$400 BUDGET
Oct 19, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this isn't important at all but I just love the look of the k701's! The sr-404's are laking in that area lol. I'm scared I might be to self conscious wearing those say in the car or something like that. haha

i will give you that -- the sr-404s look ridiculous on your head. i would never wear them outside of the house! my wife even snickers as she walks by!

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #17 of 37
Before I jump Off Topic; I really like my MS2i and HD600 for all kinds of music....including Country!

Most Country is quite well recorded, really. The words might be too close to actual boring day-to-day reality for lots of folks, but so is Blues. At any rate; listen to the instruments and vocals and ignore the words if you want to, but Country can be some pretty darned good stuff from a purely musical perspective. It generally doesn't have the loudness engineered in that destroys the dynamic range for the sake of getting your attention, and the bass is usually of a more natural variety and not just overbearing for the sake of simply adding more bass cause some producer "thinks" that bass may the most important part of the music.

Anyway.....

.....*steps off soapbox*

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jterp7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know these 2 have probably been repeated in every thread but I'll still roll with them

AKG K701 $250
Senn HD650 $330

These are the new prices btw..your choice of music sounds a lot like mine actually which unfortunately means 1 or 2 genres may not be ideal with either of these (K701 technical clarity vs HD650 warmer more bass). I'm almost positive that my classical music isn't going to sound as great on the HD650 vs the K701 but since I listen to more bass heavy music than classical/jazz, probably 70/30% it made more sense for me to pick the HD650s.

With a $400 budget the HD650's are out though. You can't even consider a HD650 without an amp, they're too hard to drive.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 37
I gotta comment on both MS2i and HD600 at that.
tongue.gif

They both DO do a great job on most every type of music. The MS2i leans a little more to the brighter side and is more forward in presentation than HD600. The HD600 is more laid-back and warmer in nature than the MS2i, but it does feel a lot happier playing through an amp. The HD580 sounds a lot like HD600 but if they're still available, they can be bought inexpensively enough to get an entry-level amp to go along with them.

I have both MS2i and HD600 and find that quite often I will listen to the same tunes on one day that I listened to the other day on the other!

...huh?
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a $400 budget the HD650's are out though. You can't even consider a HD650 without an amp, they're too hard to drive.

Quote:

Yes, I have a $400 budget that I would like to spend on the best headphones I can buy.

I listen to all kinds of music with exception of country. (And I live in Oklahoma! heh)

I also will use them for movies and a whole lot of gaming. It would need to have a very nice soundstage in order to have a surround sound feel. (5.1 headphones are a joke)

Comfort is also a very precious feature. If it's not comfortable then it falls on the first hurdle.

The topic of an amp has also crossed my mind. [size=medium]The amp is outside of the $400 budget and please feel free to give me advice about them[/size].

Now, one thing I'm not sure about is whether to have them open or closed. I have also been hearing about semi-open cans. I would assume it's in between. Well, I'm not very knowledgeable in this area so I will need the pros and cons if possible.

Thanks so much for the help.
600smile.gif

yup

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I jump Off Topic; I really like my MS2i and HD600 for all kinds of music....including Country!

Most Country is quite well recorded, really. The words might be too close to actual boring day-to-day reality for lots of folks, but so is Blues. At any rate; listen to the instruments and vocals and ignore the words if you want to, but Country can be some pretty darned good stuff from a purely musical perspective. It generally doesn't have the loudness engineered in that destroys the dynamic range for the sake of getting your attention, and the bass is usually of a more natural variety and not just overbearing for the sake of simply adding more bass cause some producer "thinks" that bass may the most important part of the music.

Anyway.....

.....*steps off soapbox*

One thing you should understand: I have played piano for 16 years and I'm only 19. I have been classically trained in music, so i know what the basics to good singing as well. Country singers do the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do when singing which puts emphasis on the vowels of words. Country singers put emphasis on the consonants. Every time I listen to Country, I cringe. I can't stand the singing and there is not a way for me to drown it out. Simply, it's horrible music.

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

One thing you should understand: I have played piano for 16 years and I'm only 19. I have been classically trained in music, so i know what the basics to good singing as well. Country singers do the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do when singing which puts emphasis on the vowels of words. Country singers put emphasis on the consonants. Every time I listen to Country, I cringe. I can't stand the singing and there is not a way for me to drown it out. Simply, it's horrible music.

biggrin.gif
While F107plus5 did post a candid opinion of Country during a suggestion thread, I'm not sure if it's "good form" to insult a genre that he clearly feels passionately about. While you may greatly dislike that specific genre, I think it would be best just to say that you don't care for it, etc.

Passions can run pretty hot when it comes to music. It's best just to let it go, agree to disagree, and move on. People get along much better.

I'm a vocal instructor, and while I agree with many of your points, Country is still a viable genre of music containing many skilled and exceptional musicians.

Different strokes for different folks, sir.

Nylan

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

How can anyone know an exact way of how to sing? Music is a form of art, and there is no strict rules on how art should be applied. It is a matter of creativity and preference.

Sorry for being off the topic.

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by outmatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can anyone know an exact way of how to sing? Music is a form of art... It is a matter of creativity and preference.

Whilst yes music is a form of art, there are certain forms and ways of applying art that are more easy to digest for most. It's like listening to someone sing out of key: you might know that they're trying their best, and possibly putting their heart into it - expressing themselves creativly - but it still sounds bloody horrible. Perhaps that's the sort of thing country music does to swmaxxx.

I myself don't mind country all that much, but uh this is all way off topic isn't it?
redface.gif

Anyway, back to the headphone speak
3000smile.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanLucD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whilst yes music is a form of art, there are certain forms and ways of applying art that are more easy to digest for most. It's like listening to someone sing out of key: you might know that they're trying their best, and possibly putting their heart into it - expressing themselves creativly - but it still sounds bloody horrible. Perhaps that's the sort of thing country music does to swmaxxx.

I myself don't mind country all that much, but uh this is all way off topic isn't it?
redface.gif

Anyway, back to the headphone speak
3000smile.gif

You lead off by saying that certain forms of art are "more easy to digest for most."

Country music is the #1 selling music in the U.S.

If you really want to follow along with that line of reasoning, you are empirically wrong.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 37
Yea I know that country is the top selling music in the country but how many people know how to read a sheet of music (not tabs)? now you will probably argue with me but there are not that many people who can actually read music. when i say singing the way you are supposed to, i mean the way they have taught it for a long time. much longer than country has been in existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back