4 gigs vs 8 gigs RAM on MBP?
Sep 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

mink70

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I recently upgraded from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of RAM on my late-'09 MacBook Pro, and the increase in sq was tremendous when using Amarra. Would an upgrade to 8 gigs result in another significant upgrade, or something minimal/marginal? Thanks!

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 27
You're kidding, right?

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:
There should be not a single reason why RAM upgrades would have any effect on sound, ever. 

This x 1000000000.
If this is indeed happening, something's wrong with your player.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
Why in the world not? Lots of listeners have documented improved sound quality after upgrading RAM. John Atkinson in Stereophile, for example.

I upgraded my late 09 MBP from 2GB to 8GB RAM. I did hear a huge difference; as in I can now open up my music programs faster and hear the music sooner. But SQ is exactly the same to me. Upgrade to a SSD and then there will be a massive difference in speed and I might believe less noise (thus better SQ?).

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Upgrade to a SSD and then there will be a massive difference in speed and I might believe less noise (thus better SQ?).

Speed, yes.
SQ, no. Unless something (like an amp etc) is picking up the RF noise from your HDD.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

This x 1000000000.
If this is indeed happening, something's wrong with your player.

It could be that Amarra is a resource hog (last time I saw it working, it seemed to be that way), and that there's a lack of ram in the system overall (not probable, 2GBs is huge, my media server has less than that) resulting in the player stuttering or something. But that wouldn't be a SQ increase, rather the SQ returning to normal. Again I'm oversimplifying, there seems to be no reason to get into too much technical detail, as common sense would generally dictate against this whole issue.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
It could be that Amarra is a resource hog (last time I saw it working, it seemed to be that way), and that there's a lack of ram in the system overall (not probable, 2GBs is huge, my media server has less than that) resulting in the player stuttering or something. But that wouldn't be a SQ increase, rather the SQ returning to normal. Again I'm oversimplifying, there seems to be no reason to get into too much technical detail, as common sense would generally dictate against this whole issue.

I agree, a possible cause would be buffer underrun, but that would cause gaps and stutter as you say. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Speed, yes.
SQ, no. Unless something (like an amp etc) is picking up the RF noise from your HDD.

This happens with the FiiO E10s. A lot. That and the noisy socket makes me think twice about keeping it.

Still don't see a link. Guess I'll find this Stereophile article myself.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:
This happens with the FiiO E10s. A lot. That and the noisy socket makes me think twice about keeping it.

Still don't see a link. Guess I'll find this Stereophile article myself.

The E10 has noise issues with sensitive headphones/IEMs, but I'm not sure its because of the HDD. Have you tried it on some other device to ensure that?

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 27
Two laptops and a desktop. Although it could just be the noisy socket (really, really bad socket). I detect some noise when my cell phone is next to it as well. Same noise on another E10 as well. My Benchmarks seem fine (maybe because there's actually shielding, though not on purpose I guess)

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:
Two laptops and a desktop. Although it could just be the noisy socket (really, really bad socket). I detect some noise when my cell phone is next to it as well. Same noise on another E10 as well. My Benchmarks seem fine (maybe because there's actually shielding, though not on purpose I guess)

Then it seems the E10 is picking up noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back