$400 BUDGET
Oct 20, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I know that country is the top selling music in the country but how many people know how to read a sheet of music (not tabs)? now you will probably argue with me but there are not that many people who can actually read music. when i say singing the way you are supposed to, i mean the way they have taught it for a long time. much longer than country has been in existence.

What does any of this have to do with enjoying music? Are you saying that people who enjoy country music will all of a sudden hate it if they take a Music Theory course? Or learn to play an instrument?

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing you should understand: I have played piano for 16 years and I'm only 19. I have been classically trained in music, so i know what the basics to good singing as well. Country singers do the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do when singing which puts emphasis on the vowels of words. Country singers put emphasis on the consonants. Every time I listen to Country, I cringe. I can't stand the singing and there is not a way for me to drown it out. Simply, it's horrible music.

This is going to be a reply to both, swmaxxx and the rest of the people here:

1. Swmaxx: you have very limited view on music if you consider things like a 'proper' way to sing. I am a classically trained guitarist, and actually know how to sing, but rest assured, I can also tell you that the classical musical training will not allow you to achieve alot of musical effects used in more aggressive modern music. Just consider Jazz and what they do with instruments often enough, and now apply these ideas to singing. Classical orients itself on smoothness, legato playing. Country heavily relies on bends and dampened sounds, which is what singing with emphasis on consonants is.

2. Whoever said country musicians do some interesting things musically, you also have a fairly limited view on things. In all honesty, I have yet to see any country musician do anything interesting. It sounds nice, relaxed, they do some very nice tunes...but it is nothing that stands out in the face of other music styles. The methods used in country conform to each other and ease of playing. Not that it is bad, but I have a hard time calling conforming music interesting.

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #33 of 37
Swmaxxx, I think now I can easily recommend the k701 hands down, since it sounds to me like you're a classical music buff who values clarity over warmth + heavier bass of the hd650s. Also, MaloS, I've played piano for 6 years and clarinet for 8+, Classical can hardly be shoehorned into just smoothness and legato. There is much more to classical music than can be fit into a single post.

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #35 of 37
look this has become way to much of a heated argument. I feel that country singers are craptastic and thats the way i'm always going to feel. Lets just all understand that i feel differently than most of you and that i made a controversial statement. lets give it a rest and start talking about some damn headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back