$400 BUDGET
Oct 16, 2007 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

swmaxxx

Head-Fier
Yes, I have a $400 budget that I would like to spend on the best headphones I can buy.

I listen to all kinds of music with exception of country. (And I live in Oklahoma! heh)

I also will use them for movies and a whole lot of gaming. It would need to have a very nice soundstage in order to have a surround sound feel. (5.1 headphones are a joke)

Comfort is also a very precious feature. If it's not comfortable then it falls on the first hurdle.

The topic of an amp has also crossed my mind. The amp is outside of the $400 budget and please feel free to give me advice about them.

Now, one thing I'm not sure about is whether to have them open or closed. I have also been hearing about semi-open cans. I would assume it's in between. Well, I'm not very knowledgeable in this area so I will need the pros and cons if possible.

Thanks so much for the help.
600smile.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 37
a simple x-fi (xtrememusic?) should be sufficient for most mid-fi headphones.

dt770pro-80ohms + x-fi = great gaming/movie cans. great bass for music too, but some do not like the recessed mids.

also look at audio technica a900

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 37
A Stax SR-404 for sure...
Imo the best sounding sub-$400 headphone (new that is) on the market.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you settle for used cans? The price premium for new is about 20-40%.

To be honest, I would much rather have new cans. Burning them in is part of the experience. Call me strange but if I'm going to pay so much for some headphones then I want a relationship with them. haha
orphsmile.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Stax SR-404 for sure...
Imo the best sounding sub-$400 headphone (new that is) on the market.

I took a look at the Stax SR-404s and I'm sure they sound fantastic but they look very uncomfortable. Reminds me of the AKG K1000s.

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took a look at the Stax SR-404s and I'm sure they sound fantastic but they look very uncomfortable. Reminds me of the AKG K1000s.

They might not look comfortable from looking at a picture.
But I can assure they are very comfortable. They are light weight and provide very low pressure around the ear.

But what comfortable or not might vary between individuals.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

i'm sitting here with sr-404s on my head. i can assure you that they are REMARKABLY comfortable. i considered my old hd600s comfortable (i could easily wear them all day). the sr-404s are lighter and have less head clamp and fit nicely over your ear. i could wear them indefinitely.

i agree with krmathis -- they are a superb value for <$400.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

To be honest, I would much rather have new cans. Burning them in is part of the experience. Call me strange but if I'm going to pay so much for some headphones then I want a relationship with them. haha
orphsmile.gif

I know these 2 have probably been repeated in every thread but I'll still roll with them

AKG K701 $250
Senn HD650 $330

These are the new prices btw..your choice of music sounds a lot like mine actually which unfortunately means 1 or 2 genres may not be ideal with either of these (K701 technical clarity vs HD650 warmer more bass). I'm almost positive that my classical music isn't going to sound as great on the HD650 vs the K701 but since I listen to more bass heavy music than classical/jazz, probably 70/30% it made more sense for me to pick the HD650s.

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 37
I know this isn't important at all but I just love the look of the k701's! The sr-404's are laking in that area lol. I'm scared I might be to self conscious wearing those say in the car or something like that. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back