May 17, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 15
That's not too bad and those are good little cars. A friend had one he called the Black Death (due to peeling paint) and had something like 263,000 miles on it.

How are the brake pads and master cylinder? If you haven't changed the pads, you can DIY those without too much trouble or cost. If they haven't been replaced lately, it's cheaper than repairing the discs and drums. I'd also go with a new set of plugs and wires if you haven't done those already.

Still, those are good cars and if you get five or six years out of it (and you should) your investment will seem like a bargain.

May 17, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1988 Nissan Sentra 1.6L 2-Door Coupe.
Grand Total = $2630.41 US

Not too bad if that's everything it needed. My '71 El Camino runs great, but the day I get around to fixing it up like it needs to be the whole operation is going to cost me ten grand and take a year to finish.

May 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 15
Don't sound all too bad to me, really!
Especially not if its now in condition for another 100,000 miles. Japanese cars are quite reliable indeed.

May 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 15
The price is not bad, hopefully nothing unexpected shows up. Buying used is worth while because a new car loses soo much value once you drive it off the parking lot!

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Updated the OP.

To-Dos:
* Alignment on tires
* Switch out tires (see bottom of the OP)
* Extended Warranty coverage... I want to protect my investment of 3 and a half grand :p
* New windshield

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

To-Dos:
* Alignment on tires
* Switch out tires (see bottom of the OP)
* Extended Warranty coverage... I want to protect my investment of 3 and a half grand :p
* New windshield

How do you plan on purchasing extended warranty coverage for your car?

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 15
how much did you pay for the car (like whats the total amount the car sold for)? that list makes it look like you are paying per month or you paid it off in two months, this mixes me up.

the list sounds like your having mechanics do the labor work, screw that and do it yourself. only way your going to learn and you will probably appreciate the car much more (plus with the Internet handy, any problem can be answered and told how to fix it).

also look online before you buy at NAPA if you can spare the time in getting the part, esp eBay..you should save more money.

forget the Warranty and do the work yourself, any repair that costs the amount the warranty does then get rid of the car. warranty is for new or fairly new cars but not a freaking 1988 Sentra. forget about protecting the car other then insurance and a good coat of wax..speaking of which i dont see no wax on that list. keep her clean and wax her, she is yours..show her some love

do the work yourself and have a ball, she can last you another 100K

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you plan on purchasing extended warranty coverage for your car?

There are companies that cover it for 100,000 miles from current Odometer reading, regardless if it's very high or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much did you pay for the car (like whats the total amount the car sold for)?

About 675$US, paid in two payments but don't remember why
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the list sounds like your having mechanics do the labor work, screw that and do it yourself. only way your going to learn and you will probably appreciate the car much more (plus with the Internet handy, any problem can be answered and told how to fix it).

Yeah, I hear you, but some of the work I just don't have the patience for. No way i'm going to do a pull-&-drop on engine blocks or major tranny work.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

There are companies that cover it for 100,000 miles from current Odometer reading, regardless if it's very high or not.

I'd advise you to do some research on whatever company you decide to go with on this. Make sure they cover the repairs that you expect will come up.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd advise you to do some research on whatever company you decide to go with on this. Make sure they cover the repairs that you expect will come up.

+++

There are so many scams out there with this I think it is only second to the Nigerians
tongue.gif

Good deal on the car though. I purchased a 2000 Neon for $1,300.00 and so far have put 40k miles (total 175k) on it and only did 4 tires, PM, and just spent $120.00 replacing drums, shoes, springs, cylinders, and lines on the rear brakes. Averaging about $.08 mile so far!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back