40 years since I bought my Koss electrostatics can any one go further back in time?
Feb 20, 2009 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kingprinter

New Head-Fier
Hi. Just reminiscing looking at the new Sennheiser HD 800s. I have at the moment HD 600s hooked to a Sugden Headmaster and like what I hear, But it's 40 years since I purchased a pair of Koss ESP 9 electrostatic phones, I think the price then was £90.00 stirling, I took a bank loan to fund them and thought they where fantastic, they plugged into an energising box that could be plugged into the mains, which I never did. The point of this thread, is there any members familiar with these, or still using them, & what was the point of the mains connection. I let them go after a good few years, the balance seemed to go wrong and no one could fix it. Are there any other members of this forum that go back that far?. I am still bitten was that bug for great sounding headphones.

Will the Cardas cables on my 600s fit the new HD 800s?

Thanks

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 8
40 years ago takes me back to 1969, just before I got into audio with my own system, and headphones too. My Koss stats have gone teats-up also, but the Stax are fine.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 8
Thats impressive!
I was not even born 40 years ago...

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats impressive!

I wasn't even conceptualized
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Neither was I. Hmm, my father, now deceased, sometime back about 40 years ago (might not be so far back, I don't remember) bought a pair of HD414s. They are still floating around my house. I intend to dig them out the next time I head back to Australia. Apparently they are 1kOhm!

There are a couple of Beyer and Senn owners here IIRC from that far back.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Nope, I'm 29 years old...........again :wink:

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats impressive!

Whaaaat?...You look older than me in pictures.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm not 40 years old but I've owned a couple of ESP9's and the mains socket was for the bias which didn't have to rely on the the music signal as a power source. The bias voltage is a bit higher in AC mode so you get greater dynamics etc.

I do have a Stax headphone here, SR-1, that is nearly 50 years old and works perfectly. The SR-1 which was first introduced in 1959 and stopped production in 1966-67. They still put many moving coil phones to shame...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back