'd Zhaolu has space for a nice discrete output stage - be it the Zapfilter or Oritek. Don't think the Beresford can fit that (unless you do something external).

I am enjoying my 7510, but it is NOWHERE near the Oritek Zhaolu to my ears. At about half the price, though, it's a winner, no doubt. But if you can afford at all a mod'd Zhaolu, go for it IMO.

I wish I also had my Zhaolu 2,5C here, with the cap bypass and LM4562 opamps; to me, that would be a better comparison to the Beresford (which DOES say a lot for the Beresford).

Just my opinion, others may vary.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 74
Yeah it would have to really get lucky to equal an Ori Zhalou I agree. This is simply budget-fi. I think initially that the 7510 is certainly worth the $$ unmodded though. Very acceptable sound to me.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #43 of 74
I bought AudioAlchemy DDE V3.0 DAC with DTI 32 Pro a couple of years ago with $450. I have been very happy with them. Although they were made around 10 years ago, their sound is difficult to be beated by any modern DAC in that price range.

You can still see them some time on audiogon\EBAY.

Cheers

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #44 of 74
$450 is a very tough price.

At $1000 or so I say go Benchmark...otherwise, the 0404 (under budget) is probably the best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back